Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Meal prep ideas that don’t need a fridge or microwave

Anyone got any recipes or ideas of lunches you can take with you that don’t need a fridge or need to be heated in the microwave? 

4 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

you need to be more specific

Something I can take (besides a sandwich) with me that I don’t need to keep in the fridge because it will either melt or go bad. Also something I don’t need to heat up in a microwave to cook it. Just tired of taking a sandwich every day and looking for something that is nutritious and healthy. With my workouts I’m trying to do a little more dieting And slimming back down. Been so busy the past 7-8 months haven’t had much time to do anything 

What is the time frame from leaving the house to eating it?

I stopped eating bread at lunch so sandwiches are out of the question for me typically. I do usually require a microwave though. It's hard to make something without either being required. Just eat your food cold then? Shrimp or chicken salad.

17 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Shrimp or chicken salad.

If it has dairy (mayo), you need to eat it before the 4 hr mark.  I also wouldn't want cold cuts out that long as well.

edit: he basically needs to avoid certain foods being between 40-14 degrees for more than 4 hrs

29 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

What is the time frame from leaving the house to eating it?

Time frame is usually around 4-5 hours from when I take it from home. Cause I’m there at 8 and don’t eat til around 12 or a little after. 

But like FBN said, I’m trying to cut out bread and taking my lunch without having a microwave or fridge is hard. I don’t mind eating stuff cold or room temp. Just trying to find something I can take with me that’s healthy, nutritious, and will keep me going through the day

if you can eat before the 4 hr mark you are ok keeping things out (so long as it is not africa hot).  sub tortillas for bread. think about things from your pantry.

edit: maybe get an insulated lunch container so you can take refrigerated items to keep them cold

I know I have a recipe for a crab stuffed pork cutlet with a yogurt tahini sauce on the side. Shouldn't need any refrigeration whatsoever. You can probably leave it in your vehicle even in the summer and it shouldn't be a problem.

• Haha 1

Just now, Drizzay said:

Italian pasta salad.

As opposed to the slightly less famous Australian pasta salad.

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

Something I can take (besides a sandwich) with me that I don’t need to keep in the fridge because it will either melt or go bad. Also something I don’t need to heat up in a microwave to cook it. Just tired of taking a sandwich every day and looking for something that is nutritious and healthy. With my workouts I’m trying to do a little more dieting And slimming back down. Been so busy the past 7-8 months haven’t had much time to do anything 

An banana and an orange should work. Grilled or broasted chicken in Tupperware 

I myself and rather partial to anything from the chef boyardee line. Seriously, the stuff's already cooked. My second-favorite is the mini ravioli. Easy and convenient. All you need is a spoon. Don't even need a can opener anymore.

Really, I like it better at room temperature anyway.

I wouldn't take any fruit. Fruit has tons of sugar and sugar only makes your hungry soon after and it gives you an energy crash. I have been doing low carb on and off. The days I go low carb, I feel great with tons of extra energy. When I eat carb dense meals, I want to take a nap. It's the polar opposite

16 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I wouldn't take any fruit. Fruit has tons of sugar and sugar only makes your hungry soon after and it gives you an energy crash. I have been doing low carb on and off. The days I go low carb, I feel great with tons of extra energy. When I eat carb dense meals, I want to take a nap. It's the polar opposite

It might be because you’re eating the wrong sugars and carbs. Naturally occurring sugar in fruit is good for you and won’t give you an energy crash. Just like whole grain carbs aren’t the devil, either, in moderation. Processed deli meat used in sandwiches, is actually worse for you than either of those things.

5 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

It might be because you’re eating the wrong sugars and carbs. Naturally occurring sugar in fruit is good for you and won’t give you an energy crash. Just like whole grain carbs aren’t the devil, either, in moderation. Processed deli meat used in sandwiches, is actually worse for you than either of those things.

I agree. I don't eat deli meat. Whole grains and fruit are the best carbs you can eat, but they should be limited. The days that I rely on healthy fats are my most energetic days.

2 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

It sounds like what you are looking for is intermittent fasting.

Go with. 16/8 and just eat a bar or almonds for afternoon snack and then dinner when you get home. Or do a 20/4 aka OMAD (one meal a day) and fast all day except for dinner 

If you must eat at noon, one option is to buy cans of chicken breast. Slap a little hot sauce and mustard for flavor. No heating or cooling required, around 500 calories and a load of protein from 2 cans.

43 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I am semi just busting balls here.

But my god does everyone think they are health gurus these days who dare to eat healthy.

