Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Interesting baseball stat.

That... seems wrong. Maybe MLB players, but PRO players? Minor leaguers who never made it to the big leagues, players in foreign leagues... I just can't see it.

given the extremely low impact of wear and tear, especially juxtaposed with the other 3 major sports, it's not really that shocking ... many baseball cats can/will/did have 20+ year careers.  

pitchers are the anomaly, of course ... but the rank and file position players and bench jockeys can last a verrrrrrry loooooong time. 

And not a single one of those 19,471 represent the Angels in the Hall of Fame(yet, cause Trout's going).   

12 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

And not a single one of those 19,471 represent the Angels in the Hall of Fame(yet, cause Trout's going).   

Vlad Guerrero would like a word with you.  

6 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Vlad Guerrero would like a word with you.  

:doh: I just assumed he went in as an Expo.   

42 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Nolan Ryan will always be an Angel to me. I used to love getting his card and Tananas. If I recall it was a pinkish/red color.  Hated getting Eckersley with the Indians/Red Sox. Also loved getting a Manny Mota. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Reggie Jackson should have gone in as an Angel for his role in the Naked Gun.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

There have only been a total of 19,000 pro players since the game was introduced in the US  

1 hour ago, posty said:

19,471 to be exact (at the moment)...

:)

1 hour ago, Vikings4ever said:

That... seems wrong. Maybe MLB players, but PRO players? Minor leaguers who never made it to the big leagues, players in foreign leagues... I just can't see it.

Two retards and a smart guy.  I’ll let you decide who’s who.

Some DBack dood named Taylor Clark yesterday became...

It was the first time since saves became an official statistic in 1969 that a player has recorded their first save and hit in their MLB debut.

I find that remarkable.  Baseball loves its obscure stats but it seems that in 50 years somebody else would have done this.  :dunno:

• Like 1

Another interesting thing: the other night was the first time a pitcher wearing #0 and a batter wearing #0 faced each other 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Another interesting thing: the other night was the first time a pitcher wearing #0 and a batter wearing #0 faced each other 

Not a big deal when you consider that since Ottavino is the first pitcher to wear #0 in the bigs...

13 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Some DBack dood named Taylor Clark yesterday became...

I find that remarkable.  Baseball loves its obscure stats but it seems that in 50 years somebody else would have done this.  :dunno:

Maybe in the first ten years of the save stat, but with the way relief pitchers are used now, I am surprised it happened at all...  A three-inning save was about the only shot to get this to happen...

Does this 19,000 include all the negro league players who never got to play in the majors?

Satchel Paige, Smokey Joe Williams, Josh Gibson, Buck O'Neil, etc.. 

3 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Does this 19,000 include all the negro league players who never got to play in the majors?

Satchel Paige pitched for the Indians and a couple other MLB teams.  Of course he was like 64 years old at the time... :lol:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Nope (except Paige)...

It is MLB players only...

That stat about Joey Votto was absolutely insane to me. Over 6,800 ABs without a pop-up to first. Over 1,500 flyouts he had but not one to first until last week finally. Mind-boggling.

2 hours ago, Cruzer said:

You're so woke. 

How is this possible?

On Easter Sunday, Joey Gallo drove in a run with a sacrifice fly in the fourth, the first of his career. He had gone his first 1,145 at-bats without a sacrifice fly, the most by a Major League player since the sacrifice fly became a statistic in 1954. Among active players, San Diego’s Travis Jankowski, who is on the injured list this season, is the new leader with 847 at-bats without a sacrifice fly.

3 hours ago, dain11279 said:

That stat about Joey Votto was absolutely insane to me. Over 6,800 ABs without a pop-up to first. Over 1,500 flyouts he had but not one to first until last week finally. Mind-boggling.

Since 2010 that is only the 8th time he has popped out at all. Dude puts wood on the ball.