Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Cobain ate a shotgun blast 25 years ago today...

The Clash are the only band that mattered. Rocks peak. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Music seems to severely narrow some people's minds

Everyone defends their taste. Nirvana changed the direction of music. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a top 5 all time song that turned the music world upside down. Doesn't matter if it holds up or not. 

5 hours ago, MDC said:

I don’t get the hate. 

It's nothing personal. I just  ... um.... despise 90s music. I had liked 80s music and wound up stopping listening to any new music when I was 20 years old. So for his role in ending good music and entering the whining era, well, we'd have been better off without his contribution. No doubt others disagree.

Really, I spent the 90s ignoring new music. If I wanted something new, I'd attempt to rediscover music from the 70s, 60s, and 50s.

26 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

It's nothing personal. I just  ... um.... despise 90s music. I had liked 80s music and wound up stopping listening to any new music when I was 20 years old. So for his role in ending good music and entering the whining era, well, we'd have been better off without his contribution. No doubt others disagree.

Really, I spent the 90s ignoring new music. If I wanted something new, I'd attempt to rediscover music from the 70s, 60s, and 50s.

If it wasn’t Nirvana it would have been somebody else. And if you want unironic radio rock there are plenty of bands out there. The War on Drugs, Ty Seagal and of course Steel Panther.

5 hours ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

the Ramones (or, to a slightly lesser extent, the Sex Pistols) belong in that chain as the bridge from Hendrix to Nirvana. 

I see your point.There is a void there.  In the case of the Ramones: They didn't exactly beat the rest of the world to Barr chords and three chord progressions. I like everything about the Ramones. I just don't think they switched anything up. I didn't listen to much Sex Pistols. I guess you could through the Clash into the mix as well. They may of brought more contempt and attitude to the table than musical innovation. But someone else should comment. I would say that the Beach Boys did influence other artist, but did nothing that compares with the game changer artist I originally mentioned. Eddie Van Halen alone, probably trumps the Beach Boys, influence wise. VH music as a group, wasn't more than entertainment. 

5 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Music seems to severely narrow some people's minds

That's not supposed to be what happens, right? I am a member of a handful of electric guitar sites, and you would not believe the hate Kurt Cobain got on a Telecaster forum. The guitar players there seem to be in love with technical playing and "taste", but can't accept anything new that comes along. 

The Ramones are The Beach Boys sped up.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

He shouldnt have been shooting his mouth off. 

On 4/6/2019 at 4:58 AM, Frozenbeernuts said:

Their lyrics were well written. 

:lol::lol::lol:

As compared to what? A 3 year olds first spoken sentence? 

On 4/7/2019 at 5:33 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

The Clash are the only band that mattered. Rocks peak. 

This is the only time in my life I cried for someone I didn't know personally. I actually had to take a seat. Nirvana and the smashing pumpkins were the bands of my youth. I was not into the grunge style. I was the typical 90s kid. In ugly pastels. However the music hit home.  Some of the best songs they did were covers. Lake of fire to this day gives me chills. 

7 hours ago, nospk said:

What a great interview. Must have been right before he died. I wish he would have told Springsteen how important a band is in about 1988.