Sign in to follow this  
listen2me 23

Geek Club NFL Draft Talk

49 minutes ago, LOD01 said:

D.K. should go in the 1st 5 picks tonight via trade up or one of the teams picking. I would not mind him paired with Kyler Murray. Colts would be great. Raiders would be tolerable (great if not for Gruden). SF is out because they like fast tiny guys that get injured easily. Hes a big fast guy that gets injured. The combine interview did not go well form what I hear. Shanahan's a retard anyway. A KC trade up would be hitting the jackpot.

AZ I believe was all over N'Keal Harry and then he was picked by the Pats.   

DK is going to be a bust.  Season ending injuries 2 out of his 3 years. (muscles are not always your friend).  Questionable hands.  Didn't run much of any routes in college.  No real 1 season of production.  Played with AJ Brown.  When DK went down AJ didn't miss a beat.  DK didn't even win that many 50 50 balls.  His whole game is blowing by college level CBs.  Other than his size and speed there is nothing to like about him.  He is a bigger DHB.  

I could see him going to AZ though.  Kirk is going to have a great year from the slot.  They are probably after an outside WR.  

I was real surprised by the Giants.  But Gettleman seems like an old school idiot, so doesn't exactly shock me.   I figured they take Josh Allen as he fell to their lap.  Then try to trade up from 17 to get their QB.  Or hell maybe even sit tight if they know the board.  Instead they take "their guy" at 6.  Then go NT at 17.  Gettleman still thinks it is 1960.  Wow do they need to get him out of there.  Pound the ball and stop the run is his make up.  

As for Jones.  Meh.  This QB class wasn't a good one and everyone knew that coming in.  When Murray declared it helped the class so one didn't have to go at the top.  Some teams had 2nd round grades for Jones.  Some I heard, well the Giants at least, had him as their #1 QB.  Perhaps only the Giants.  

He is athletic.  They say his accuracy goes way down when under any sort of pressure.  Doesn't have a big arm.  Then they say "he looks like a pro QB out there"  Is that a good thing?  To me that sometimes means he is a finished product and isn't going to get a ton better.

At home vs WAKE FOREST Jones and Duke lost 59-7.  Jones had like 140 yard a TD and a pick.  

A lot of people have said that when grading him they never saw a 1st round grade and defiantly no skills of a top 5 talent.  

They took a RB last year at 2.  A position that is a plug and play behind any good line or offense.  Then they take a dull, low upside, pro ready game manager at 6 this year.  

Yikes.  

Jones was a 2nd / 3rd round type prospect. I laughed out loud when the Giants took him 6 overall.

• Haha 1

I don't care for Haskins either.  He can throw the ball.  But he will have to learn the pro game and be able to throw more than screens and bombs.  

And I have heard his character has come under question.  Not so much character but QB character.  Things like maturity and prep work.  That is always a red flag for QB in my eyes.  I want the face of my franchise to come in mature and ready to work.

The Giants or Skins should have thrown a 2nd at Rosen and not feel tied to him.  Draft a QB next year from that loaded class if you don't like what you see from Rosen.

If the Giants had take Sam Darnold last year then they wouldn't have had to press this year in a below average class of QBs.   

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

Jones was a 2nd / 3rd round type prospect. I laughed out loud when the Giants took him 6 overall.

It was early.  But he was going first round one way or another and probably top 20.  He wasn't mocked to the 2nd or 3rd.  I understand what you mean by saying he was a 2nd or 3rd round prospect.  But Jones and Haskins and even Lock were all sort in a grab bag.  No one knew which would go off the board first or which team liked which guy.  

35 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

AZ I believe was all over N'Keal Harry and then he was picked by the Pats.   

DK is going to be a bust.  Season ending injuries 2 out of his 3 years. (muscles are not always your friend).  Questionable hands.  Didn't run much of any routes in college.  No real 1 season of production.  Played with AJ Brown.  When DK went down AJ didn't miss a beat.  DK didn't even win that many 50 50 balls.  His whole game is blowing by college level CBs.  Other than his size and speed there is nothing to like about him.  He is a bigger DHB.  

I could see him going to AZ though.  Kirk is going to have a great year from the slot.  They are probably after an outside WR.  

