Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

What fundraising tells us about democrat candidates for president in 2020

To win the nomination of either party, you need to be able to raise money.  And lots of it.  The ability to raise money early is a fairly good indicator of who the nominee will be.

Take a look at 2007.  Hillary was far and away the frontrunner, with Obama in second place.  But even in January of 2007, TIME reported on how strong Obama's fundraising was and it was competitive with Hillary.

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1579114,00.html

So which democrats excel at fundraising in 2019?  There are 2.  Bernie Sanders and Beto O'Rourke.

Here is an February 2019 article on Bernie's very strong fundraising early in his campaign:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/21/politics/bernie-sanders-fundraising-performance/index.html

Here is an ABC news article from March 2019 on Beto's very strong fundraising early in his campaign:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/beto-orourke-sets-high-water-mark-dems-61/story?id=61753709

How are other candidates faring? 

Here is an AP article on Joe Biden's struggles to raise money:

https://apnews.com/f7caa914f2a24f059ddf5660993a4dc1

Here is a Washington Examiner article on Kamala Harris' struggles to raise money:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/just-17-days-in-kamala-harris-fundraising-falling-short

This 538 article discusses the interesting disconnect between the democrat base and the people who donate to democrat candidates. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-the-big-sanders-and-orourke-fundraising-numbers-dont-capture/

When asked by the Pew Research Center in the fall of 2016 if they had donated to a political campaign over the previous year, 24 percent of Democrats with incomes between $75,000 and $150,000 said they had, compared to 8 percent of those with incomes below $30,000. Donating to campaigns was also more common among people with more education (33 percent of Democrats with postgraduate degrees had donated, compared to 6 percent who did not attend college), older people (32 percent among those over 65, 11 percent of those ages 18-29) and white people (21 percent of white Democrats, 7 percent of Latinos.2)

Its interesting that, despite what many many think, to win the democrat nomination, the KEY is to be able to raise money from wealthy white democrats.

Conclusion:

I believe that, at this time, Beto O'Rourke is the front runner for the democrat nomination.  He and Bernie Sanders are the only 2 candidates raising the big money, and Bernie is far far too old.  Beto is actually slightly outraising Bernie in fact.  I believe the 2020 election will be Beto O'Rourke vs Donald Trump.

Buttigieg has passed Beto and Kamala in the Iowa and New Hampshire polls for 3rd place. He is starting to raise money at a fast pace and has knocked them out of the headlines. 

I saw beta pulled a whole 58 people at his rally. 

4 minutes ago, Vince44 said:

Buttigieg has passed Beto and Kamala in the Iowa and New Hampshire polls for 3rd place. He is starting to raise money at a fast pace and has knocked them out of the headlines. 

I disagree.  Buttgieg bragged about raising $600k in 24 hours.  Bernie Sanders opened by raising $5.9 million.  Beto O'Rourke opened by raising $6.1 million.  Maybe $600k is more than Buttgieg had hoped for, but its not close to being competitive in this race.

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Not all nominees draw huge crowds.  But they do draw the big money.  If you were to tell me that Beto winds up winning the fundraising wars and becomes the nominee, but the democrat base are just lukewarm to him (because he is not a minority or is male or some other reason), I think I could agree with that.

17 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

He actually raised a whole lot of money for his run at Ted Cruz

19 minutes ago, riversco said:

I disagree.  Buttgieg bragged about raising $600k in 24 hours.  Bernie Sanders opened by raising $5.9 million.  Beto O'Rourke opened by raising $6.1 million.  Maybe $600k is more than Buttgieg had hoped for, but its not close to being competitive in this race.

Very different situations. Bernie and Beto were already popular established names when they launched their campaign. Buttgieg was the big unknown in the race that nobody was talking about. He started to move into the sleeper darkhorse role two months ago after polling at no higher than 1%. Now he is up to 3rd place in key states and jumped to 4th in fundraising. It is still very early in this race but he's the one with real momentum. 

1 hour ago, Vince44 said:

Very different situations. Bernie and Beto were already popular established names when they launched their campaign. Buttgieg was the big unknown in the race that nobody was talking about. He started to move into the sleeper darkhorse role two months ago after polling at no higher than 1%. Now he is up to 3rd place in key states and jumped to 4th in fundraising. It is still very early in this race but he's the one with real momentum. 

Obama was already a serious threat to Hillary's fundraising from the moment he declared.  Buttgieg is still not a threat to the top 2.

Bernie and Beto already had the name recognition and infrastructure in place to blaze out of the gate.

So far Bernie, Beto, and BootyJudge are the only candidates with any hype. And Yang.

Bernie and Yang are too fringe to get the establishment behind them. Beto is too focking stupid and neurotic. 

Based on recent media hype BootyJudge will gain the most momentum between now and the debates. All my liberal friends love him because he is a gay vet who speaks softly.

The question is will the Dem establishment get behind BootyJudge?

They still need a black, a woman, and/or a rust belter on the ticket.

Who knows how things will shake out but the first few debates will be must see tv.

I doubt any of the money leaders right now get the nomination.

5 minutes ago, SenatorRock said:

Bernie and Beto already had the name recognition and infrastructure in place to blaze out of the gate.

So far Bernie, Beto, and BootyJudge are the only candidates with any hype. And Yang.

Bernie and Yang are too fringe to get the establishment behind them. Beto is too focking stupid and neurotic. 

Based on recent media hype BootyJudge will gain the most momentum between now and the debates. All my liberal friends love him because he is a gay vet who speaks softly.

The question is will the Dem establishment get behind BootyJudge?

They still need a black, a woman, and/or a rust belter on the ticket.

Who knows how things will shake out but the first few debates will be must see tv.

