Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Ed Oliver vs. Q. Williams

While I think Williams is the better D Tackle, I don't think Oliver is far behind.  Close enough, in my mind, that I wouldn't be shocked if a team took Oliver over Williams.  I only mention this because it's the slow season and there really isn't anything else to discuss.  So....  Do you have them closely rated?  I heard on NFL Radio that some Scouts apparently have Oliver above Williams, and I guess I can see why.  He played on a defense that offered him no protection what-so-ever, yet he put up solid numbers every season.  Williams, had one excellent season, but also played alongside several others going to the NFL, so how much did that help his numbers? 

If I had a top pick, and someone wanted Williams, I would absolutely move down a bit for Oliver and not be at all disappointed.  Williams has been consistently in the top 4 of the Mock Drafts since December.  Oliver was the consensus top overall pick 6 months ago.  Now he's being mocked anywhere from the 8th pick to the 24th...  Interesting scenario, but if Williams goes to the Raiders at #4, and Oliver slides down to the late teens, would they consider trading up for him?  That would certainly help fix their run defense. 

They arent exactly the same players nor same position so they arent exactly just interchangable.  

But yeah both real good prospects.  Williams had Davis and Buggs there who were supposed to be the studs and he outshined and out worked them.  I want that guy on my team.  

It is the deepest Dline draft I have ever seen.  So any team who wants a DL could trade down and still end up with a real good DL prospect.

I think Williams is a lock for a top 4 pick unless trade ups for QBs start flying.

I know this is highly improbable, but I would love to see the Raiders get Williams at #4 and then trade back up to get Oliver if he begins to slip a bit.  The thought of those two on the same defensive line is enticing.  The interior lines of the teams in their division isn't so great, so it could be a fun show to watch from the very beginning. 

18 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I know this is highly improbable, but I would love to see the Raiders get Williams at #4 and then trade back up to get Oliver if he begins to slip a bit.  The thought of those two on the same defensive line is enticing.  The interior lines of the teams in their division isn't so great, so it could be a fun show to watch from the very beginning. 

Yes it is improbable.  The Raiders already have Hurst and Parker from last years draft class.  Even just drafting Q would be a bit of a luxury.  The Raiders are drafting for the future and need an influx of talent.  I can't see them packaging 2 first round picks to move up for a player with so many needs.