Sign in to follow this  
iam90sbaby

California May Ban Schools From Suspending Students For ‘Willful Defiance’

The California State Senate voted to ban schools and principals from suspending students for “willful defiance” of teachers, staff, and administrators.

The Senate approved SB 419 Monday by a vote of 30-8. It moves to the Assembly next.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/04/23/willful-defiance-bill-senate/

And the never ending quest to lower standards continues 

If they want to have qualified and effective teachers, this is not the way to go.

If you are a teacher in California and you know that the kids now run the room, you should leave.....

If you are a parent and now know that the worst kid in any given class can hijack that room with no consequence, you need to get your kid out of that school if you can.

This kind of response to misbehavior is not the answer. It is not the answer to improve education, it is not the answer to prepare these kids for life.  They are setting these kids up for failure.

• Thanks 1

doesnt this just mean they will handle discipline in the school rather than removing them from the school? 

24 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

doesnt this just mean they will handle discipline in the school rather than removing them from the school? 

"As part of the new bill, superintendents or principals would be asked to provide alternatives to suspension or expulsion that are “age appropriate and designed to address and correct the pupil’s specific misbehavior.”"

That looks like it means they can still be punished, just not by keeping them at home. Whether this bill is a disaster or not will come down to how those punishments are handled (I assume the reasoning behind this is something along the lines of kids who act up in school are the ones who need to be within the structure of a school and not at home getting into trouble, or maybe that some of the punks actually welcome getting out of school).

Just now, ZeroTolerance said:

"As part of the new bill, superintendents or principals would be asked to provide alternatives to suspension or expulsion that are “age appropriate and designed to address and correct the pupil’s specific misbehavior.”"

That looks like it means they can still be punished, just not by keeping them at home. Whether this bill is a disaster or not will come down to how those punishments are handled (I assume the reasoning behind this is something along the lines of kids who act up in school are the ones who need to be within the structure of a school and not at home getting into trouble, or maybe that some of the punks actually welcome getting out of school).

I agree, I think every study has proven that expulsion from school actually produces worse outcomes 

I read something similar about parkland the other day. Basically, they had this program in place and that's why the shooter was still allowed to come onto campus. So, at least they've got a great role model.

Virtually guaranteed the same thing happens within a year.

• Like 1

From the article

Research has shown the category of willful defiance was disproportionately used to discipline minority students, specifically African-Americans. Assembly Bill 420 was signed into law by Governor Brown in 2014, eliminating the expulsion option for schools. It took effect on January 1, 2015.

53 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I read something similar about parkland the other day. Basically, they had this program in place and that's why the shooter was still allowed to come onto campus. So, at least they've got a great role model.

We are way overdue for one of these thin skinned losers to go batsh1t crazy again.

8 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

From the article

Research has shown the category of willful defiance was disproportionately used to discipline minority students, specifically African-Americans. Assembly Bill 420 was signed into law by Governor Brown in 2014, eliminating the expulsion option for schools. It took effect on January 1, 2015.

Ok, then make them behave better.....  :wall:

2 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

Wait until a kid wears a Trump shirt and defies a teacher's order to take it off. They'll change the rules for that.

Yeah but we will never hear about it.

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

You’re not supposed to ask these questions. You’re supposed to react emotionally and form an opinion that reinforces your worldview entirely based on the headline and your own emotional feelings. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

Correct. It's the kind of failure in logic that leads to negative outcomes, even if the initial effort was meant to be positive. Its the hallmark of liberal irrationality that we see manifest and cause really nasty consequences.

20 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

I agree, I think every study has proven that expulsion from school actually produces worse outcomes 

Not for the other kids in the class it doesn't.

I had a kid tell me to fock my mother last week. 15 year old. I got in his face and dared him to meet me off campus out of uniform and say that. He backed down like a poosay.

We are not allowed to discipline in any way. Can't send them out of class. Can't make them stand. Nothing. The kids know we are powerless. And this is just a bunch of rich chinese punks. I can't imagine how it fairs in Oakland or some such hole.

My ex wife was subbing once, caught a girl cheating on a test. The girl said "I will cut you white b!tch. Fock off."

City public schools are just a social services center at this point.

A kid being able to stay home from school legally? That’s the dream for these kids. They can play video games all day long. No make them get out there and pull weeds. If that proves “too difficult and like slave labor” do what some of the drill instructors I know did to kids on profiles who weren’t allowed to do physical activity by their doctor: make them stand there and blink rapidly until you get tired of them blinking. 

