Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Duke Johnson value on another team?

I own Duke in a few leagues and am considering trading for him in a few others.  I've always felt he was seriously underused in Cleveland.  In college, he was pretty awesome to watch, and the games I've seen of his as a pro, he's displayed the same vision and cutting ability that made him so good in the NCAA.  I know this totally depends on where he ends up, but do you believe he could be a valuable asset going forward?  I think he's a super sneaky play and that many other teams see his value.  I expect him to be traded prior to the season.  I'm sure teams right now are afraid to offer much as the guy they may covet in the draft could be much cheaper.  I see him as more than a 3rd down back.  In PPR leagues, he can be valuable without rushing yardage.  On a decent team that will use him, he could be so much more.  I think he's worth a flier and worth throwing out some lowball trade offers.  The risk vs. reward is pretty high on this guy. 

I think it depends where he lands.  

you are right.  he was underused relative to the talent he has.

but there is a very good reason for this.   He has had concussion problems of the more serious variety.   For this reason I suspect he will always be underutilized and wont ever play much more than the role he currently plays.    

Hes able to do more.  I agree, but given the nature of the concussion issues, it seems prudent to keep him in the role he currently plays (as a pass catching back who generally does not run between the tackles)

I suspect his role wherever he lands will be no different than the role he plays now.   There is a good chance if they try to expand his role, he will find himself with another concussion.

I dont wanna be negative,  I like the guy.   But his medical situation makes it tough to increase his usage beyond what it is now.  one more concussion could well end his career.

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I know this totally depends on where he ends up, but do you believe he could be a valuable asset going forward?  I think he's a super sneaky play and that many other teams see his value.  I expect him to be traded prior to the season.  I'm sure teams right now are afraid to offer much as the guy they may covet in the draft could be much cheaper.  I see him as more than a 3rd down back.  In PPR leagues, he can be valuable without rushing yardage.   

This.  He can be a great play in PPR, but this will depend on scheme and how the OC will use him.  Either you wait and see where he lands where you can assess better, or you find someone who speculates high before he moves.

Don’t know how one can value his stock before you who he’s playing with.  

38 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Don’t know how one can value his stock before you who he’s playing with.  

I agree.  it is hard.    All I'm saying is that I feel the role he plays on his new team (wherever that may be) will likely be the same role hes played the last year or two.  This will limit his value in all formats. he will likely still be draftable in all PPR formats but I'd be surprised if hes anything other than a bye week filler in standard formats.

If he was the main receiving back in N.E. he would be  high end RB2.

Put him in Seattle. Undraftable. 

New England would likely be where his value would be the greatest.   However, I think the odds of him playing there are not great.

He would be a rb5 in a non ppr league 

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

New England would likely be where his value would be the greatest.   However, I think the odds of him playing there are not great.

He would have a good home with KC maybe. Chicago but they already have Cohen. Maybe Philly, Pitt, Atlanta...?

Raiders in the afc west. 

Steelers in the afc north

Colts in the afc south

Pats in the afc east. 

Skins in the nfc east

Bucs in the nfc south

Vikings in the nfc north

Seahawks in the nfc west. 

Those would be his best fit per divison.  

Thanks. 

22 hours ago, weepaws said:

Raiders in the afc west. 

Steelers in the afc north

Colts in the afc south

Pats in the afc east. 

Skins in the nfc east

Bucs in the nfc south

Vikings in the nfc north

Seahawks in the nfc west. 

Those would be his best fit per divison.  

Thanks. 

Raiders have an accomplished pass catching back in Jalen Richard. They need an early down pounder.

Steelers have Connor & Samuels.

Colts have Mack, Hines & Wilkins.

Pats have White, Michel & Burkhead.

Skins have Guice, AP & Thompson.

Bucs could use Duke if RoJo is a bust. Vikes could use back up behind Cooks. Seahawks don't need him behind Carson or Penny.

So two possible fits.

• Like 1

What about Houston? Miller is not a every down back and kind of sucks. Blue is gone. Maybe perfect fit for a Watson dump pass.

I think the Texans would be a very good landing spot for him. 

that's assuming the Texans are smart enough to realize a player like him would help the team.

Texans or the Bucs would be great fits.  I'm thinking he would fit in better with the Bucs than anyone.  He is a good runner with good vision.  With Arians, he could be a star.  I'm not sure how the Texans would use him.  They don't seem to use their players very wisely, outside of Hopkins.  Their front seven on defense, on paper, should be nearly insurmountable.  It isn't though.  It's not even all that great.  I think that's horrible coaching. 

Think the Colts of all the teams in the afc south would be a great spot for him. 

I agree, Atlanta could be a nice place for him.  Especially with the departure of Tevin Coleman.

I would agree about the Falcons.  

Reason why I picked the Bucs in that divison was their bigger need at the rb postion 

Not saying it would happen.  But GB is a fit.  LaFleur comes from a system where at least 2 backs get used.  Aaron Jones is a very good runner but average hands and pass pro.   Williams is a bigger back but can play 3rd down.  Has solid hands and pass protection.  However he is slow.  Duke would bring a real 3rd down back to GB.  Something they never seem to have these days.  

All depends how Lafleur sees Williams.  I think he is a decent role player backup.  But they can do better.   If they arent in position to land Rodgers enough help in the draft, then maybe they trade a late pick to diversify their backfield.  Rodgers will still throw it enough but Lafleur likes to run the ball and use backs and TEs and bunch formations.