I doubt any of the money leaders right now get the nomination.

Fair enough.  We'll see!  At this moment, I say Beto is the favorite though.

1 hour ago, Super Cubs said:

He actually raised a whole lot of money for his run at Ted Cruz

Yes, everyone knows he pulled in a bunch of out of state Cali/NY money. Still lost to Ted Cruz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

What kind of a loser goes to a rally 19 months before the election?

Apparently 58 loser democrats. To be fair I'm sure half of them where part of his staff.

33 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Apparently 58 loser democrats. To be fair I'm sure half of them where part of his staff.

And the other 29 were fed free spiked coffee and doughnuts for showing up before they went back to their shelters for the night.

I'm going to vote for Trump in 2020, not Yang or Gabbard, but if either catches some fire and pulls the Dems back from the brink of insanity, I'll be grateful and give them a much longer look come 2024. The rest don't do anything for me although I suppose I should tune in to Hinckenlooper since i hear good things and I'll get around to lending him an ear at some point if he gets any traction.

Realistically, the Dems are highly unlikley to get my vote in 2020 no matter who they nominate. Trump has earned it. But if they can keep their freaks in a cage and nominate a candidate that is decent, I'll hate them less going into 2022 and 2024.

10 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

If Trump held a rally at the same time the media would frame those 58 people so small and claim it was 58,000. 

7 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Even further behind is Elizabeth Warren.  No one likes her.

I can’t imagine why. She’s genuine and so down to earth. 

Trump’s 2020 Campaign Raises Over $30 Million in First Quarter

Nearly 99 percent of the donations in the first quarter were for $200 or less, according to the campaign, with an average contribution of just over $34.

Mr. Trump’s $30 million haul is about the size of what Senators Bernie Sanders and Kamala Harris — the top two Democratic fund-raisers so far in the 2020 field — raised combined in the first quarter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/us/politics/trump-campaign-fundraising.html

9 hours ago, avoiding injuries said:

I can’t imagine why. She’s genuine and so down to earth. 

Elizabeth Warren walks into a bar and says to the bartender, "Heap big black bug on floor."

Bartender says, "Squash it." 

Warren says: "No. Heap big black bug."

This proves she is what she said she is. Let's see if any of you out there get the little joke. Are you a true descendant of the original nomadic group who migrated to America? 

:overhead:

24 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Nearly 99 percent of the donations in the first quarter were for $200 or less, according to the campaign, with an average contribution of just over $34.

Mr. Trump’s $30 million haul is about the size of what Senators Bernie Sanders and Kamala Harris — the top two Democratic fund-raisers so far in the 2020 field — raised combined in the first quarter.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! Another 4 years is what we need. :banana:

No love for Jay Inslee?  I'd laugh but my tax dollars continue to pay his governor salary while he's on his hopeless campaign.  Oh, and the Lt. Governor gets a pay bump every day Inslee is on the road.  Did I mention his security detail is also costing taxpayers an extra $4 million and he refuses to have his campaign cover the costs? 

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

I bought this shirt.

https://shop.donaldjtrump.com/products/i-spy-trump-tee

• Like 1

Trumps already raised 30 million in the first quarter of 2019 alone and over 140 million since he was elected. Most presidents waited until the year before election season to apply for re-election, he did it his first week in office. It’s over pack your bags and get ready for 2024 vs Rick Scott. 

Am I going to have to learn to spell/pronounce Buttguy? Maybe if he keeps this up, I'll tune him in on youtube to see if he has anything to say worth listening to. He's from northern Indiana so he has that going for him, not a east/west coast freak.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:55 PM, iam90sbaby said:

Trumps already raised 30 million in the first quarter of 2019 alone and over 140 million since he was elected. Most presidents waited until the year before election season to apply for re-election, he did it his first week in office. It’s over pack your bags and get ready for 2024 vs Rick Scott. 

:cheers:

On 4/14/2019 at 7:27 PM, Cdub100 said:

I saw beta pulled a whole 58 people at his rally. 

Pete drew a crowd over 1,600 last night in Iowa in his first visit. Like I said earlier in the thread, Beto is sinking like a stone. When you are relying on buzz as a candidate, you have to sustain that type of momentum. 

Buttplug, :lol:. Stupid phaggot needs to realize the USA isn't voting a cacksucker into the WH. 

ETA: I should have said another one. I'm sure Obama sucked on Michelle's tranny cack. 

I found more articles on fundraising:

http://time.com/5570659/trump-2020-fundraising-campaign/

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/pete-buttigieg-announces-7-million-fundraising-haul-first-quarter-n989426

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2019/04/10/elizabeth-warren-first-quarter-fundraising

Trump: $30.3 million  (Obama had $2 million at this point in his re-election campaign in 2011)

Bernie Sanders: $18 million as of the first quarter of 2019.

Kamala Harris: $12 million as of the first quarter of 2019.

Beto O'Rourke: $9.4 million as of the first quarter of 2019.

Pete Buttigieg: $7 million as of the first quarter of 2019.

Elizabeth Warren: $6 million
Amy Klobuchar: $5.2 million
Corey Booker: $5 million
Andrew Yang: $1.7 million

Biden: Only officially began taking money as of April 19th.

Republicans have trailed Democrats in online fundraising ever since the medium was invented roughly two decades ago. But Trump has closed the gap, driving small-dollar donors who make recurring donations to the GOP like the party has never seen before. According to RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel, Trump’s campaign has already had eight seven-figure fundraising days this year, and has taken in money from more than 1 million new online donors since Trump’s inauguration — including 100,000 this year.

The Republican committee said it is planning on spending $30 million on maintaining and growing Trump’s email list alone, recently expanded its headquarters space to an annex in Virginia and will soon invest in developing an app.