The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - QB Daniel Jones, Giants

Daniel Jones Write-Up

Teams often try to hit doubles instead of homers at the top of the draft, and this pick has that kind of feel. I mentioned in my draft write-ups of Jones that he might be the most "safe" pick at his position, but it's hard to defend that kind of selection when many of his weaknesses - such as questionable arm strength - don't figure to play well late in the season, although it may not matter if the Giants keep loading up on slot options such as Sterling Shepard and Golden Tate. GM Dave Gettleman is big on drafting players with college track records and stated earlier recently that it takes a different type of quarterback to play in New York due to the adversity that comes with playing in the city. The Duke standout dealt with his fair share of adversity on the field in college playing a poor offensive line and watching his pass-catchers drop 9.2 percent of his throws last season. Legendary personnel evaluator and SiriusXM NFL Radio analyst Gil Brandt recently made some waves when he not only stated how much he loved Jones as a prospect, although he is more Eli than Peyton. Jones will sit for the majority of 2019 as Eli plays out the final year of his contract, but it's hard to like him even as a dynasty option in what figures to be a run-based offense minus Odell Beckham Jr.

1 hour ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

The pick mocked round the world. 

Not happy but hope to be proven wrong. 

couple of points to at least make sense of this pick.

1. The NFL talent evaluators are reportedly higher on Jones than Haskins or Lock compared to the Media Evaluators who Like Haskins and mostly had Jones ranked 4th. This would push the perception that Jones was a "reach", and Haskins was a "steal". I trust the NFL people more than the Media.

2. Daniel Snyder wanted Haskins, his football people wanted Jones. Nuff said...

3. Its just one Evaluator, but Gil Brandt is one of the most respected in the biz, and he compared Jones to Peyton....

4. I watched several Duke games last year, and while Jones' throwing prowess left something to be desired, his athleticism and running ability was excellent.

5. Do you really think the Giants were going to pass on a 6'5 QB who can move, got a full scholarship to Princeton, and Aced the Wonderlic?

I just wonder if there was a way to trade down from 6 or up from 17. This is more palatable in the 10-15th range of picks.

Isn't Allen supposed to be very good? Take Allen and trade up from 17 to get Jones 

I am not too angry because I understand that Jones may have been their guy and they did not want to risk him being taken. Just doesn't seem a value pick based on the limited information we (the public) have. 

Yeah, agree with that. The Giants were obviously worried a team or teams would snag Jones before they could get him. I wanted Josh Allen, and it seems like the majority of Giants fans did too. The trade up for deandre baker at the end of rd 1 left me feeling a bit better about the Giants Haul. Dexter and Baker will make that D much better day 1. The part that has me worried is putting all your stock in Markus Golden and Lorenzo Carter to provide a viable pass rush off the edge. I give the Giants a grade of B for Round 1, but it certainly feels like it could have been better.

2 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

I want to see how this guy turns out. Beal is a bit forgotten but he was projected as a 1st-2nd round pick we sacrificed this year's 3rd round pick for. 

https://www.giants.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-cb-sam-beal

so do the Giants. Nothing worse than spending a valuable pick on a player and having him get injured right before the season. I think Baker was more about Jenkins than Beal.

5 hours ago, jrokh said:

couple of points to at least make sense of this pick.

1. The NFL talent evaluators are reportedly higher on Jones than Haskins or Lock compared to the Media Evaluators who Like Haskins and mostly had Jones ranked 4th. This would push the perception that Jones was a "reach", and Haskins was a "steal". I trust the NFL people more than the Media.

2. Daniel Snyder wanted Haskins, his football people wanted Jones. Nuff said...

3. Its just one Evaluator, but Gil Brandt is one of the most respected in the biz, and he compared Jones to Peyton....

4. I watched several Duke games last year, and while Jones' throwing prowess left something to be desired, his athleticism and running ability was excellent.

5. Do you really think the Giants were going to pass on a 6'5 QB who can move, got a full scholarship to Princeton, and Aced the Wonderlic?

I think hes better than advertised.

but I also think if wanting to pick this guy,  the smart move would have been to trade down 3 or 4 slots and select him there..

that being said, maybe they tried and there were no buyers to make that deal.

14 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I think hes better than advertised.

but I also think if wanting to pick this guy,  the smart move would have been to trade down 3 or 4 slots and select him there..

that being said, maybe they tried and there were no buyers to make that deal.

Agreed, the Criticism of the pick shouldn't be Haskins over Jones, it should be they could've had Josh Allen and Jones. The only point on that is the Jets, Raiders, and Bucs also passed on Allen, so maybe he isn't as good as everyone thinks. I didn't watch many Kentucky games, so don't really know. I still would have gone in this direction regardless.

I've been doing some YouTube research on Jones, and found this good collection of highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzIjPdeRHk

Wow - he is quick for a 6'5" QB!  Would be nice to have a QB with "some" rush attack to him.  Several examples of terrific red-zone passes / over the shoulder / in the bread-basket.  And, several examples of very good intermediate range throws.  A couple of "bullets."

YouTube also has some analysis videos.  The highlights include very few down field throws.  I read this numerous places, that the Duke WRs routinely dropped catchable long passes - and the analysis videos show this.  The videos also comment on Jones' last home game, getting blown out 59-7 by Wake Forest..

*My opinion* - I'm in agreement with the trend of the post, that I think the G-Men should have taken Allen at 1.06, and then done a trade with GB to get in front of MIA to get Jones there.  Not sure about the draft capital it would have taken.  The consensus is that Jones protects the football, will not throw a lot of INTs / lose games.  Being taken at 1.06, that better be the case.

1 hour ago, Bills04 said:

I've been doing some YouTube research on Jones, and found this good collection of highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzIjPdeRHk

Wow - he is quick for a 6'5" QB!  Would be nice to have a QB with "some" rush attack to him.  Several examples of terrific red-zone passes / over the shoulder / in the bread-basket.  And, several examples of very good intermediate range throws.  A couple of "bullets."

YouTube also has some analysis videos.  The highlights include very few down field throws.  I read this numerous places, that the Duke WRs routinely dropped catchable long passes - and the analysis videos show this.  The videos also comment on Jones' last home game, getting blown out 59-7 by Wake Forest..

*My opinion* - I'm in agreement with the trend of the post, that I think the G-Men should have taken Allen at 1.06, and then done a trade with GB to get in front of MIA to get Jones there.  Not sure about the draft capital it would have taken.  The consensus is that Jones protects the football, will not throw a lot of INTs / lose games.  Being taken at 1.06, that better be the case.

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports the Broncos and Redskins would have drafted Daniel Jones before the Giants' pick at No. 17 had the G-Men not taken Jones at No. 6.

This reporter was pretty dialed in before the draft so I have no reason not to trust his sources. It is very likely the Giants had to choose between Jones and Allen, and would not have gotten both. Even if they could have that would likely have meant no Dexter Lawrence and Deandre Baker. All that matters is if the kid can play anyway then no one will care where he got picked. Cool that you watched the tape, when I watched him play this year his rushing ability reminded me of Josh Allen when he surprised a lot of people with how good a runner he was. 

Nice job by the Bills, they had a pretty good draft!

3 hours ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

One of the Giants picks was shot last night. Seems like he’ll be OK but his friend passed away 

Never thought I would say this, but he's from my alma mater. Yes, it sounds like he's going to be fine.