20 hours ago, ZeroTolerance said:

20 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Who defines what those “age appropriate" measures are?  Sure, they'll want the Super's and Principals setting those guidelines, but good luck finding one where the results don't make minorities look worse.  Because, WHEN that doesn't work, the government will take over the setting those guidelines.  WHEN that doesn't work, you'll start seeing school districts lose teachers and parents of the good kids moving out of the district.  Say goodbye to "diversity".  This will be the fast pass to segregation.

There are many ways to discipline kids other than saying don't come back for 2 weeks. 

That is not the answer. There are ways to keep them in school but not disrupt classrooms. 

Effort to not punish certain violent groups for their violent behavior. Not surprised given the way they support violence against those who dare disagree politically.

This worked out well in Florida.... :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

A kid being able to stay home from school legally? That’s the dream for these kids. They can play video games all day long. No make them get out there and pull weeds. If that proves “too difficult and like slave labor” do what some of the drill instructors I know did to kids on profiles who weren’t allowed to do physical activity by their doctor: make them stand there and blink rapidly until you get tired of them blinking. 

You can't take the "kid" out of the "home".  If the kids are acting out to the level of "willful defiance", are that way because of their home life and their parent(s), inability to control them.  Whether you suspend them or not, the kid still will go home at 3 pm.  Like I said above, good luck with the school coming up with a solution that meets the goals the government wants to accomplish.  Since their goals are impossible, there's no good thing that'll come from this.

38 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

There are many ways to discipline kids other than saying don't come back for 2 weeks. 

That is not the answer. There are ways to keep them in school but not disrupt classrooms. 

First time offenders for suspensions don't get 2 weeks, it's usually only a day or 2 (pending on what they did).  If someone got suspended for 2 weeks, that's because they're habitual offenders, really horrible kids who don't belong in school, or they did something so heinous that they belong in jail.

9 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

First time offenders for suspensions don't get 2 weeks, it's usually only a day or 2 (pending on what they did).  If someone got suspended for 2 weeks, that's because they're habitual offenders, really horrible kids who don't belong in school, or they did something so heinous that they belong in jail.

Like Nikolas Cruz, for example.

25 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Right, it's not on the school at that point, get the kid out.

School's shouldn't be in the business of administering long term discipline.  It's silly, normal schools aren't designed for that sort of thing and shouldn't be.  The goal is education.

What a great idea.  God forbid we ask parents to participate in the  education of their children.  Let the schools babysit the bad kids instead of having their parents correct the actions that resulted in the suspension in the first place.  I'm sure when teachers go to college their dream of being a teacher has to do with disciplining and babysitting bad kids and not in actually teaching them what they're in school to learn.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Strike said:

What a great idea.  God forbid we ask parents to participate in the  education of their children.  Let the schools babysit the bad kids instead of having their parents correct the actions that resulted in the suspension in the first place.  I'm sure when teachers go to college their dream of being a teacher has to do with disciplining and babysitting bad kids and not in actually teaching them what they're in school to learn.

FOLKS!  WE HAVE A WINNER!!

The best part... this screws the teachers more than anything, AND what party do the teacher's union support?  LOL.  And they're supposed to be "educated". :dunno:

27 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The best part... this screws the teachers more than anything, AND what party do the teacher's union support?  LOL.  And they're supposed to be "educated". :dunno:

That’s really the important angle here.

23 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Thanks Obama. 

On 4/25/2019 at 12:23 PM, bandrus1 said:

Age old wisdom is you don't store bad apples with good ones. :dunno:

The school should have a special soundproofed room with no windows. The willfully defiant get to spend a couple hours in there with Tyreek Hill. That will change their attitude.  The Tyreek treatment is age appropriate all the way down to pre-K, so easy peasy. 

13 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Age old wisdom is you don't store bad apples with good ones. :dunno:

Yeah, that went out the window the minute parents of retards, immigrants and cripples started complaining that their kids should be in the same classroom as normal people.

8 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Yeah, that went out the window the minute parents of retards, immigrants and cripples started complaining that their kids should be in the same classroom as normal people.

None of those are bad apples. But I agree that it opened the door to equating miscreants to those with special needs. No one wants to feel like a bad parent.