Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Radical idea for Notre Dame

Now I know there's always that guy, and I guess I'll be that guy this time.

Hundreds of millions of dollars have been pledged to rebuild Notre Dame. How about is an alternative, they clean it up as best as possible, but treat it more like the Roman Colosseum. Interesting ruins, but never restored to former Glory and usage.

Europe is undergoing a humanitarian migrant crisis even greater than that of World War II were told. How about taking all of that money and creating a village, city or something like that. Literally thousands of homes budget sized for individuals and small families.

Further, micro loans have been incredibly successful in Africa. Try that to help migrants start new businesses. In America, immigrants are the leading creator of small businesses.

Let charitable groups provide clothing and bedding and food and whatnot.

To the extent that most migrants are Muslim, that should do one hell of a lot torward easing tensions. I'm not dumb enough to think it actually would, but at least they'd have no reason to b****.

now, I'm the same guy who believes firmly that we should have stopped the Olympics at least 20 years ago. Huge waste of money time effort and resources. In a time when all of those are in desperate short supply. But that's another day.

The Catholic Church could sure use some good PR these days. And real concrete efforts could be made towards economic and social and religious outreach. Just a thought

23 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Do you know the Catholic Church does not own the building

He doesn’t know anything. 

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Do you know the Catholic Church does not own the building

I swear to God, if there's a giant "Trump" on there ...

Okay, The French, whatever. Same concept.

I bet you didn't know that Ikea stands for the founder's initials. 🇸🇪

The church should be rebuilt as it was and the Macron loyalists that cheered it's burning on twitter should be returned to their country of origin.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Now I know there's always that guy, and I guess I'll be that guy this time.

Hundreds of millions of dollars have been pledged to rebuild Notre Dame. How about is an alternative, they clean it up as best as possible, but treat it more like the Roman Colosseum. Interesting ruins, but never restored to former Glory and usage.

Europe is undergoing a humanitarian migrant crisis even greater than that of World War II were told. How about taking all of that money and creating a village, city or something like that. Literally thousands of homes budget sized for individuals and small families.

Further, micro loans have been incredibly successful in Africa. Try that to help migrants start new businesses. In America, immigrants are the leading creator of small businesses.

Let charitable groups provide clothing and bedding and food and whatnot.

To the extent that most migrants are Muslim, that should do one hell of a lot torward easing tensions. I'm not dumb enough to think it actually would, but at least they'd have no reason to b****.

now, I'm the same guy who believes firmly that we should have stopped the Olympics at least 20 years ago. Huge waste of money time effort and resources. In a time when all of those are in desperate short supply. But that's another day.

The Catholic Church could sure use some good PR these days. And real concrete efforts could be made towards economic and social and religious outreach. Just a thought

You spend your money the way you want and they'll spend their money how they want. Now that's a radical idea. 

It would be nice if the billions being spent by the unreasonable, illogical, eco warrior terrorists, would be spent on what you suggest instead of paying people to protest and further backing up courts around the world. 

I couldn't give two sh1ts if it's rebuilt or not.  I am curious though during it's construction how many people were genuinely starving as the "church" poured money into this focking monstrosity.  

7 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I couldn't give two sh1ts if it's rebuilt or not.  I am curious though during it's construction how many people were genuinely starving as the "church" poured money into this focking monstrosity.  

I think the biggest donors are rival rich families that try to out donate each other for things like this. As far as I'm concerned, they have the right to do whatever they want with their money. I guess I just don't understand the desire to use that much for this. And I'm Catholic. But that being said, that building is like 850 years old. So... I don't know....

"Kicking off a wave of donations in response to a call from President Emmanuel Macron for a fund-raising campaign, Francois-Henri Pinault, the chairman and chief executive officer of Gucci owner Kering SA, and his father, Francois Pinault, said Tuesday they would donate 100 million euros from their Artemis investment company.

Their archrival, the Arnault family, responded minutes later with a pledge of 200 million euros and the architectural and design resources of their LVMH fashion conglomerate. Cosmetics company L’Oreal SA and its principal shareholder, the Bettencourt Meyers family, will give 100 million euros, while the family’s charitable foundation will chip in another 100 million euros, the company said."

1 hour ago, fandandy said:

you know what I dont get

is why people think that the govt needs to take care of people

What would be really radical would them scheduling some tougher teams instead of cupcakes every year then crying when they get left out of the playoffs.   

7 hours ago, Voltaire said:

The church should be rebuilt as it was and the Macron loyalists that cheered it's burning on twitter should be returned to their country of origin.

I like it

Why would you want to feed A group of people that somehow, in 2019, can't feed themselves? What's the point? They will just be starving again in a little while. Let them figure it out themselves. They obviously like f-ing more than eating. Their choice. Everyone else has figured out you can do both.  

Taqiya 

In IslamTaqiya or  Taqiyya (Arabicتقیة‎ taqiyyah, literally "prudence, fear")[1][2] is a precautionary dissimulation or denial of religious belief and practice in the face of persecution.[1][3][4][5] Another term for this concept, kitmān (lit. "action of covering, dissimulation"), has a more specific meaning of dissimulation by silence or omission.[6][7]

This practice is emphasized in Shia Islamwhereby adherents are permitted to conceal their religion when under threat of persecutionor compulsion.[3][8] However, it is also permitted in Sunni Islam under certain circumstances.[9]

Taqiyya was initially practiced under duress by some of Muhammad's Companions.[10] Later, it became particularly important for Shias due to their experience as a persecuted religious minority.[8][11] According to Shia doctrine, taqiyya is permissible in situations where there is overwhelming danger of loss of life or property and where no danger to religion would occur thereby.[8] Taqiyya has also been politically legitimised, particularly among Twelver Shias, in order to maintain unity among Muslims and fraternity among the Shia clerics.[12][13]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqiya

“ All this talk about rebuilding, they are never going to be able to rebuild it, not really. Because that cathedral was built with a searing love, a searing love for Jesus Christ and his mother, a searing love of Christianity, a 100-year project of searing, devoted love.”

9 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

“ All this talk about rebuilding, they are never going to be able to rebuild it, not really. Because that cathedral was built with a searing love, a searing love for Jesus Christ and his mother, a searing love of Christianity, a 100-year project of searing, devoted love.”

I'm not sure if your quote is about making fun of that statement or saying this is what's up, but the truth is what you posted. I initially agreed with wiffle about just preserving what there is instead of rebuilding in attempt to have original. But now, I'm thinking, if there are enough people in the world who want keep it alive, as opposed to the Roman collosiums which are somewhat dead memories, I get it in a way. I'm in the middle here.

17 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Better idea.

Turn it into the Notre Dame Al Muhammad Great Mosque of France. Put a dome and minarets on it and everything. Make a big show of the grand opening, invite Muslim notables from all over for the first prayers there.

Then bolt it shut from the outside and set it on fire again.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sderk said:

I'm not sure if your quote is about making fun of that statement or saying this is what's up, but the truth is what you posted. I initially agreed with wiffle about just preserving what there is instead of rebuilding in attempt to have original. But now, I'm thinking, if there are enough people in the world who want keep it alive, as opposed to the Roman collosiums which are somewhat dead memories, I get it in a way. I'm in the middle here.

In all seriousness, I want it preserved. Not because I give a fock about Jesus or Mary, as I don't. I want it preserved for the same reason I want Ankor Wat preserved, or the Dome of the Rock Mosque, or the Forbidden City in Beijing, or Maccu Piccu, or whatever.

It's a historical and cultural monument. Future generations should have the opportunity to see it too. As it was. Not some focked up neo leftist monument to inclusiveness and idiocy.

• Like 1