Sign in to follow this  
BiPolarBear

Did Your Direct Ancestors Help Kill Off the Indians?

Mine did. they were some of the first to settle a part of Texas. Comanche Indians and others. 

They couldn't leave metal parts laying around because the Indians would get them and make iron arrowheads. My family would go out at night and bury things like old barrel hoops so the Indians would not find them. This was still going on when the Civil War came along. What was left of the Indians noticed that all the able bodied men left and redoubled their efforts to run us off. A teenaged cousin of mine got shot in the hip with an arrow. the Indian caught her before she could reach the cabin, and broke the point off in her. It took her three days to die. Not saying we didn't have it coming. That was just the way things were. 

Anybody else know their family history, on the subject? As a total, I have read European settlers skilled off 56 million Native Americans over a 100 year time frame. Deaths due to airborne pathogens are part of that total. 

1 minute ago, BiPolarBear said:

Do you know which tribe?

My dad did the DNA ancestry thing. We have roots with the Maya and Apache Indians.  

Just now, Cruzer said:

My dad did the DNA ancestry thing. We have roots with the Maya and Apache Indians.  

A great heritage you have, sir. 

• Thanks 1

Wife and I are enrolled tribal members of the Turtle Mountain Band of Ojibwe so not so much.

Though my dad's side of the fam were off the boat from Germany in the 30's.

My family all got here in the early 1900s from Poland, Italy, and what is now Slovakia.  So no.  But... my mom's dad (Italian) disappeared long before I was born; his nickname was "Primo" as the first born and all I've really heard of him was "he ran a reputable pool hall."  So he possibly killed some people and had to disappear.

My grandmother never wanted to talk about it.  I was contacted by some relatives of his in Arizona about 20 years ago.  My wife was all "we need to meet them and find out what happened$#@!"  I was meh; in the end I respected my grandmother's wishes and let the whole thing die, pardon the pun.

My ancestors were German, Osage and Cherokee.  It is assumed that several must have participated in raping and pillaging to some degree.  My great grandfather (German) married a Cherokee woman in 1898.  We believe she was 12 or 13 at that time.  He moved with her from Arkansas to Oklahoma where they continued share-cropping while raising 9 kids in what started as a one room shack with an out house. She died young, as did one of her daughters.  

My family on both sides is Norwegian and they got here in the early 1900s. No they didn’t fight any Indians 

24 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

My ancestors were the Indians. :mad:

Mine too so therefore the answer is yes. More indians were killed by other Indians during the settlement times than by evil white people. Meanwhile the ones that did survive still have trouble figuring out how to live successful lives in this country 500 years later

My uncle kicked the crap out of some dude who was Manning the Dell technical support hotline.

... Probably not the kind of Indian you're thinking of though huh? 😐

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

My ancestors were German, Osage and Cherokee.  It is assumed that several must have participated in raping and pillaging to some degree.  My great grandfather (German) married a Cherokee woman in 1898.  We believe she was 12 or 13 at that time.  He moved with her from Arkansas to Oklahoma where they continued share-cropping while raising 9 kids in what started as a one room shack with an out house. She died young, as did one of her daughters.  

Osage are from the Red River area, between Oklahoma and Texas, I believe.

Yes.

The Osage tribe was in the Ohio and Mississippi River Valley areas back around 700-800 BC

They migrated west in the 17th century after warring with other tribes.  They were well established and controlled a pretty big territory between the Red and Missouri Rivers in the early 1800's.  At some point, they wound up in Kansas and later forced to move to Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) where most of their descendants now live.  I was born in OK, as were my parents and grandparents.  

• Thanks 1

Apparently my ancestors were slaves, way back, so I am looking for reparations of course....

3 minutes ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

Apparently my ancestors were slaves, way back, so I am looking for reparations of course....

#MeToo

2 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

Mine did. they were some of the first to settle a part of Texas. Comanche Indians and others. 

