Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2019 PGA Championship Thread**

Golf's second major of the year with arguably its deepest field as well starts in just three weeks. I have always enjoyed the PGA Championship as the actual tournament is often more compelling than both the US and British Opens, but this year, it feels reborn with the May date and enhanced vibe. So, here's to a great major gaining a new identity perhaps and producing some great golf. The following is my top ten predictions three weeks out, but changes are possible between now and May 13th depending on what happens in Charlotte primarily.

1. Rickie Fowler- I am sensing the PGA will produce a first time major winner and why not the most accomplished player in the world (minus Lee Westwood) without one. I really think Rickie's time is here. 

2. Tommy Fleetwood- If not Fowler, then possibly Fleetwood. Haven't been as impressed with recent form, but he's playing a lot in the U.S. this year and I think that will pay dividends come mid-May. Can go really low, even on a tough course like the Black. 

3. Dustin Johnson- Long overdue for his second major win, the length at Bethpage would appear to give him an extreme advantage. Sunday's close at Hilton Head was bizarre, though, and makes me wonder a bit if I'm overvaluing him here. 

4. Jon Rahm- I could see Rahm taking this just as easily as it going to Fowler or Fleetwood. Getting into contention in majors is going to become an every-major occurrence for Rahm, I think, until he wins one. And, that win could come this year. 

5. Brooks Koepka- It's a major and he's come to define success at majors over the past year. Gotta be in the top five. 

6. Rory McIlroy- Still the best player in the world this season thus far aside from his middling performance at Augusta. Rory is tailor-made for success at PGA Championships given his ability to score, but something tells me the hangover from another Masters disappointment will linger a bit here. 

7. Matt Kuchar- I don't know if Bethpage is a fit or not, but Kuchar is simply finishing top ten almost every time he tees it up right now. To leave him out of a top ten here, thus, feels disrespectful at best. 

8. Sergio Garcia- Ball striking clinic the past two tournaments vaults Sergio into the top ten at a course he’s played well before. 

9. Bryson DeChambeau- Despite his five wins over the past calendar year, DeChambeau has still never finished top ten in a major. That streak has got to end soon...how about now?

10. Xander Schauffele- Big game hunter. Shows up with ferocity in Majors and my early pick to possibly win at Pebble Beach. Here, I think a back-door top ten is the call. 

Tiger is the obvious omission here. I don't mean to disrespect him in any way...I just think there will be some natural hangover from a Masters to remember and that he'll ultimately finish in the top 25, but not much better than that. 

It always sucked having a big gap between the Masters and the U.S. Open so this is going to be awesome. The PGA is still my 4th favorite major, though. 

Couldn't agree with your top pick more. I will be wagering substantially on Rickie for this one. Will be a lot of fun at Bethpage this year.

Still on the fence about moving the PGA to May.......only bcoz it's so radical. I'm guessing once we're up and under way I will come around and actually love it. Just looking at it, I do like the fact season's end isn't so cluttered anymore. Especially in Olympic years - August can be a real mess. In 2016 between the PGA, FedEx playoffs, and Rio - what a cluster fock.

That being said, and as much as I love Bethpage - some courses were meant for one type of major. Would anyone ever dream of hosting a PGA at Winged Foot,. Pebble, or Shinnecock Hills? Absolutely not, nor do I see Bethpage Black as anything other than a phenomenal US Open venue. PGAs (generally) are shootouts - the setup and teeth will be completely different - anyone want to see Bethpage play that way?  

But I'm still excited to see how it all plays out - and glad we finally have a gap filler for April - June.

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

Still on the fence about moving the PGA to May.......only bcoz it's so radical. I'm guessing once we're up and under way I will come around and actually love it. Just looking at it, I do like the fact season's end isn't so cluttered anymore. Especially in Olympic years - August can be a real mess. In 2016 between the PGA, FedEx playoffs, and Rio - what a cluster fock.

