Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Pick a tie

Or find a classic width, bright medium blue (ish), non-solid, tie you like and post.

Tie 1

Tie 2

Tie 3

I'm kind of breaking my own rules with the last two because the shade of the first is more "in the zone" but they have other aspects that nudge them up (I'm thinking).

ETA: Should add this is for button down and slacks, probably never a full suit look. Everyday teacher wear.

4 minutes ago, naomi said:

Or find a classic width, bright medium blue (ish), non-solid, tie you like and post.

Tie 1

Tie 2 in Navy

Tie 3

I'm kind of breaking my own rules with the last two because the shade of the first is more "in the zone" but they have other aspects that nudge them up (I'm thinking).

https://www.zulily.com/p/navy-blue-orange-stripe-handmade-silk-tie-348198-53592500.html

• Like 2

^Just edited that into the OP. High school teacher everyday-ish wear.

Christ, you edited every tie from the OP.  

1 minute ago, naomi said:

^Just edited that into the OP. High school teacher everyday-ish wear.

The overall product link was sometimes defaulting to a different colored tie so it worked better to copy the url for the specific tie's photo.

4 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

Who is it for? 

Boyfriend.

I like #3 the best but I think he'd probably like/feel more himself in #1 a little more. His tie collection is super wide ranging but a little more zany leaning than sophisticated.

How much would you want to spend?

21 hours ago, naomi said:

Tie 1

Tie 2

Tie 3

ETA: Should add this is for button down and slacks, probably never a full suit look. Everyday teacher wear.

tie 3 is purple?

i'd wear none of those. but im a plaid or plaid-ish tie guy

something like this but obviously in the color you want  https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41HJyymTmLL.jpg

Don't buy ties for anyone. They are individual to the personality. Let him get his own and wear want he wants. I'm sure the clothes you picked out for him show enough of your personality already.

10 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

How much would you want to spend?

$40 

50 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

tie 3 is purple?

i'd wear none of those. but im a plaid or plaid-ish tie guy

something like this but obviously in the color you want  https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41HJyymTmLL.jpg

It is purple. They have it in blue and navy too but the texture-like effect looks cooler in the purple composite.

I saw a number of ties similar to that plaid one. Might revisit some of the blues.

7 minutes ago, sderk said:

Don't buy ties for anyone. They are individual to the personality. Let him get his own and wear want he wants. I'm sure the clothes you picked out for him show enough of your personality already.

He's a minimalist in almost everything with the exception of ties. I don't know what an average tie collection is like but he has well over 30. They seem really divergent too, just nothing stuffy/proper/super classic. I think he would be charmed by adding another one, gifted by a gf.

I remembered yesterday that he once told me I could help him out with his wardrobe. I've never given or picked out clothes for him. And I don't think I will except for contribute tie #63. I wouldn't know where to start, and if I started, I'm afraid it would start being a total revamp. He's not stylish and his personality is what talks loud for him, so I just feel like rolling with it.

14 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Here are some versatile ties for you guys 

navy/yellow

just threw up a little

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

just threw up a little

looks better from a distance

1 hour ago, naomi said:

He's a minimalist in almost everything with the exception of ties. I don't know what an average tie collection is like but he has well over 30. They seem really divergent too, just nothing stuffy/proper/super classic. I think he would be charmed by adding another one, gifted by a gf.

I remembered yesterday that he once told me I could help him out with his wardrobe. I've never given or picked out clothes for him. And I don't think I will except for contribute tie #63. I wouldn't know where to start, and if I started, I'm afraid it would start being a total revamp. He's not stylish and his personality is what talks loud for him, so I just feel like rolling with it.

I see. Makes sense then if that is the case. I'm pretty simplistic in my tastes as well. But probably even more. I think I have lived my life in sweat pants for the most part.

But, if  I had a vote in your list, it would be tie #2 in navy. 

4 hours ago, naomi said:

i've been trying to be more minimalistic in all aspects. I tend to get "collectiony". Used to be shot glasses, now things like golf poker chips from places i've played or cool events other geeks have been and sent to me. I like picking up something here and there from places or events I go but i've cut back. 

Clothing has never been an issue. I hate shopping. I wear the same several outfits until they are no longer presentable and i'm forced to replace so as not to look like a homeless person. If it wasn't for the fact I also have a golf wardrobe ( i do enjoy golf clothes shopping), I would literally have a small work wardrobe, some jeans and decent shirts for bars/dates and workout clothes for working out and general use.

I do wear ties to work and I have owned maybe 25 ties at the peak, but have more or less stoppede purchasing ties. I've gotten rid of some of the older ones or the obviously stained ones (keeping ties clean is a biiitch. and if you dare have one dry cleaned, it comes out looking like dog shiiit. I now rotate my favorite several and some just kind of sit there.... for example im not big on red (shirts or ties) but i've got a red tie just in case. 

17 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Clothing has never been an issue. I hate shopping. I wear the same several outfits until they are no longer presentable and i'm forced to replace so as not to look like a homeless person. If it wasn't for the fact I also have a golf wardrobe ( i do enjoy golf clothes shopping), I would literally have a small work wardrobe, some jeans and decent shirts for bars/dates and workout clothes for working out and general use.

I do wear ties to work and I have owned maybe 25 ties at the peak, but have more or less stoppede purchasing ties. I've gotten rid of some of the older ones or the obviously stained ones (keeping ties clean is a biiitch. and if you dare have one dry cleaned, it comes out looking like dog shiiit. I now rotate my favorite several and some just kind of sit there.... for example im not big on red (shirts or ties) but i've got a red tie just in case. 

Lol, the bold is pretty much his approach for his non-work wear. It fits him though and I kind of appreciate the simplicity. On one day of our last trip he wore a t-shirt that's more than 15 years old.

He faithfully cycles through all his ties.

I embraced the novelty approach and pulled the trigger on this one. There's one time of year it's definitely meant to get wear but he'll probably work it in a few times.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, naomi said:

Lol, the bold is pretty much his approach for his non-work wear. It fits him though and I kind of appreciate the simplicity.

He faithfully cycles through all his ties.

I embraced the novelty approach and pulled the trigger on this one. There's one time of year it's definitely meant to get wear but he'll probably work it in a few times.

ha. i do appreciate the novelty of that tie. seems like a good choice for the guy and being a teacher and all. 

the funny thing is, I consider myself to have a decent sense of style, i simply hate shopping in general but definitely for clothing. I tend to dins items I love and either buy a few in different colors or forget to and then once it's time to replace, I can never find them again. .... which reminds me I need to track down and purchase another pair of these shoes before its too late because they are amazingly comfortable and a great design https://www.shoecarnival.com/dw/image/v2/BBSZ_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-scvl-master-catalog/default/dw99f2e3fe/95225_184119_1.jpg?sw=700&sh=593&sm=fit

if the tie is for CH, I don't give a crap about the style...but I will suggest a knot he can use.

New York Giants vs. St. Louis Cardinals (20-20), October 24, 1983

After tying the game with a late field goal in regulation, Cards kicker Neil O’Donoghue missed three potential game-winners in overtime, including two in the final 66 seconds. The most egregious was a chip-shot 20-yard push that came on second down, when Cardinals coach Jim Hanifan believed, not incorrectly, that kicking the equivalent of an extra point was a safer play than running a play from scrimmage.