They couldn't leave metal parts laying around because the Indians would get them and make iron arrowheads. My family would go out at night and bury things like old barrel hoops so the Indians would not find them. This was still going on when the Civil War came along. What was left of the Indians noticed that all the able bodied men left and redoubled their efforts to run us off. A teenaged cousin of mine got shot in the hip with an arrow. the Indian caught her before she could reach the cabin, and broke the point off in her. It took her three days to die. Not saying we didn't have it coming. That was just the way things were. 

Anybody else know their family history, on the subject? As a total, I have read European settlers skilled off 56 million Native Americans over a 100 year time frame. Deaths due to airborne pathogens are part of that total. 

which part of Texas?

21 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

which part of Texas?

Around the Fort Worth area. A drawing of the cabin was on a city website until a few years back. They  made bricks and fired them with mesquite wood. right on the spot. The walls were three courses thick with slits to shoot through. It was still standing when I was a kid. 

The Italian side no, the French side much more likely as they'd been in North America a long, long time. I've got some native ancestry from the French side as well, Nipissing tribe.

My ancestors killed the English. Lots of em.  

17 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Quite possibly. My family was in Virginia during the revolution and in East Tennessee by the civil war. I'm sure in between they killed some Cherokee. 

One side of my family came from Virginia ( the part that is West Virginia now) to Texas in a covered wagon. The other side of the family was in Tennessee. My dad's great grandfather was in a Confederate artillery company. He got captured and went to a true hellhole Union prison for two years. 

11 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

One side of my family came from Virginia ( the part that is West Virginia now) to Texas in a covered wagon. The other side of the family was in Tennessee. My dad's great grandfather was in a Confederate artillery company. He got captured and went to a true hellhole Union prison for two years. 

When I was 13-14, I was a huge civil war buff. Wanted to join the sons of confederate veterans and do reenactments. So I did the research and found out my great great great grandfather was a corporal in the 48th Virginia Infantry. He got wounded and left somewhere, lived through the war.

My father's side of the family I know nothing about. They come from Illinois, but ive never met that grandfather, he bailed when my dad was young. 

I'm sure some did. The first Points landed in the Maryland area in the mid 1600's. It wasn't all fighting and killing though. I've got some Cherokee and Choctaw ancestry on both my Mom's and Dad's side of the family.  So we made nice at some point along the way. 

5 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

I'm sure some did. The first Points landed in the Maryland area in the mid 1600's. It wasn't all fighting and killing though. I've got some Cherokee and Choctaw ancestry on both my Mom's and Dad's side of the family.  So we made nice at some point along the way. 

That's called rape today. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Maya have an interesting family. 

10 hours ago, 5-Points said:

Eastern shore folk?

15 hours ago, 5-Points said:

I'm sure some did. The first Points landed in the Maryland area in the mid 1600's. 

Mine also, and we haven't gone far from Southern MD.  Our family history has been well documented by us and there are no Injuns that I know of.

Mine did it the old English way.  Bred them out.  My family moved to the US from Ireland in the 1800s and eventually settled in the South Dakota/Nebraska area.  Lots of Sioux in the family tree.

As someone with more Indian ancestry than Elizabeth Warren how do I get my victim points?

11 hours ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

Eastern shore folk?

5 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Mine also, and we haven't gone far from Southern MD.  Our family history has been well documented by us and there are no Injuns that I know of.

I'm not real sure how long they stayed on the East Coast. At some point they went West and settled in Arkansas. Spent several generations there before my Mom's side of the family relocated to California. 

My Dad's family stayed in Arkansas. My Great Grandmother was half Cherokee. Unfortunately, I only got to meet her once. I was young and she was going senile so I didn't get to learn very much from her. She did tell me I was a pretty little girl. So there's that, I guess. :dunno:

My more recently direct ancestors help kill Germans.

Plus, most of the American Indians were violent nomadic tribes, if not all of them. They fought hard I bet. None of them were native to this land in the first place though.