Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - QB Dwayne Haskins, Redskins

Dwayne Haskins Write-Up

Oh, the irony. The kid who grew up a Giants' fan will get multiple shots at proving why he should have been the choice over Daniel Jones. Haskins was a one-year starter at Ohio State, but what a year it was (4,831 yards and 50 touchdowns). The Maryland native born in New Jersey may be the draft's top pocket passer, and he addresses what has quickly become a problem area for the Redskins following the potential career-ending knee injury to Alex Smith. Haskins' accuracy in the short and intermediate areas is what made him so successful with the Buckeyes in 2018. He doesn't put near enough air under his deep ball, but that flaw should be minimized playing in HC Jay Gruden's offense. My comparisons for him were Jameis Winston and Teddy Bridgewater, and he was my second-ranked quarterback despite having only one year of experience. Given the current depth chart in Washington (Smith, Case Keenum and an injured Colt McCoy), Haskins has a realistic shot of starting the season opener. The problem is his supporting cast: Jordan Reed, Trey Quinn, Paul Richardson and Josh Doctson are unlikely to keep defensive coordinators awake at night. As such, he will most likely be a low-end QB2/bye-week filler option at best in 2019.

Best QB in this draft.  Redskins fans are going to love this pick for the next decade and half... possibly more.

I'm not going to pretend that I know what kind of player this kid will turn out to be, in reality its partly a crapshoot. However, If the reporting is accurate and The Skins' football people liked Jones and Daniel Snyder wanted Haskins, combined with the Giants, Broncos, Bengals, and Dolphins all passing on him, would scare the bejessus out of me.

scouting report on him looked great.

the only knock is that he was not a 3 or 4 year starter, but then again, neither were most of the other QB's taken in round 1.

I think the fact they didnt have to trade up to get him should be considered a win for the team.

A steal on paper. Time will tell.  His biggest detractors to scouts is he cannot be categorized.  Black pocket passer, good size but not huge, immobile as a statue, relies on reads and accuracy.  Dan Marino had very similar physical skills and dropped like a rock in the draft, Kurt Warner went undrafted. 

Have the Washington Media expanded on the reports there was a divide between the Front Office/Snyder and the Coaches and scouts, who were split on Jones/Haskins? Just curious, I love finding out the info after the fact, thanks.

7 hours ago, jrokh said:

Have the Washington Media expanded on the reports there was a divide between the Front Office/Snyder and the Coaches and scouts, who were split on Jones/Haskins? Just curious, I love finding out the info after the fact, thanks.

There has been loose talk that predraft, Gruden preferred Jones over Haskins.  Ultimately the Giants took Jones and everything solved itself. Not really much there.

Yeah it didn't look like Haskins was very happy at the draft when Washington picked him. His family is probably happy since they're  from around the D.C. area. Haskins really wanted to go to the Giants and they really burst his bubble when they took Jones. I'm sure he#s gonna play with a chip on his shoulder and he!s gonna love playing the.Giants twice a year but I don' think he's a real happy camper about his landing spot. We'll see how he.handles it.

I think he's fine with his landing spot, but I don't think he was a fan sliding down in the draft, and maybe that's what you saw.  He grew up in the area and I believe went to school with Snyder's kids, so I'd be surprised if he really hated playing in D.C.

As far as him as a player, I think he showed a lot promise and out side of his mobility, I'm sure not there is an aspect that is truly awful or doesn't at least show glimpses of being capable. In the end QB is such a crap shoot. It has as much to do with the coaching staff and system as it does the QB. Hopefully after Jones came off the board, and their pick came up, the coaching staff was fine with taking Haskins. If they weren't, it's a situation that will be doomed from the start. Coaches have to completely believe that a QB can run their system. 

I agree with Brutus.  I think hes more choked at sliding in the draft.  it cost him money and maybe hurt the ego just a bit.

Personally I think the hurt ego is maybe the best thing for him.   I truly believe that some players read all the good press and think they are better than they actually are.  so this scenario actually gives him a better chance at success because he may work that much harder to become the player he was supposed to be.

As for the mobility thing,  its overrated.   While a mobile QB forces a Defense to do things differently, those types of QB's seem to have shorter careers. (likely due to the extra hits they take playing this style)

I think his chances of success are about the same as any first round QB.   The scouting report says a lot of good things.  At this point its mostly a matter of waiting to see how quickly he picks up the offense.

As for the comment about coaches believing a QB needs to be able to run their system, Id say that's true to a certain extent.    I think a coach also needs to be willing to adjust the system and insert certain plays to maximize the talents of the QB he has.    

In Today's NFL, If you just try to make a player fit the system, that can sometimes be a recipe for failure.  you need to be willing to adjust the system to fit the talent available.  If the talent does not exist to do things a certain way, you need to find another way to get the job done.   This often means adjusting your scheme to give your players their best chance at success.

I dont trust anything the redakins do.  So I am expecting him to not be good.  

23 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

well, there is no question managment (and ownership) is a bit of a dumpster fire.  That is always a possibility.    but top talent usually does well despite these factors.   There are always exceptions in cases where the disfunction is exceptionally bad, but I think its a good rule to live by.

