Sign in to follow this  
bostonlager

Would you notice if you were being followed/tailed?

This comes from @BunnysBastatrds PI story before he got a BJ and off topic. He said he tailed a hoe for 4 days and caught her cheating. That sounds good and all, but I don't think I could be followed or tailed by a PI without noticing what was going on. Maybe I am just paranoid and always looking over my shoulder/in my rearview, but I do not think anyone could be sneaky enough to catch me unless they were special ops type motherfockers. :dunno:

1 hour ago, bostonlager said:

This comes from @BunnysBastatrds PI story before he got a BJ and off topic. He said he tailed a hoe for 4 days and caught her cheating. That sounds good and all, but I don't think I could be followed or tailed by a PI without noticing what was going on. Maybe I am just paranoid and always looking over my shoulder/in my rearview, but I do not think anyone could be sneaky enough to catch me unless they were special ops type motherfockers. :dunno:

Bet...

Also if anyone is good...multiple people would follow you, not just one.

Probably. I spend as much time looking in the rearview mirror as I do looking out the windshield. Plus, I'm an aggressive driver so if you're going to tail me you're going to have to keep up. That would attract my attention pretty quickly. At that point all it takes is one or two unnecessary U-turns to confirm.  

• Like 1

you bastids would never have a clue - and you all watch too much tv/movies ... you really think a private d1ck worth their salt would actually be trailing you in a car? :nono:  lmmfao

they know people look over the shoulder/in the rear view, etc ... real life ain't anything even remotely resembling the fictionalized shite y'all seem to be riffin' on.   

again ... you. would. never. know.  

32 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

you bastids would never have a clue - and you all watch too much tv/movies ... you really think a private d1ck worth their salt would actually be trailing you in a car? :nono:  lmmfao

they know people look over the shoulder/in the rear view, etc ... real life ain't anything even remotely resembling the fictionalized shite y'all seem to be riffin' on.   

again ... you. would. never. know.  

His use of the words "followed/tailed" implies that somebody is behind you. That is different than being under surveillance. I doubt I would notice a team of UC's surveiling me. I'm pretty sure I would notice somebody following/tailing me. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean nobody could. Some people are more situatuonally aware than others. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

His use of the words "followed/tailed" implies that somebody is behind you. That is different than being under surveillance. I doubt I would notice a team of UC's surveiling me. I'm pretty sure I would notice somebody following/tailing me. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean nobody could. Some people are more situatuonally aware than others. :dunno:

never said i would/wouldn't ... i know a couple guys who do this for a living ... their livliehood depends on them not being "made" ... and the examples cited here like "I'D KNOW IF SOMEONE WAS ON MY ARSE IN A CAR I'D SHAKE THEM NO PROBLEM" is a far ways off from reality.  

carry on all you slippery schlubs. 

3 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

never said i would/wouldn't ... i know a couple guys who do this for a living ... their livliehood depends on them not being "made" ... and the examples cited here like "I'D KNOW IF SOMEONE WAS ON MY ARSE IN A CAR I'D SHAKE THEM NO PROBLEM" is a far ways off from reality.  

carry on all you slippery schlubs. 

I drive extremely aggressively.  When another driver is keeping up with me, I take notice.  That's the only thing anyone else said.

In fact, for me, if someone is keeping up with me, I start to vary my speed and try to get them in front of me just because it's so rare.

If multiple people were handing me off there is zero chance I would notice.  One guy in a car, I would notice right away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nobody said:

I drive extremely aggressively.  When another driver is keeping up with me, I take notice.  That's the only thing anyone else said.

In fact, for me, if someone is keeping up with me, I start to vary my speed and try to get them in front of me just because it's so rare.

If multiple people were handing me off there is zero chance I would notice.  One guy in a car, I would notice right away.

yeah, i get all that ... gist of my point was that a real professional isn't gonna be that obvious ... he would know the whereabouts of your vehicle from his couch. 

