Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

35 inch Pike today.. on the day of our Lord.

Keep in mind a 40 inch Pike is a master angler fish.  I caught this beastly thing on hook with no weights. Just 2 grub worms. One yellow and one red. Shakespeare microlight rod and a Meijer reel. 20 lb braid with NO LEAD. It was like hooking Moby in a kayak on flat water. 

https://ibb.co/myWfK2B

• Like 5

You are the MAN!!!  :headbanger: That fish is beautiful!   

The microlight rod must have felt like you were using a cooked spaghetti noodle. 

Is that 20 pound braided Dacron? 

Ive done some fly ins to canada in my youth.  Caught some monsters then.   Excellent fish man!!!  That had to be fun as hell....draggin yer ass around lol

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

You are the MAN!!!  :headbanger: That fish is beautiful!   

The microlight rod must have felt like you were using a cooked spaghetti noodle. 

Is 20 pound braided Dacron? 

Oh man I love it. It's 4ft7 and it bends like a U. I caught an almost 6 lb bass on it not long ago. 

I use spectrum from Honeywell. I have not had a single time where it snapped. When I change hooks I have to cut or burn it. Can't snap it with your teeth. 

17 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Ive done some fly ins to canada in my youth.  Caught some monsters then.   Excellent fish man!!!  That had to be fun as hell....draggin yer ass around lol

I was not sure what the hell just happened. I thought I hooked i to a damn dinosaur.  It had my rod bent and my line squealing. 

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

I was not sure what the hell just happened. I thought I hooked i to a damn dinosaur.  It had my rod bent and my line squealing. 

Do you ever get the chance to fish saltwater? You deserve the experience if you don't.  :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

Do you ever get the chance to fish saltwater? You deserve the experience if you don't.  :thumbsup:

It's been 20plus years since I had the chance. 

Nice.......a 23 inch Norther Pike was the biggest fish I ever caught when I was about 12.

I always wanted to catch a Large mouth Bass, but never did. I don't fish nowadays but did a lot as a kid. We used to make our own lures from "pop tops" of aluminum cans. 

1 minute ago, Big Guy said:

Nice.......a 23 inch Norther Pike was the biggest fish I ever caught when I was about 12.

And actually my Dad was so excited after I caught that fish, he accidentally hooked me in the head on his next cast.

I do some Cactus Cartoons and I kind of depicted that moment on paper. 

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/thats-my-boy-cactus-town.html

• Thanks 1

bait fishermen.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, taco breath said:

bait fishermen.  :rolleyes:

Well. I mean. I used to use home made co2 cartridge bombs. Spread rice out and wait for them to come up and kill them all. Every single one of them. Turns out A. I was lucky to be 17. And b. The DNR does not find that funny. Not even a little bit. 

Now I stick to a bag full of plastic grubworms of different colors. No weights. Just the hook and the grub. 

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

Well. I mean. I used to use home made co2 cartridge bombs. Spread rice out and wait for them to come up and kill them all. Every single one of them. Turns out A. I was lucky to be 17. And b. The DNR does not find that funny. Not even a little bit. 

LOL. I worked with a guy who had been a soldier in some South American army. He would take hand grenades down to the river and throw them in to kill fish. It worked, and everybody was happy to have plenty of fish to eat. Anyway he finally went down to a new stretch of river and threw the grenade into about 6 inches of water. It blew out both of his ear drums. Totally.  

28 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Now I stick to a bag full of plastic grubworms of different colors. No weights. Just the hook and the grub. 

We used to throw dogfood into my buddies catfish pond and shoot them with a .357 when they came up. That was fun.