DK just needs some coaching. He was rock solid on the gauntlet which puts him light years ahead of DHB. I mean DK has never come close to having a deep pass land on his helmet like DHB did. He does things DHB only dreams of. DK is a huge risk but the reward is really huge. If his last name wasn't Metcalf, I too would be leery but he has pedigree. He's gonna need good coaching and he definitely needs to spend less time working out and more time learning routes.

5 minutes ago, LOD01 said:

DK just needs some coaching. He was rock solid on the gauntlet which puts him light years ahead of DHB. I mean DK has never come close to having a deep pass land on his helmet like DHB did. He does things DHB only dreams of. DK is a huge risk but the reward is really huge. If his last name wasn't Metcalf, I too would be leery but he has pedigree. He's gonna need good coaching and he definitely needs to spend less time working out and more time learning routes.

Yeah I mean if it clicks and he refines his game he could be real good.  And not to get all combine.  But he had a slower 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle than TOM BRADY.  If there is one timed event I put stock into it is the 3 cone.  Football is much more about changing direction than running straight at full speed.  Who the hell is this guys agent?  if you know you can't do the 3 cone but just wrecked the 40 then sit it out.  Harry did.  Plenty do each year.  His 3 cone cost him the 1st round easily.   

DK Metcalf’s percentile rankings from the combine are hilarious. He’s the greatest athletic freak on earth….as long as he doesn’t have to change direction.

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/6311352-d-k-metcalf-shuttle-and-3-cone-times-at-nfl-combine-worse-than-tom-brady

45 minutes ago, MDC said:

He's actually not even that good

If Gettleman takes Josh Allen and then takes the same two guys he took after he would have re-built the defense, impact on 3 levels and been a hero. He went another route. 

15 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Yeah I mean if it clicks and he refines his game he could be real good.  And not to get all combine.  But he had a slower 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle than TOM BRADY.  If there is one timed event I put stock into it is the 3 cone.  Football is much more about changing direction than running straight at full speed.  Who the hell is this guys agent?  if you know you can't do the 3 cone but just wrecked the 40 then sit it out.  Harry did.  Plenty do each year.  His 3 cone cost him the 1st round easily.   

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/6311352-d-k-metcalf-shuttle-and-3-cone-times-at-nfl-combine-worse-than-tom-brady

That's the funny thing. He could have sat out but didn't. All the guys his size sit out. So I give him a + for that even though he slipped twice, didn't train for it and did it anyway. Dinging him for something that the other guys didn't do because they would have been equally as slow is a mistake. Calvin J didn't do it at all because he would have come in with a gawd awful time yet he was dominant.....even with a garbage QB like Stafford. Short area quickness is needed for little guys, not for big guys. He won't be running 3 cone style change of direction routes. Neither does AJ Green, neither did Andre J or Calvin J. 

4 minutes ago, LOD01 said:

That's the funny thing. He could have sat out but didn't. All the guys his size sit out. So I give him a + for that even though he slipped twice, didn't train for it and did it anyway. Dinging him for something that the other guys didn't do because they would have been equally as slow is a mistake. Calvin J didn't do it at all because he would have come in with a gawd awful time yet he was dominant.....even with a garbage QB like Stafford. Short area quickness is needed for little guys, not for big guys. He won't be running 3 cone style change of direction routes. Neither does AJ Green, neither did Andre J or Calvin J. 

Don't agree.  You are speculating.   Metcalf had an all time bad 3 cone time for a guy who is propped up so high because of his athleticism. 

To compare him to guys you are naming is off.  What did he do in college?  Couple catches on the highlight tape?  

DK Metcalf runs straight downfield and cannot adjust to the ball like N'Keal Harry, or AJ Brown. He is not a tactician like AJ Green was coming out.  

I think we both agree he is boom or bust.  As a Packers fan I personally would rather have Deebo Samuel or AJ Brown.  Butler is another big WR with upside.  To me if DK does pan out it will be much more in the form of a weapon.  A 60 catch huge YPC avg guy.  Not a 100 catch force feed type.  