I pay attention to my rear view mirror so I notice if someone turns a few times when I do.  I'm guessing a pro tail is more sophisticated than that tho.  So I'll go with "no."  :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

yeah, i get all that ... gist of my point was that a real professional isn't gonna be that obvious ... he would know the whereabouts of your vehicle from his couch. 

Are we talking law enforcement or a PI, here? I would think it would be illegal to install a GPS device on a vehicle without permission or a warrant. 

None of you would ever know. I did it as a side gig for a while in college. The look on people's faces when you get called to the witness stand & they realise they made small talk at a bar with you🤣

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

This is probably the best answer. I would absolutely notice some one person following me. I spent too many years in tough neighborhoods when I was younger to not pay attention to everything around me. 

But that said, if the CIA is on my tail, well, that's a different thing.

31 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Are we talking law enforcement or a PI, here? I would think it would be illegal to install a GPS device on a vehicle without permission or a warrant. 

Do you think a PI is going to give a shiot if he breaks the law to keep you under surveillance ?

2 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Do you think a PI is going to give a shiot if he breaks the law to keep you under surveillance ?

If the evidence he collects will be thrown out in court because he acted illegally he should be concerned, right?

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

If the evidence he collects will be thrown out in court because he acted illegally he should be concerned, right?

Beat me to it. Someone can break into your house and put up tiny cameras but...how is that helpful unless its just for jollies? 

5 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

nope. 

you go to your rendezvous location ... you're all like "LOOK AT ME, I CHECK THE REARVIEW CONSTANTLY, NO ONE ON MY ASS, HAHA!!!"

meanwhile, gumshoe has your locale pegged, and can arrive comfortably after you without having to tail.

your car or phone is spilling your whereabouts ... all that matters is that you are busted at the scene, not how the PI ascertained (though, if pushed, they would prolly just say they physically tailed you).

12 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Let's say you're dealing drugs.  PI puts a GPS on your car and tails you to where you keep them.  While you're inside he removes the GPS and anonymously calls the cops about the location being a drug warehouse.  The cops now have probable cause to investigate.  They get called to the stand.  When asked how they knew about the stash they simply say "anonymous tip."  They're telling the truth and did nothing wrong.  And you're going to prison.

24 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

A tracking device under your car.  He could still follow you from blocks away.  When you stop he can find and watch you.  Nothing would appear in court. 

Being electronically surveilled is not the same as being "followed/tailed". 

The question was would you notice if you were being followed/tailed, not would you know if somebody hid a tracking device on your vehicle. :dunno:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Being electronically surveilled is not the same as being "followed/tailed". 

LET'S MOVE THE GOALPOSTS!!1!111!1!

4 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

LET'S MOVE THE GOALPOSTS!!1!111!1!

You already did. You want to move them again?

I doubt I would be able to tell I was being followed even if you told me that I was going to be followed...

I thought he meant being physically followed by one person.  Yeah, of course, I wouldn't know if I'm being tracked electronically.

7 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

You already did. You want to move them again?

whatever helps ya cope, junior

anyways ... op asked "would you know"?  and the answer, in real life (not the movie/tv scenarios you guys are basing your knowledge on) is NO.  

if you actually think someone who is making a living as a PI is gonna be right in your rearview, and mimic every move/turn/acceleration/deceleration you make, well ... good for you. 

"BUT WE GREW UP IN TOUGH NEIGHBORHOODS AND DRIVE AGRESSIVELY AND CHECK THE REARVIEW AND WINDSHIELD!!1!!!!1!1!!1"

LMMFAO at this nonsense

4 minutes ago, nobody said:

I thought he meant being physically followed by one person.  Yeah, of course, I wouldn't know if I'm being tracked electronically.

OP did which is why he said followed/tailed. Sitting somewhere watching a blip on a screen isn't following/tailing. NPG is arguing a completely different point.

