Sign in to follow this  
the lone star

What If The Commish Accidentally Breaks The Rules?

In one league, the Commish would set the clock for our draft and/or the length of the free agency period. There are express rules that govern how long each person has to pick, and how long the free agency period is. However, the Commish wasn't really aware of these rules and thought that he could just change them whenever he wanted and for the convenience of the league. There are also rules in place that govern how rules should be changed, and this procedure wasn't followed.

Now, nobody actually challenged these new rules, but in the event that they were challenged, then what do you think should have been done? Should it have reverted back to how it is in writing, or should the Commish's wishes have won out? Should the procedure for changing the rules have been strictly followed, or would it just be OK to hold an impromptu vote and see how many people are in favor for the new rules?

• Confused 1

So the rules basically just say Free agency starts on the Xth week after the draft, and last for Y amount of weeks. The league's rookie draft will then be held on week Z, and last for AA weeks, with BB minutes/hours per pick.

What If The Commish Accidentally Breaks The Rules?

Call him out and set things right? :dunno:

do the rules allow for the commish to be executed football style?   If so, that is your best option here.

On 4/9/2019 at 10:09 PM, the lone star said:

Now, nobody actually challenged these new rules

Perhaps the original doctrine of rules needs to be discussed in your league.

As a commish, I would not agree to commish a league where I could not make changes as long as I let everyone know before the fantasy draft.  Changes are necessary or we'd all still be playing in td only leagues without decimals.

I've taken polls and announce that I am looking for input from league mates on rule/scoring changes, but as commish I need to do what I think is best for the league.

Vote.  

The league I’m in I’ve been in now since the late eighties, the current commish as held office now since 2009. 

The league is a live league, it’s home base is South Lake Tahoe. 

We do a like draft, the size of the league has changed based on who’s available to use still alive lol. 

We’ve been a small league of only six teams and up to fourteen teams. Right now it’s fourteen returning starters.  

No league changes are made strictly by the commish, all changes must be voted on by all thirteen other owners. 

The commish has no vote.  

All rules are set in stone one month  before the draft, that usually takes place right after the last preseason game.  

Thanks  

I believe the traditional punishment in this case is warranted.  Punch him in the face in front of his wife and kids.

If he's not married you'll have to match him up and wait for him to procreate.  That's an important part of the tradition.

Yes of course that’s what we need, more violence in this world.  

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

Yes of course that’s what we need, more violence in this world.  

Agreed. Especially against the lefty democratic fantasy football players. :cheers:

On 4/15/2019 at 11:38 AM, Showboat said:

The Commish should be allowed to create/change any rules on the fly as circumstances warrant.

Not sure I agree with that. What if that means changing the rules so that they have a retroactive effect? What if he changes the rules right after collecting dues? What if he nixes a deal that appears to be for fair-market-value and was negotiated in good-faith?

On 4/15/2019 at 9:38 AM, Showboat said:

The Commish should be allowed to create/change any rules on the fly as circumstances warrant.

If the commish isn’t a owner I’m ok with that.  

If the commish is a owner there should always be a league vote without the commish being a part of the vote. 

Thanks