Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

What is the most realistic set up for a dynasty league?

A few friends and I are laying the groundwork for a new dynasty league.  We want to be certain we aren't missing anything though.  What makes the game as close to being an NFL GM as possible? 

We are going to include a salary cap.  A player salary structure that allows the owner to put his salaries in the contract details, meaning if they sign a player for 4 years at a total of $40 (just an example), they can choose how they break down the 4 years of the cap hit.  We aren't sure yet how much to penalize an owner for cutting a player, but have been discussing 20% of his cap number for however many years he has remaining on his contract. 

One of the owners says we should do the rookie draft before the NFL Draft.  His reasoning is it's a crapshoot, making it much more like the NFL.  The NFL GM's are taking a shot in the dark when they choose a player, so to keep it as realistic as possible, we should be the draft without the benefit of knowing which player landed in a terrific spot.  We haven't voted on this one yet, but it's an interesting proposition.  What do you all think? 

We are debating the scoring.  Most want it to be at least .5 ppr, but we have a couple pushing for a full point ppr.  I don't really care which we go with. 

Anything else we can do? 

Currently in a 12 man dynasty start up draft. 15 rounds and you draft your rookie draft slot during this draft (rookie 1.01 went in the late 5th).  Our rookie draft will happen in the middle of May because it's nice to stretch these out this time of year.  I would not want to draft rookies before the NFL draft simply because so much of their value relies on where each player lands.

No opinion on salary cap as we use yearly contracts - players get a 3 year contract and must be traded or franchise tagged after 3rd year.

For scoring we use the following: .5 ppr RB  1 ppr WR   1.5 PPR TE/QB     6 Pts Passing TD      -2 for ints/fumbles     .20 points per carry.   .10 points per yard rec/rushing    .033 points/return yard  .05 pts/passing yard.  I think this scoring is pretty ideal for dynasty.

I would not draft before the NFL does. It's impossible to tell where a player goes, and it could be crippling if a player lands on a team like Jax. Plus, when it comes to late round rookie picks, opportunity often drives those picks.

I could see doing the startup before the draft with everything being equal; I would not want to do it after that. It would make improving more difficult for bottom teams. 

Are you going to do an auction style draft and incorporate that into salaries?

I wish I could handle another league, but 2 is the maximum I have time for without my other teams suffering.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:19 AM, oldtimer said:

A few friends and I are laying the groundwork for a new dynasty league.  We want to be certain we aren't missing anything though.  What makes the game as close to being an NFL GM as possible? 

We are going to include a salary cap.  A player salary structure that allows the owner to put his salaries in the contract details, meaning if they sign a player for 4 years at a total of $40 (just an example), they can choose how they break down the 4 years of the cap hit.  We aren't sure yet how much to penalize an owner for cutting a player, but have been discussing 20% of his cap number for however many years he has remaining on his contract. 

One of the owners says we should do the rookie draft before the NFL Draft.  His reasoning is it's a crapshoot, making it much more like the NFL.  The NFL GM's are taking a shot in the dark when they choose a player, so to keep it as realistic as possible, we should be the draft without the benefit of knowing which player landed in a terrific spot.  We haven't voted on this one yet, but it's an interesting proposition.  What do you all think? 

We are debating the scoring.  Most want it to be at least .5 ppr, but we have a couple pushing for a full point ppr.  I don't really care which we go with. 

Anything else we can do? 

We are also starting up a dynasty and would also love the benefit of this thread.