Sign in to follow this  
listen2me 23

Geek Club NFL Draft Talk

6 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

If Oliver is there they better take him. In most years I want them to trade down, but not this one. They’ve got the 10 picks and have been active in free agency. Take the game changer at #9

Yeah thats how I feel about the Packers.  They havent had a ton of top 15 picks.  Id like them to get a blue chip player.  But some things have happened.

Sweat has that heart issue which he may totally freefall out of the round.  That was a potential DE.  Gary has a bum shoulder and some questions and may slip a bit.  That moves guys like Burns or Oliver up.   

Best hope for the Bills and Packers is a mad dash for QBs dropping players to them.

I have also heard a rumor where the Bills still want to add a high level olinemen.  Even though they signed how many? 4 or 5?  

Also for the sake of conversation I have heard the Pats like Will Grier a lot.  And some people think he could slip into the end of the first round (pats at 32 or a team moving up from top of the 2nd).  

He is an intriguing player.

I know we have a lot of Pats fans here.

"Giants currently have league-high 12 draft picks. Dave Gettleman has been GM for six career drafts. He has never traded down but loves to trade up. Here's how many picks he's actually used by year: 2013: 5 2014: 6 2015: 5 2016: 5 2017: 7 2018: 6 Avg: 5.7 picks used per year."

Thays pretty wild considering how much up and down there is in the mid round or late rounds.

9 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

"Giants currently have league-high 12 draft picks. Dave Gettleman has been GM for six career drafts. He has never traded down but loves to trade up. Here's how many picks he's actually used by year: 2013: 5 2014: 6 2015: 5 2016: 5 2017: 7 2018: 6 Avg: 5.7 picks used per year."

Thays pretty wild considering how much up and down there is in the mid round or late rounds.

That is pretty crazy.  The Giants have a ton of picks, so if he sees someone that he wants to move up and grab, I’m good with that.  They certainly have the ability to do that.  However, they have so many holes (especially on defense) that I’d like to see him use most of those picks.

13 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Also for the sake of conversation I have heard the Pats like Will Grier a lot.  And some people think he could slip into the end of the first round (pats at 32 or a team moving up from top of the 2nd).  

Will Grier has a big arm and loves to throw the ball around...  Plus being 24 he might be able to pick things up quicker from Brady, but I can't see him (or the Pats) wanting to wait until 28 or 29 to start playing if Brady wants to play until 45...  

1 hour ago, posty said:

Will Grier has a big arm and loves to throw the ball around...  Plus being 24 he might be able to pick things up quicker from Brady, but I can't see him (or the Pats) wanting to wait until 28 or 29 to start playing if Brady wants to play until 45...  

Right it is all speculation.  Seems like for years experts call an early QB to the Pats to groom for their next guy.  But if they really think Brady will play 3 or 4 years then it doesnt make a ton of sense.

14 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

I don't think that the Pats like Grier enough to take him in the first (notwithstanding Pauline's report to that effect).  This QB class is not particularly strong.  It is stronger in other areas (DL, WR, etc.) where they have needs.  Grier is more of a 2nd/3rd round guy IMO.  Jones, maybe, but 

They have 6 picks in the first 101 overall, and 12 overall.  They don't have room on the roster for 12 players, so I think that you will see them looking to get some extra picks next year while moving around the board.  I could see them trading out of the first altogether to a team that would rather have that 5th year option on a first rounder instead of waiting to get to the top of the 2nd.  They will move around the board, get at least 2 picks in next year's draft and then make 6-8 picks this year.  Expect a DT, DE, LB, TE, OL, WR and QB.  :dunno:

I miss the old days when they would just show clips of the player as well as stats. I CANNOT STAND these background sob human interest stories of how the player grew up, or what illnesses, challenges they've overcome. :puke:  

Same with American Idol and shows like that.......don't wanna know, don't care!!!  😄

• Thanks 1

Here is a report on Snyder doing Snyder stuff.

Just talked to a Redskins source who told me Dan Snyder has "taken over the first round of the draft."

The last time that happened the Redskins traded two future No. 1's and a No. 2 to move up for Robert Griffin.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Big Guy said:

I miss the old days when they would just show clips of the player as well as stats. I CANNOT STAND these background sob human interest stories of how the player grew up, or what illnesses, challenges they've overcome. :puke:  

Same with American Idol and shows like that.......don't wanna know, don't care!!!  😄

The NFL is well aware of the would be, and actual criminals they employ.  They put a shine on it to get by. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking there is going to be a lot of movement. Teams are paying a premium for defensive talent (see Chiefs-Frank Clark) and this draft is loaded with defenders and a handful of teams have many picks. Still think the Cowboys get themselves into the first round. 

59 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Still think the Cowboys get themselves into the first round. 

I do too.. Mostly bcoz of Jerry's gigantic ego - he can't stand not hearing his name in the 1st round mix.

Unless it's for a nasty DT of some kind - I hope they strap him to the chair.

• Like 2

I really hope the Bears don't blow their 3rd round pick on a running back. There are always interesting guys available late. I want corner, linebacker, and linemen from this draft. Maybe a flyer on a receiver too.

AZ is making a mistake taking Murray #1 overall.

Stay far away!

can we get back to posty?

Lots of smoke in Nashville that the Titans want Drew Lock, QB, Mizzou.

I highly doubt that, but it would be interesting. Would have to trade Mariota for peanuts at that point, let tannehil start the season. 

