Sign in to follow this  
DonS

Chernobyl on HBO

I cannot wait, I have studied this event for years, and its a passion for me......so preventable...all they had to do was update their processes from Ignalina and these guys would not have done what they did.....shameful....

3 minutes ago, posty said:

Why subscribe to HBO when you can watch the episodes for free about an hour after the show ends?   For example, http://www.watchepisodeseries.com/

I can stream GoT if I care to, but would much rather watch on my TV rather than being tied to a small screen.  And no, I can't cast to my TV. 

1. If you're interested, you guys really should compare / contrast to Fuku. What compels me about Fuku is: 

a) They're still not sure if there's a full on melt down still happening. Years later and generations of robots later, their specifically designed robots to put eyes on the various fuel cores  - fry out before they get there. 

b) TEPCO/Japan wants very much to jus 'dump' millions of gallons of radiated seawater into the ocean. They're gonna have to do something. 

c) The cost is ginormous.  - As in a TRILLION dollars (US). Which amounts to like a Gazillion-Billion-Zerfillion Yen before all is said and done. Even their economy can't handle that. If China/NoKo pull some crap - or another world economic meltdown (likely) occurs?  Good Luck with that. 

d) But the real key is the releases that occurred with the Hydrogen explosions. Some of those numbers are huge off the chain. 

e) Like Chernobyl, completely preventable - and not in a "Monday Morning QB" sort of way. Look at the diagrams; The whole thing happened due to lack of power. Well no shiit sherlock - they didn't bury their overhead power lines - though repeatedly told to do so, and once those things went?  Their redundancy was - wait for it - batteries - all under water.  And their primary redundancy?  Was power FROM the reactors.  Talk about a friggin circle jerk.   

The other no 'brainer' was to build up their storm surge wall.  It's not like Fuku got hit with a 100 foot, once in a lifetime wave. It was no bigger than say, Katrina's surge - which wasn't bad.   That was the FIRST thing they should have done after the 2004 Tsunami. - Damn sure wasn't some freak  - can't plan for it -  'one off'. 

When you read through the After Action reports, a lot of it had to so with 'saving face' and a Govt  with its head so far up TEPCO's butt, they didn't say anything.  Honestly, build a reasonable SS wall, bury exposed power supply lines - and elevate your battery back ups in a KNOWN coastal flood zone.  - Any of those things sound like anything more than common 'effing sense?

Don't mean to hijerk. Just a good corollary. 

Another noocler related item that I stumbled across not too long ago: 

8/29/06 - A 7.4k Iron Ore Meteor landed less than 50mi from an Indian Nuke Plant. Even the lead official - who was supposed to play it down presumably - was like "Yeah, this would have been a disaster of epic proportions. It was one of the older models and - well, apparently it would have been bye bye dinosaurs all over again. Plant initials (RAS). 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Another noocler related item that I stumbled across not too long ago: 

8/29/06 - A 7.4k Iron Ore Meteor landed less than 50mi from an Indian Nuke Plant. Even the lead official - who was supposed to play it down presumably - was like "Yeah, this would have been a disaster of epic proportions. It was one of the older models and - well, apparently it would have been bye bye dinosaurs all over again. Plant initials (RAS). 

K as in kilometer or k as in kilogram?