That being said, and as much as I love Bethpage - some courses were meant for one type of major. Would anyone ever dream of hosting a PGA at Winged Foot,. Pebble, or Shinnecock Hills? Absolutely not, nor do I see Bethpage Black as anything other than a phenomenal US Open venue. PGAs (generally) are shootouts - the setup and teeth will be completely different - anyone want to see Bethpage play that way?  

But I'm still excited to see how it all plays out - and glad we finally have a gap filler for April - June.

Oakmont is another that comes to mind of not a PGA course.

And lets not all jinx Rick's chances.  Ill be rooting for him.  

I think Rory gets overrated consistantly.  Obviously skilled as all hell (can he putt?) He isnt in a speef slump.  But he just feels like a total boom or bust.  His major track record as of late is very hit or miss.   I dont trust him tourny to tourny.  

I do think Rose bounces back strong.

I hope Tiger is staying hungry like of old.  Hopefully he didnt celebrate his Masters win for tooooo long.

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

Oakmont is another that comes to mind of not a PGA course.

Yea for sure, as well as Congressional... Surprising though - both have hosted PGAs in the past. I had forgotten that - seems odd.

When I hear PGA I think of places like Kiawah Island, Valhalla, Medinah and Whistling Straits.

Seems like the US Open is setting off on a West Coast- East Coast thing in the years to come with nothing being played in the middle of the country. I hate to see that. At least the PGA has some venues planned that aren't ten miles inland from either the Atlantic or Pacific. 

As far as a winner. Hell unless Koepka shows up in a cast - give me him. He's on a Major Championship tear.

2 hours ago, bostonlager said:

It always sucked having a big gap between the Masters and the U.S. Open so this is going to be awesome. The PGA is still my 4th favorite major, though. 

The Players is better than the PGA

PGA is the only major I have ever attended in person and it's pretty fantastic. PGA of America does a great job setting it up and making it fan-friendly. It has jumped ahead of the US Open on my list of favorite majors with the Masters and Open Championship in a firm tie for first. 

US open tortures the players, that makes it better than the PGA

I love that the US Open is a torture chamber and that the PGA is (often) a shootout.

Tiger/Bob May was some of the best golf I've ever seen - one of the most epic Sunday battles ever.  

One thing that the PGA move has done is that it's broken up the back-to-back scheduling of the Byron Nelson and Colonial.

Two tournaments, 25 miles apart, are now forced to break up. So instead of flying into the same airport, staying at same hotel, players now have to leave DFW, go away, then come back. And with the Memorial the week following Colonial - they've all but killed any chance of top 10'ers coming to play.

Romo better get his clubs ready - he might have to play.  😁

I know every year players complain and a few years they have went overboard.  

But for me US >>>> PGA.  

PGA basically feels like the 2nd Players.  Good field low scores.  

I tend to like to watch the grind.  I like when Par is a good score.

I used to love the US Open. Because of the penalizing rough, it rewarded accuracy and guys like Furyk and Pavin were always strong contenders as a result. Now, they're mostly just going to big ball parks where the long hitters reign primarily and youth is generally served. Meanwhile, the PGA set-up is usually spot on and definitely has the deeper field. Still look forward to the US Open, but they need to get back to what made it great. It was great the last time it was at Pebble, so maybe this will mark a turning point for the USGA. 

21 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

I used to love the US Open. Because of the penalizing rough, it rewarded accuracy and guys like Furyk and Pavin were always strong contenders as a result. Now, they're mostly just going to big ball parks where the long hitters reign primarily and youth is generally served. Meanwhile, the PGA set-up is usually spot on and definitely has the deeper field. Still look forward to the US Open, but they need to get back to what made it great. It was great the last time it was at Pebble, so maybe this will mark a turning point for the USGA. 

I can agree that the game as a whole has moved towards bombers.  This isnt new.

But I disagree about griping about the US Open and singling it out.  First I believe in one Koepka putted like a mad man.

