Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

I got canned 3 weeks ago.

I tapped out my market. I hated the job anyway. The best thing about it was they allowed me to work from home 4 days a week and paid me the same salary I was making at my last job. I hired 300 people in the area and then it dried up.  I went on a severance for 3 weeks. Yesterday was my last severance check. I filed for unemployment and it would kick in about a week from now. I only had this job for 6 months after having my previous one for 3 years. So I twice in a calendar year I got canned. Neither time due to anything I could control. 

I had an interview Thursday. They said ya look good. But here. Show us what you can do. Aka. Work on a job for free. I thought ohhhh great. Oneeeee of those.  I found 1 person in 2 hours and another in 12. They offered me the job yesterday.  Back in IT recruiting on a salary plus bonus and they are gonna allow me to do remote 4 days a week. Which is a huge bonus. 

It's hq is about an hour away in but they have good contracts that line up with my LinkedIn network so I should do well based off what I have seen so far. 

I got what amounted to a 3 week paid vacation and a transition back into what I liked doing anyway. 

I know. Rats ass. 

• Like 1

I work in IT and am often contacted by recruiters.

The jobs are almost always contract jobs. I am always surprised they get anyone to take them.

3 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

I work in IT and am often contacted by recruiters.

The jobs are almost always contract jobs. I am always surprised they get anyone to take them.

The thing is that if you contract and get a honey hole it's amazing. Deloitte, quicken, state of Michigan. All those jobs will pay you more in a year than your gonna get as an employee. You have to take taxes out and usually do your own insurance.  But you build that into it. You can soak big companies that don't have the ability to hire fte but still need the job done. 

Also certain jobs lend themselves to contract roles like project managers. 

Somehow kilroy's ship always catches fire and starts to sink, but kilroy just swings on a rope over to a better ship without breaking a sweat or missing a beat. 

3 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Somehow kilroy's ship always catches fire and starts to sink, but kilroy just swings on a rope over to a better ship without breaking a sweat or missing a beat. 

I know right?  If anyone else posted that thread title I'd have been worried, but I sensed there was an implicit "but" in this one.  :D

Congrats.

What type of IT recruiting at the new job?

I am putting out some feelers and i want to relocate, although not sure i could convince my wife to move to Michigan.

It's actually going to be mostly in Chicago. I worked on contracts for Deloitte in the past and while that's not who the company is working on the jobs gave me huge exposure to that market. 

They asked for a project manager in Chicago. I had 600 in my network and 2 ready to go within a day. 

12 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Kudos to kilroy and his resiliency.  

However, recruiting jobs are sorta easy to come by.  The turnover rate is very high, especially those where commissions are part of the compensation package   

I used to work with a guy in the field who would occasionally say, “Eh. If I lose this job, I’ll get another one doing the same thing tomorrow.  

14 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I couldn't find the swachbuckling clip of Kilroy swinging between ships, so I settled for this: 

13 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

I couldn't find the swachbuckling clip of Kilroy swinging between ships, so I settled for this: 

Today's films have computer graphics, far larger special effects budgets, as well as modern safety precautions to provide more spectacular eye candy than they did in Errol's time.