Sign in to follow this  
ICEMAN

Patriots Draft

OK fellow Pats fans. In your opinion, what is the best case scenario for their first round pick this year?

Should they trade up?

Should they trade down?

Is there a specific player that you realistically think they could get at 32?

ICEMAN

I think if an opportunity to trade up to get a replacement for Gronk comes to them, they will take it.  otherwise, they likely move down or stay where they are

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I think if an opportunity to trade up to get a replacement for Gronk comes to them, they will take it.  otherwise, they likely move down or stay where they are

So to sum up they will trade up.  Stay put. Or trade back.   

I don't think it matters. They will probably go to the SB again and have a 50% chance to win it no matter what they do. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

So to sum up they will trade up.  Stay put. Or trade back.   

I think they will try to trade up if their player is available.

Most years I do think they try to trade down, but their ability to do either is really dependant on another teams desire to trade with them.  that does not always happen. 

when you are at the top, teams dont want to go out of their way to give you a chance to make your team better.

Overall, I think they have too little salary space and too few rosters spaces to use the number of draft picks they have. And stashing multiple rookies on IR and the practice squad isn’t proving an amazing strategy.  So I definitely see trading up ... probably for this year, possibly for next year picks.  Another possibility is trading for another team’s excess ... Bengals WR, SF d-line, AZ’s Rosen (I think unlikely, but could develop.)  

29 minutes ago, The PosterFormerlyKnownAs said:

Overall, I think they have too little salary space and too few rosters spaces to use the number of draft picks they have. And stashing multiple rookies on IR and the practice squad isn’t proving an amazing strategy.  So I definitely see trading up ... probably for this year, possibly for next year picks.  Another possibility is trading for another team’s excess ... Bengals WR, SF d-line, AZ’s Rosen (I think unlikely, but could develop.)  

So they dont have enough cap so you suggest trading up for a more expensive 1st rounder.  Or possibly trading for vet contracts that are not cheap.

(I havent looked at their cap. But these ideas are head scratchers if you believe they dont have much money to play with)

Trading up can be a cap saver because you are paying one player rather than three.  Example:  trade pick 32, 64 and 73 to move up to low teens ... 

here’s some projections of cap implications of various picks: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

Rosen has a very team friendly contract, as does Tyler Boyd for the Bengals.  New England is very good at identifying loose pieces and return on contract value - including the idea of trading away or releasing a current player with too high a price tag. 

And as I wrote, they may trade picks from this year for higher round picks next year.  Just hard to imagine them staying put and drafting 12 rookies.  

1 hour ago, The PosterFormerlyKnownAs said:

Trading up can be a cap saver because you are paying one player rather than three.  Example:  trade pick 32, 64 and 73 to move up to low teens ... 

here’s some projections of cap implications of various picks: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

Rosen has a very team friendly contract, as does Tyler Boyd for the Bengals.  New England is very good at identifying loose pieces and return on contract value - including the idea of trading away or releasing a current player with too high a price tag. 

And as I wrote, they may trade picks from this year for higher round picks next year.  Just hard to imagine them staying put and drafting 12 rookies.  

Yeah no room for 12.  What do you think they are after that they would need to get to the teens to take?  TE maybe.  Fant probably goes higher than 32.  Irv Smith may not.  Couple of decent TE prospects in the 2nd.  Tons of WRs will go in the 2nd.  

I figured they would do a lot of moving around in the mid rounds to drop some of those picks.  

I dont think a team like Cincy would give away Boyd.  He is a really good young WR.  AJ Green is hurt and old.  John Ross cannot be relied on and Im sure they know this. I dont really see them as a team with endless WR depth.  They pretty much need to resign Boyd.

But I can see your point.  But cheap young players are hard for teams to part with.  I assume Cincy has cap space.  If anything I think they could trade AJ Green.

14 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

So they dont have enough cap so you suggest trading up for a more expensive 1st rounder.  Or possibly trading for vet contracts that are not cheap.

(I havent looked at their cap. But these ideas are head scratchers if you believe they dont have much money to play with)

Cap space is an issue for a lot of teams.  for the most part your high end talent gets paid at (or in some exceptional cases above) market.

top talent on rookie contracts get considerably less than market in most cases.   This is why draft picks are so important in the salary cap era.

a more expensive first rounder costs more money, but the cost (relative to the extra talent) is nominal in the grand scheme of things.  and if he takes the job of a player who makes more money, that player will be traded or released. 

That's the way the patriots operate.

Trust me when I say, in this case, the money does not matter much

They need to trade back and get some extra picks. they only have a dozen this year and haven't won the Superbowl since last year. 

Lol

On 4/22/2019 at 2:54 PM, sderk said:

I don't think it matters. They will probably go to the SB again and have a 50% chance to win it no matter what they do. 

On 4/22/2019 at 2:54 PM, sderk said:

100% chance, you mean.  The AFC once again will offer little or no real competition.  Been that way for several years now.  6 more automatic divisional wins.  I’m sure their outside divisional schedule against any good teams will be played in Foxboro.  So boring and pointless.  Why even bother anymore? Yawn.