4 of the last 7 winners are named...spieth. kaymer. rose. simpson.

Last years runner up was fleetwood.

Year before it was Brian Harmon.

The year before it was a 3 way tie with Furyk. Lowry. Piercy.

I dont see the gripe.

The US Open movement I've not been happy about is the wide open, links style look. We had a stretch there of Chambers Bay, Oakmont, Erin Hills and Shinnecock. As much as I revere some of these, we already have an Open Championship - let's get back to traditional US type venues. I want to see Winged Foot, Olympic Club, Congressional,  Merion, etc..

That dogshitt mess at Erin Hills and Chambers Bay was a joke. I hope they never go back there.

We should get the US Open moved to CBS, ABC, or NBC. Fox golf coverage, especially Joe Buck sucks balls. 

• Like 1

Just now, bostonlager said:

We should get the US Open moved to CBS, ABC, or NBC. Fox golf coverage, especially Joe Buck sucks balls. 

That ain't no shiit. 😫

8 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

The US Open movement I've not been happy about is the wide open, links style look. We had a stretch there of Chambers Bay, Oakmont, Erin Hills and Shinnecock. As much as I revere some of these, we already have an Open Championship - let's get back to traditional US type venues. I want to see Winged Foot, Olympic Club, Congressional,  Merion, etc..

That dogshitt mess at Erin Hills and Chambers Bay was a joke. I hope they never go back there.

I agree.  Merion is my favorite even though they probably never return.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruzer said:

As far as a winner. Hell unless Koepka shows up in a cast - give me him. He's on a Major Championship tear.

Did you have 1st pick?

Thought the Wells Fargo field would be loaded given it's spot on the schedule two weeks prior to the PGA, but it's not. Wow. A lot of guys taking significant time off between the Masters and PGA. 

Tiger Woods at 8-1 is going to get Vegas their money back. No way he wins this tournament without having teed it up in between the two majors. He's still riding high after victory at Augusta (as he should), but he's not going to be sharp at Bethpage. 

31 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Thought the Wells Fargo field would be loaded given it's spot on the schedule two weeks prior to the PGA, but it's not. Wow. A lot of guys taking significant time off between the Masters and PGA. 

Me too.. Quail Hollow is not some regular run-of-the-mill track - it's prized venue, hosted the PGA in 2017.

The Byron Nelson is next week, and it's since moved to a butt ass ugly track in Dallas. I'd be shocked to see many top names stop there either.

Every Quail is hollow after I get done with 'em

golf is a dying sport. 

14 hours ago, taco breath said:

golf is a dying sport. 

Thank you for your meaningful contribution to this discussion. :)

Far as a pick? Who knows, but hard to bet against DJ and/or Koepka.

Sure love to see Kooch or Fowler win though.

Tiger wins all 4 this year

6 hours ago, Fumbleweed said:

Thank you for your meaningful contribution to this discussion. :)

Pete Cowen

Coach who has worked with Danny Willett, Darren Clarke, Henrik Stenson, Lee Westwood and Sergio Garcia. Runs academy in Rotherham.

“Golf is in danger, but the solutions are clear: We must be more family-orientated, and cheaper. I don’t think there is any doubt at all that golf is nowhere as inclusive as it needs to be.

“We need to find ways to bring more families in, because at the current rate, where are I’m from, this sport is in a dire situation. I have real fears. We have seen a 40 per cent decline in people at the golf range over the last 10 years in the north of England. Courses are going bankrupt. So many are being put up for sale. It really is a race against time for this sport to move forward. I don’t know about creches and facilities particularly, but I do believe we need to find a way to quicken up the sport to make it mirror modern life.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2018/09/25/golf-needs-modernised-halt-steady-decline-experts-have-say/

WD for J.B. Holmes at the Wells Fargo. Out of the top ten you go. 

Watching the tourney this week............Quail Hollow is one spectacular track.

Have watched Sergio put on a clinic tee to green past two weeks. Moving him into my top ten for Bethpage. 