Fruit is what we are supposed to eat.  Im not claiminv science or knowing food like a well studied person.  But we were apes at one point.  Fruit is the main thing in our natural diet.

4 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I am semi just busting balls here.

But my god does everyone think they are health gurus these days who dare to eat healthy.

Fruit is what we are supposed to eat.  Im not claiminv science or knowing food like a well studied person.  But we were apes at one point.  Fruit is the main thing in our natural diet.

We aren't apes any more, but sugar is sugar in the end. It may effect me more than some people, but I feel it drag me down every time I consume it. 

I have tried so many different things to get more energy and feel generally better. Nothing has ever worked until I did low carb high healthy fat. Not only did it work, but the difference was night and day. 

One piece of fruit is fine, but it's not nearly enough to satisfy someone. One would need to eat a lot of fruit, which would contain a lot of sugar. 

8 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I agree. I don't eat deli meat. Whole grains and fruit are the best carbs you can eat, but they should be limited. The days that I rely on healthy fats are my most energetic days.

My go to sandwich is my own take on tuna salad. I mix a can of chuck light tuna in water(drained), with Daisy 2% cottage cheese (instead of mayo). Slather about a tablespoon of fresh guacamole on Dave’s Killer bread-21 grains and seeds, and enjoy. 

I know it sounds gross, but it’s actually not.

1 minute ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

We aren't apes any more, but sugar is sugar in the end. It may effect me more than some people, but I feel it drag me down every time I consume it. 

I have tried so many different things to get more energy and feel generally better. Nothing has ever worked until I did low carb high healthy fat. Not only did it work, but the difference was night and day. 

One piece of fruit is fine, but it's not nearly enough to satisfy someone. One would need to eat a lot of fruit, which would contain a lot of sugar. 

I don’t think anyone is advocating eating just fruit, as a meal... 

4 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

My go to sandwich is my own take on tuna salad. I mix a can of chuck light tuna in water(drained), with Daisy 2% cottage cheese (instead of mayo). Slather about a tablespoon of fresh guacamole on Dave’s Killer bread-21 grains and seeds, and enjoy. 

I know it sounds gross, but it’s actually not.

It sounds decent. I have had that Dave's bread before. If you replaced the bread with something fatty, you may be surprised at how you feel. Also, fasting daily is a huge benefit for me. 

I don’t think anyone is advocating eating just fruit, as a meal... 

No, no one said just fruit, but he seems to be looking for something that is a meal. I don't see how fruit is going to help him much when he needs something to last him through the day. 

Throw some ice packs in a good insulated lunch box. Throw whatever you want in there. Eat it cold. That's what I do 

1 minute ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

It sounds decent. I have had that Dave's bread before. If you replaced the bread with something fatty, you may be surprised at how you feel. Also, fasting daily is a huge benefit for me. 

I already feel great.

For me, it was just cutting out processed crap and eating more whole foods, and paying attention to added sugar. But I’m also very active. Mon/Wed/Fri I strength train, and Sun/Tue/Thu i do cardio. 

Hard boiled eggs.  Keep em in the shell, dumbass.

I already feel great.

For me, it was just cutting out processed crap and eating more whole foods, and paying attention to added sugar. But I’m also very active. Mon/Wed/Fri I strength train, and Sun/Tue/Thu i do cardio. 

You may feel even more better.

9 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

No, no one said just fruit, but he seems to be looking for something that is a meal. I don't see how fruit is going to help him much when he needs something to last him through the day. 

I think the suggestion was more to add a piece of fruit as an accompaniment.

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

You may feel even more better.

Is it possible you have an allergy... maybe gluten?  

I can’t live without carbs. I get cranky. 

Those seasoned tuna bags are pretty awesome and like an mre.

Called Tuna Creations.

13 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Is it possible you have an allergy... maybe gluten?  

I can’t live without carbs. I get cranky. 

Yeah I get it. I get a little cranky too. I doubt it.

Serious answer: peanut butter, nuts, fruit, beef jerky, popcorn for a snack.

• Like 1

Bananas celery carrots pickles cheese and BACON 

39 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Those seasoned tuna bags are pretty awesome and like an mre.

Called Tuna Creations.

I've tried those and holy sh!t it tastes like dirty hooker feet 

OMG. You goofs could over complicate a one car funeral. 

A banana is pre-packaged: eat it. 

Granola. They sell it in big bins at Sprouts. Eat that. 

An apple. You bite it, chew and swallow.

Water. Drink.