27 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

If Gettleman takes Josh Allen and then takes the same two guys he took after he would have re-built the defense, impact on 3 levels and been a hero. He went another route. 

Why pick a run stopper like Lawrence when they traded their other run stopper last year for a 5th rounder?

17 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Don't agree.  You are speculating.   Metcalf had an all time bad 3 cone time for a guy who is propped up so high because of his athleticism. 

To compare him to guys you are naming is off.  What did he do in college?  Couple catches on the highlight tape?  

DK Metcalf runs straight downfield and cannot adjust to the ball like N'Keal Harry, or AJ Brown. He is not a tactician like AJ Green was coming out.  

I think we both agree he is boom or bust.  As a Packers fan I personally would rather have Deebo Samuel or AJ Brown.  Butler is another big WR with upside.  To me if DK does pan out it will be much more in the form of a weapon.  A 60 catch huge YPC avg guy.  Not a 100 catch force feed type.  

No need to speculate. It's fact. Big guys do not run those drills because they are not made for them. 

Look at Andre Johnson's' college stats. Extrapolate Metcalfs over the same # of games. Stats would be very close.  Throw out their 1st years because neither did anything. I am looking at 23 games vs 19 games. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dk-metcalf-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/andre-johnson-1.html

Simply his biggest concern is injury, nothing else. Andre didn't have great hands or routes coming into the league. He is the best comparison of DK Metcalf. Not hacks like DHB and Stephen Hill. 

Also, I'm wondering how much the 49er interview ended up dropping Metcalf. I'd like to know what happened. I like the fact that BALT passed on him. Hopefully BUF stays away as well. INDY or KC would be ideal.

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

I honestly believe they were preparing to draft Sweat at 15, and couldn't pass on Haskins. And then Sweat fell, so they traded to get him.  

Haskins fell simply because there is no comparable to him in the NFL, and scouts/fans rely almost solely on comparables.  Good pick.

So who is Haskins going to throw to?  Chris Thompson?

29 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Probably the other team more often than not.  :dunno:

He should have stayed one more year. 

Patriots have 5 picks coming up tonight (2 in the second, 3 in the third).  I doubt highly that they will use all 5, but you never know.  I see them looking at OL, TE, LB and maybe even QB.  It will be interesting to see where Grier goes 

3 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I doubt Haskins will be a franchise qb, but damn did they get a STEAL on Sweat

Curious as to why you think that. All the overall and situational stats I’ve seen make him look like a very good pick. The one negative I keep reading is that he could have used another year in college. 

This is one of the things that sells me on Metcalf, assuming hes not just blowing smoke and trying to say all the right things: 

D.K. Metcalf, former wide receiver at Ole Miss, knows that making it to the NFL is only the first step. “What I learned from my dad … is to just keep working, even when I get there,” Metcalf, who is about to be drafted, said. “Some people think they’ve made it [once they’ve reached the NFL]. But you just don’t settle for average. Don’t settle for, ‘Oh I’ve made it to the league, I can stop working out.’” This isn’t just sage advice from an ambitious father — Metcalf’s dad, Terrence Metcalf, is a former NFL player.

Given this, it probably won’t surprise many to learn that Metcalf wakes up at 6 a.m. most days to participate in long workouts, eating right is a big part of his regular routine and he’s often away from his family for months at a time in order to train (and family is a big deal to Metcalf). But he knows it will all pay off soon.

The draft takes place in Nashville, Tennessee, from April 25-27, and, on the one hand, Metcalf is anxious to see where he’s going to land, but at the same time, after receiving advice during a recent team visit to “enjoy the process,” he’s been trying to do just that. “A lot of people don’t get to do this,” he said. “A lot of people don’t get to have this opportunity, so I’m just … enjoying every moment ’cause [pretty soon], I’m gonna have to get back to work.”

But before he does that, he plans to celebrate. “This was a long journey just to get drafted first, and I’m gonna enjoy it with my family,” he said. He added, “The moment I hear my name called, I’m probably going to shed a few tears, hug every one of my family members that’s there and just tell them, ‘thank you.’”

18 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Dolphins passed on Haskins. Hellooooooooooo trade for Josh Rosen

:wave:

It would be funny as hell if they are picking 1st next year and there is a stud QB available. They have a real shot at picking #1.

