seahawksfantasysports

Need help: Most competitive league settings?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "competitive" and "best", maybe elaborate.

If you want a league that anybody can win regardless of acumen-experience keep the team count down, the rosters shallow, and lineups small. Like an 8 or 10 team league with 14-16 roster slots and lineups such as QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/K/D. Also keep the scoring simple and weighted to TDs. This will insure anybody can hit the WW at any point in the week, even last minute, and scoop a start-able player. By keeping the starting lineup smaller and scoring geared to fluky TDs, even big K or D weeks can easily overcome an opponents stronger lineup. This type of league will be very competitive in the sense that anybody who tries can win, all skill and experience levels will compete. lots of luck in play here.

If you want competitive differentiation, make everything larger 16 -32 team league,  24-30 roster slots.  Larger starting lineups like maybe QB/RB/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/Flex/Flex. A team can start 1 RB or 5 for instance. Make the scoring such that RB/WR/TE are relatively equal based on previous years stats which will add to the tactical draft, roster, and start decision between RB/WR/TE. Lose the head to head and go with a victory points or all play schedule which will also take some luck out of the equation. This type of league needs a group of very competitive players because those who are just a little bit slow will quickly get left behind, and it will be near impossible to catch up. There is going to be differentiation, but it likely will not be competitive from top to bottom.

The best scoring settings are all about preference. For every person that screams 1 point PPR, another says standard and another will say 1/2 ppr. The most competitive leagues revolve around prizes, and the weekly settings don't really matter. Finding a way for a last place team in week 5 to still pay attention is usually the most difficult part. Whether that's giving all teams financial incentive late in the year, or making it so all teams still have a shot at the playoffs late in the year. The week to week settings don't matter much for competition since everyone is playing by the same rules. If your league sticks around long enough you can adjust the scoring systems to fit the people in the leagues preference.

To keep it competitive, add small monetary incentives to things like high score for the week. Just not so small that no one cares

Agree with all three posters above.  

Also I would make it a head to head league, and add in total points.  

Keeps more owners involved late into the season. 

And money talks like posted above. 

Also like limits on fa moves and trades. 

Must have a active player at every starting postion every week.  

Bonus for high scores and lowest scores must pay some to the pot.  

Money talks  

I think that’s interesting, I think head to head is the lest competitive.  

I think over all gives you the true measure of ones over all team performance.  

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think that’s interesting, I think head to head is the lest competitive.  

I think over all gives you the true measure of ones over all team performance.  

Competitive and true measure are two entirely different things. Total points is boring week to week and teams are eliminated from contention far earlier. It actually creates a lack of competition.

True measure of a team is its ability to competitive.  

I find head to head a very boring way of trying to measure up ones ff season.  

You can have a team in a 14 team league that for four straight weeks is the second highest scoring team in a league, but lose all four of those games because the team that they play each of those four straight weeks is the highest scoring team in the league. 

So head to head you have a 0-4 team, now let’s not come back with that never happens statement,  because it happens a lot.  

But yet that same team as now finished second in most points scored in all four of those weeks and is the number one scoring team. 

That team is being very competitive and the over all total points is showing how that team truly measures up to the rest of the league. 

Not its 0-4 record.  

Its not a debate, but it’s my own personal feeling, I much appreciate total points more then luck, and I think head to head is 100% luck. 

And that’s the way the other 13 owners in this league this season also feel, and so we have both head to head for luck, and total points for skill. 

Those that just want to be lucky love head to head, it takes no skill. 

Hey enjoy the day.  

God Bless. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

True measure of a team is its ability to competitive.  

I find head to head a very boring way of trying to measure up ones ff season.  

You can have a team in a 14 team league that for four straight weeks is the second highest scoring team in a league, but lose all four of those games because the team that they play each of those four straight weeks is the highest scoring team in the league. 

So head to head you have a 0-4 team, now let’s not come back with that never happens statement,  because it happens a lot.  

But yet that same team as now finished second in most points scored in all four of those weeks and is the number one scoring team. 

That team is being very competitive and the over all total points is showing how that team truly measures up to the rest of the league. 

Not its 0-4 record.  

Its not a debate, but it’s my own personal feeling, I much appreciate total points more then luck, and I think head to head is 100% luck. 

And that’s the way the other 13 owners in this league this season also feel, and so we have both head to head for luck, and total points for skill. 

Those that just want to be lucky love head to head, it takes no skill. 

Hey enjoy the day.  

God Bless. 

Luck is always a factor in fantasy football. H2h vs total points is a matter of opinion, so if that's how you like to play, good for you. H2h isn't complete luck, but a lot of scoring systems now take your scenario into account. In my main league that 0-4 team in your example would be 4-4. Total points gives a lot of weight to outlier weeks and inconsistent players. A few years ago Tavon Austin was a decent start in total points leagues and unusable in h2h.  There's pros and cons to both styles.

You know when this league first started back in the late eighties, it was just a total points league, simply didn’t know much else. 

I do enjoy that the leagues voted for both head to head and total points.  

I enjoy both, but I really do think head to head is just plain luck, and I do agree their is so much luck in ff, total points I think is a little less about luck then head to head.

and it’s shown in this league when owners have money that can still gain even after the 13 weeks of head to head is done and the playoffs begin, many of those other owners that don’t make the playoffs and even those that lose in the playoffs still have money to chase and that keeps them more involved.  

Thanks I appreciate chatting with you.  

Hope it’s understood I’m not trying to prove anyone wrong just my own opinion.  

21 minutes ago, weepaws said:

You know when this league first started back in the late eighties, it was just a total points league, simply didn’t know much else. 

I do enjoy that the leagues voted for both head to head and total points.  

I enjoy both, but I really do think head to head is just plain luck, and I do agree their is so much luck in ff, total points I think is a little less about luck then head to head.

and it’s shown in this league when owners have money that can still gain even after the 13 weeks of head to head is done and the playoffs begin, many of those other owners that don’t make the playoffs and even those that lose in the playoffs still have money to chase and that keeps them more involved.  

Thanks I appreciate chatting with you.  

Hope it’s understood I’m not trying to prove anyone wrong just my own opinion.  

I agree it's just a matter of opinion, no right or wrong way to do it. Figure out the style you like, and play that way. Luck will always be a factor, h2h certainly can be more so, but I enjoy the weekly trash talk with that friend. The one win for top half of scoring makes up somewhat for the crap shoot that is your opponents score.

Lol nothing beats the weekly trash talking. 

Its what makes ff great. 

7 hours ago, Brutal Brutus said:

I agree it's just a matter of opinion, no right or wrong way to do it. Figure out the style you like, and play that way. Luck will always be a factor, h2h certainly can be more so, but I enjoy the weekly trash talk with that friend. The one win for top half of scoring makes up somewhat for the crap shoot that is your opponents score.

Play 2 games a week is the best way in my world. 1 against an opponent, and 1 against the league average. RTSports handles this fine. Great way to go in the end.