Heading out to Bethpage tomorrow for the first round.  I'll be the guy in the golf shirt and hat.  Look for me.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fricker66 said:

Heading out to Bethpage tomorrow for the first round.  I'll be the guy yelling mashed potatoes.  Look for me.  

:thumbsdown:

I know that it isn't his fault, but this is one of the huge reasons I dislike Woods...

----------------------------

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26762339/koepka-63-ties-pga-mark-sets-course-record

Brooks Koepka got off to a blistering start in the defense of his PGA Championship title, shooting a course record at Bethpage Black to take the early first-round lead.

Koepka shot a 7-under-par 63 on Thursday, with seven birdies -- including a 35-footer on his final hole -- and zero bogeys. The 63 also tied the tournament record.

The score matched Koepka's lowest round to par in a major and his lowest stroke total in a major round. Koepka shot a 7-under 63 in the second round of the 2018 PGA Championship, which he went on to win by 2 strokes over Tiger Woods.

Woods shot 72 and trails Koepka by nine shots after the first round.

Koepka is just the third golfer with multiple rounds of 63 in major championship history -- joining Greg Norman and Vijay Singh -- and is the first to do it in consecutive years.

Overall, there have been 17 rounds of 63 in the PGA Championship, and Koepka is the first to do it twice.

He doesn't need to be in this story AT ALL, but the sports media has to put him in everything...

Hell sports radio today with the PGA update in my neck of the woods, said, "Koepka leads at -2, Woods is at +2 after a double bogey on his first hole, but in reality hole #10 on the course."  That was it...  I am actually shocked that they even mentioned the leader at all..

As I said, I know it isn't his fault, but this doesn't help...

30 minutes ago, posty said:

I know that it isn't his fault, but this is one of the huge reasons I dislike Woods...

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26762339/koepka-63-ties-pga-mark-sets-course-record

Brooks Koepka got off to a blistering start in the defense of his PGA Championship title, shooting a course record at Bethpage Black to take the early first-round lead.

Koepka shot a 7-under-par 63 on Thursday, with seven birdies -- including a 35-footer on his final hole -- and zero bogeys. The 63 also tied the tournament record.

The score matched Koepka's lowest round to par in a major and his lowest stroke total in a major round. Koepka shot a 7-under 63 in the second round of the 2018 PGA Championship, which he went on to win by 2 strokes over Tiger Woods.

Woods shot 72 and trails Koepka by nine shots after the first round.

Koepka is just the third golfer with multiple rounds of 63 in major championship history -- joining Greg Norman and Vijay Singh -- and is the first to do it in consecutive years.

Overall, there have been 17 rounds of 63 in the PGA Championship, and Koepka is the first to do it twice.

He doesn't need to be in this story AT ALL, but the sports media has to put him in everything...

Hell sports radio today with the PGA update in my neck of the woods, said, "Koepka leads at -2, Woods is at +2 after a double bogey on his first hole, but in reality hole #10 on the course."  That was it...  I am actually shocked that they even mentioned the leader at all..

As I said, I know it isn't his fault, but this doesn't help...

TW didn't write the story - ur butthurtness seems misdirected. You might should be upset with the media, not him.

That being said:

* TW is the reigning Masters Champion

* TW was paired with Koepka

* TW won a US Open at Bethpage

* TW is a 15 Major winning living legend

I wouldn't say it was necessarily mandatory for him to be in the story, but fact he is isn't 'a crazy stretch at all - totally reasonable.

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

TW didn't write the story - ur butthurtness seems misdirected. You might should be upset with the media, not him.

That being said:

* TW is the reigning Masters Champion

* TW was paired with Koepka

* TW won a US Open at Bethpage

* TW is a 15 Major winning living legend

I wouldn't say it was necessarily mandatory for him to be in the story, but fact he is isn't 'a crazy stretch at all - totally reasonable.

That is why I said, I know it isn't his fault...