I'm old enough to remember the Giants taking a QB out of Moorhead state with the 7th pick and all the hootin and hollerin.  2 Super Bowls later it appeared to work out. Hey, you never know. It's all I got. 

19 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

Giants Fans are "Day Dream Believers" for sure. 

They took the last train to shartsville 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, avoiding injuries said:

Curious as to why you think that. All the overall and situational stats I’ve seen make him look like a very good pick. The one negative I keep reading is that he could have used another year in college. 

I dont he made a lot of his completions on shorter routes, and he didn't seem to be as accurate on longer throws. Maybe the offense can take advantage of his ability in the short game, but if he needs to start throwing it down field for a come back, idk if he has the right skills for that. 

4 hours ago, LOD01 said:

No need to speculate. It's fact. Big guys do not run those drills because they are not made for them. 

Look at Andre Johnson's' college stats. Extrapolate Metcalfs over the same # of games. Stats would be very close.  Throw out their 1st years because neither did anything. I am looking at 23 games vs 19 games. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dk-metcalf-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/andre-johnson-1.html

Simply his biggest concern is injury, nothing else. Andre didn't have great hands or routes coming into the league. He is the best comparison of DK Metcalf. Not hacks like DHB and Stephen Hill. 

Also, I'm wondering how much the 49er interview ended up dropping Metcalf. I'd like to know what happened. I like the fact that BALT passed on him. Hopefully BUF stays away as well. INDY or KC would be ideal.

He isnt rated that high is what happened.  He ran a crazy timr and took his shirt off and everyone flipped out like that means hes going to be the next Julio.

You are making things up.  Route running ability and great ball skills is not DK.  3rd overall pick you are comparing him to.  It isnt correct.  Agree to disagree I guess.

“It’s hard to find big-bodied receivers with the combination of size, speed, athleticism and ball skills Johnson displayed as the No. 1 receiver at “The U” during the early 2000s. The 6-foot-2, 230-pounder dominated opponents on the perimeter as a vertical playmaker with explosive route-running ability and exceptional ball skills…

I read that Daniel Jones can make all the handoffs. Left side, right side, pitches. So there's that. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I read that Daniel Jones can make all the handoffs. Left side, right side, pitches. So there's that. 

Serious props form hanging in there with your team.  :cheers:

4 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

Serious props form hanging in there with your team.  :cheers:

What else can you do? Now I hear it's a racial thing. Makes me dig in now. 

What else can you do? Now I hear it's a racial thing. Makes me dig in now. 

Yeah well you will be digging in to defend a most likely bad qb.

Im all for teams getting their guy.  Giants stood behind their scouting.  Thats fine.  I do think Gettleman is too old school however.

I would love to know how they honestly rank rhe QBs from last year with Jones thrown in the mix.   Number 1?  Above Darnold?  Id love to know.

9 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Im all for teams getting their guy.  Giants stood behind their scouting.  Thats fine.  I do think Gettleman is too old school however.

I would love to know how they honestly rank rhe QBs from last year with Jones thrown in the mix.   Number 1?  Above Darnold?  Id love to know.

Isn't every pick pretty much a team getting their guy? When a GM makes a bad pick, because it was their guy doesn't make the pick any better. 

10 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Yeah well you will be digging in to defend a most likely bad qb.

Bears fans critiquing QB's. Funny stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Isn't every pick pretty much a team getting their guy? When a GM makes a bad pick, because it was their guy doesn't make the pick any better. 

They could have tried to trade down and played that game.  But clearly liked him enough to take him at 6 and not play that game.

If every team had the same board then no one would have "a guy".  Jones may have differed from the norm and maybe they knew it would get heat but made the pick anyway.  

Bears fans critiquing QB's. Funny stuff. 

Yeah we know what a bust qb looks like.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

They could have tried to trade down and played that game.  But clearly liked him enough to take him at 6 and not play that game.

If every team had the same board then no one would have "a guy".  Jones may have differed from the norm and maybe they knew it would get heat but made the pick anyway.  

I agree and I am fine with other teams making bad picks. The NFL still has a ways to go to get better at identifying busts.