"YOU FOOLS THINK YOU COULD SEE THE DRONE 1200 FEET IN THE AIR THAT IS MONITORING YOUR EVERY MOVE? HAHAHA DUMMIES! I WIN! #$@#!"  

:doh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

anyways ... op asked "would you know"?  and the answer, in real life (not the movie/tv scenarios you guys are basing your knowledge on) is NO.  

if you actually think someone who is making a living as a PI is gonna be right in your rearview, and mimic every move/turn/acceleration/deceleration you make, well ... good for you. 

"BUT WE GREW UP IN TOUGH NEIGHBORHOODS AND DRIVE AGRESSIVELY AND CHECK THE REARVIEW AND WINFSHIELD!!1!!!!1!1!!1"

LMMFAO at this nonsense

So you think that by definition, being followed means the person being followed wouldn't know they are followed? Is that your point in your comment?

53 minutes ago, Strike said:

The cops now have probable cause to investigate.  

How do you get from an anonymous tip to PC?

12 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

"BUT WE GREW UP IN TOUGH NEIGHBORHOODS AND DRIVE AGRESSIVELY AND CHECK THE REARVIEW AND WINDSHIELD!!1!!!!1!1!!1"

LMMFAO at this nonsense

Let me clear this up for you since you're obviously confused. 

OP posed a question based on a BB story. In this story BB physically followed a cheating whoah for a few days. Said whoah never caught on that she was being physically  FOLLOWED/TAILED.  OP thought it strange that somebody wouldn't notice somebody physically following/tailing them for days on end. So he asked if any geeks would notice if they were being "followed/tailed" in the same manner. There was never any mention of electronic surveillance/tracking until you brought it up.  :dunno:

hth

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Let's say you're dealing drugs.  PI puts a GPS on your car and tails you to where you keep them.  While you're inside he removes the GPS and anonymously calls the cops about the location being a drug warehouse.  The cops now have probable cause to investigate.  They get called to the stand.  When asked how they knew about the stash they simply say "anonymous tip."  They're telling the truth and did nothing wrong.  And you're going to prison.

The cops would need a warrant to go into thatvwarehouse to look for drugs. And it's going to take a little more than an anonymous tip to get one. HTH. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kutulu said:

Sheeeeeeeeeet 

3 hours ago, Nomad99 said:

None of you would ever know. I did it as a side gig for a while in college. The look on people's faces when you get called to the witness stand & they realise they made small talk at a bar with you🤣

This and  a few others get it. You'd never know. We are creatures of habit. Most live and work/personal within five miles of where one lives. Even if I lose you, I'll have a good idea of where you might go. Where you stop, shop, play. It's creepy work and is  why I stopped.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

This and  a few others get it. You'd never know. We are creatures of habit. Most live and work/personal within five miles of where one lives. Even if I lose you, I'll have a good idea of where you might go. Where you stop, shop, play. It's creepy work and is  why I stopped.

My reason that you could know is if you have a reason to be paranoid, then you realize you are not paranoid because people are actually out to get you. And you pay attention. Although I think most people would not know they are being tailed, most people don't have reason to be tailed. 

6 minutes ago, sderk said:

My reason that you could know is if you have a reason to be paranoid, then you realize you are not paranoid because people are actually out to get you. And you pay attention. Although I think most people would not know they are being tailed, most people don't have reason to be tailed. 

When I first started there was a guy owned a red car and we told him to get rid of it as it draws attention to those who might be aware. He was.

The car to use is a silver anything without damage. There are so many on the road, they all look the same.

I only had a problem once and it was Asian woman who drove crazy. 😄

And, like I said before...  Any surveillance that involves following vehicles/pedestrians doesnt involve one vehicle.  If four different dudes are taking turns leading/dropping off, you would never know. As BB said, we are creatures of habit.  We've actually been following a guy suspected of making incindiary devices and a narcotics seller. He rides a bike everywhere.  Dude has no idea.  He still goes out and does his thing in broad daylight.