If Murray doesnt go 1 ill eat all the crow in the world.  

Rich Eisen put something out from "a well respected nfl guy" and he had Cards taking Williams at 1.  

Kiper 2 days ago said 99.9% chance murray is 1. Joel Klatt said rhe other day that it was a lock. Several insider guys there have said they havent ran into anyone in Nashville who thinks thr Cards dont take Murray.  7-1 odds yesterday that Murray goes top 2. (1st to a cards trade back with 9ers)

I dont see why AZ would want to sabatoge their QB relationship and sit at 1 and not even get anything out of it.  

Local radio is talking about the Bears needing to take a rb in the third. So we will never learn how invaluable rbs are. When was a team lead to a championship by a great running back? It doesn't matter. Qb and defense matter. Giving your qb time to throw matters. Running back is by far the easiest position to pull off the street and plug in. See CJ Anderson and the Rams last year

16 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Here is a report on Snyder doing Snyder stuff.

Just talked to a Redskins source who told me Dan Snyder has "taken over the first round of the draft."

The last time that happened the Redskins traded two future No. 1's and a No. 2 to move up for Robert Griffin.

Yeah this doesn't bode well for Redskins fans...

Wish list for Bills at 9:

Oliver

J. Taylor

J. Williams

Or trade down and still get Hockenson

Sadly this year I'm not up on it at all, but I will be watching it.

1 hour ago, dain11279 said:

Wish list for Bills at 9:

Oliver

J. Taylor

J. Williams

Or trade down and still get Hockenson

You want a tight end that badly? I would be pissed if my team took a tight end in the 1st unless he was a generational talent. Once I was happy I had my qb, I would spend early picks on defense and offensive line. I would feel pretty confident filling out running backs and receivers from late rounds and UDFA. 

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

You want a tight end that badly? I would be pissed if my team took a tight end in the 1st unless he was a generational talent. Once I was happy I had my qb, I would spend early picks on defense and offensive line. I would feel pretty confident filling out running backs and receivers from late rounds and UDFA. 

Like I said trade down, I would be good with them taking Hockenson in the late teens but I hear what you're saying. I see some mocks with him going as high as #7 :shocking: to the Jags. I've had the same argument with people on Twitter. If you're gonna take a TE in the top-10 he damn well better turn out like Gronk or Shannon Sharpe, Witten etc.

1 minute ago, Big Guy said:

Sadly this year I'm not up on it at all, but I will be watching it.

Every gloomy situation presents an opportunity.

Dallas has traditionally ignored DT and S in the draft.....or at the very least made them lower priorities... This year, bcoz we don't draft until the 2nd, there's no real pressure to make a splash. I think we may be actually targeting one of these spots - and if we do, I'll be happy as a clam... Whatever we do, I hope we stand pat and don't move up. We aren't good enuff to be giving away picks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Dallas has traditionally ignored DT and S in the draft.....or at the very least made them lower priorities... This year, bcoz we don't draft until the 2nd, there's no real pressure to make a splash. I think we may be actually targeting one of these spots - and if we do, I'll be happy as a clam... Whatever we do, I hope we stand pat and don't move up. We aren't good enuff to be giving away picks.

Agreed.....and like usual it'll be interesting / entertaining 

17 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Safety is probably the least important position on the defense with a plethora of solid safeties available seemingly every year. The Bears got Eddie Jackson in the 3rd, which was an absolute steal. Even if they didn't end up with him, they could have found a solid one somewhere fairly easily. I can't believe the money paid to free agent safeties this offseason

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

Safety is probably the least important position on the defense with a plethora of solid safeties available seemingly every year. The Bears got Eddie Jackson in the 3rd, which was an absolute steal. Even if they didn't end up with him, they could have found a solid one somewhere fairly easily. I can't believe the money paid to free agent safeties this offseason

Somewhat... But if you can draft one, and they are really good - you can have a field general locked in cheap for 5 years. And that's something this team has desperately needed for a long, long, long, long time.

39 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Somewhat... But if you can draft one, and they are really good - you can have a field general locked in cheap for 5 years. And that's something this team has desperately needed for a long, long, long, long time.

I agree. I love that the Bears have a cheap safety who they can rely on. I just meant that spending an early pick on them is usually a bit of a waste. 

like every draft for the past few years. QBs will get drafted far too high.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:18 PM, listen2me 23 said:

This has been the theme for years.  But perhaps for those who havent followed the Packers here is a stat...

Here’s an amazing fact two days before the start of the 2019 NFL draft: Aaron Rodgers has never played with a running back, receiver or tight end that was drafted in the first round by the Green Bay Packers since becoming the starting quarterback in 2008.

He has played with a bunch of guys who NEVER should have been drafted in the first round.   :cry:

31 minutes ago, edjr said:

like every draft for the past few years. QBs will get drafted far too high.

My best case scenario for the Packers, getting the Dolphins, Giants and Washington all believing they have to trade in front of the others to get the QB they want and GB getting an extra pick(s).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Well, who is going number 1?  To whom?

Kyler Murray to the Raiders is my prediction.

Not sure. Currently sitting in the sauna at the gym so I can’t see it yet. Having to stay updated thru social media. 

11 hours ago, posty said:

Yeah this doesn't bode well for Redskins fans...

Snyder wants Haskins.  Others want Jones.   From what I have read.