Bottom line:  Either you believe in Haskins or you dont.

According to mfl adp for rookie drafts, Haskins is going 13 picks after Murray on average. That is really surprising to me considering how many people really like Haskins potential. 

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

According to mfl adp for rookie drafts, Haskins is going 13 picks after Murray on average. That is really surprising to me considering how many people really like Haskins potential. 

Not really.  Murray's running upside is that high.  And Haskins' is that low.  

Josh Allen was relevant because of running.  

Then add the fact that it is an air raid offense and not the Redskins.  

Murray's fantasy potential is so much higher.  

Ff wise Murray should be going much higher, he can pass and run, neither of them play on good teams, and I would expect for both of the teams they play on to be bad this next season. 

Now if where talking about playing in the NFL, Haskins futures think is much better. 

I don’t see how Murray will be able to stay healthy. 

I think Haskins will be the better nfl player, if the Redskins build around him.  

21 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Not really.  Murray's running upside is that high.  And Haskins' is that low.  

Josh Allen was relevant because of running.  

Then add the fact that it is an air raid offense and not the Redskins.  

Murray's fantasy potential is so much higher.  

This

Running QB's are fantasy gold.

Remember Tim Teebow?    Terrible QB, but his rushing yards made him a good QB for fantasy.   This has nothing to do with skill its about playing style.

19 hours ago, weepaws said:

I don’t see how Murray will be able to stay healthy. 

Russ Wilson has.  Or will the 1 inch and a few lbs be the reason why Murray cant do what he had done?

I think Murray has much more potential in real football as well.   Especially if Kliffs system works in the pros.

That’s where we would disagree, I Don’t see Murray posted number like Wilson.  

Just don’t feel like he will mature in the passing game like Wilson has.  

And yeah his smaller size does work against him.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

That’s where we would disagree, I Don’t see Murray posted number like Wilson.  

Just don’t feel like he will mature in the passing game like Wilson has.  

And yeah his smaller size does work against him.  

You said you didnt like his NFL prospects a lot because you didnt know how he would stay healthy.

My question is what makes you say that?  

I think running has more to do with injury than size.  He will just have to run smart....like Wilson.

Not saying he will be a 1st ballot HOFer or not.  I posted in relation to Haskins.  I think Murray has much more upside and skill than Haskins.  Murray throws a good ball and has an above average arm.  It isnt like he is some 1 trick pony.  

Passing game, I don’t think Murray will develop into a good passing Qb. 

Since you keep bringing up Wilson. 

Wilson has developed a very good passing game in the nfl.  

I don’t Murray will, I think he and Allen and Jackson, I see clumped together, if they don’t develop a good passing game, then they will need to be successful by running the ball, and in the nfl that doesn’t sustain any kind of longevity.  Those rushing yards for ff are great.  Actually think they should have kept Rosen.  

And that’s the way I feel about Murray.

I hope that helps.  

Thanks. 

He is a player that is tough to be aure of because he only had 1 year in college and it was in that system that Baker had.

But going on last years play he showed many good passing traits.  Nice touch.  Quick release.  Ability to have more than 1 or 2 reads.  A good arm.  

I think he is way ahead of Allen and Lamar Jackson coming into the league in the passing game.

A lot will depend if he puts in the work like an elite level QB.   Otherwise I see a true duel threat.   Much more so than most "fast" QBs coming out of college.  

I'll say this: Would you rather throw to Jordan Reed, Josh Doctson, Paul Richardson and a Rookie Terry McLaurin

or Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk, and Rookies Andy Isabella, and Hakeem Butler. Haskins is going to have a lot of issues once Jordan Reed inevitably gets hurt. 

No question, when it comes to ff Murray should be drafted ahead of Haskins. 

Hes going to a much better situation, with a lot more upside to help him, and don’t forget about DJ and Edmonds to boot. 

On 4/26/2019 at 10:28 AM, jrokh said:

I'm not going to pretend that I know what kind of player this kid will turn out to be, in reality its partly a crapshoot. However, If the reporting is accurate and The Skins' football people liked Jones and Daniel Snyder wanted Haskins, combined with the Giants, Broncos, Bengals, and Dolphins all passing on him, would scare the bejessus out of me.

Only the Giants passed on him.  Those other teams all addressed their QB situation prior to the draft and the Bengals don't need a QB.  

On 5/21/2019 at 12:18 PM, listen2me 23 said:

The skins acquired Alex Smith and that looked like a great move since he just kept on winning games.  Freak injury can't be projected. 

The AP move was also good.  The skins moves have been fine recently.  Just plagued by injury. 

6 hours ago, Kent said:

Only the Giants passed on him.  Those other teams all addressed their QB situation prior to the draft and the Bengals don't need a QB.  

If that were the case then why did the Broncos Draft Lock, The Fins trade for Rosen, and the Bengals draft Ryan Finley. All those teams could have drafted Haskins. Look if your happy with him, that's what matters. The Giants took it on the chin in the media for Daniel Jones and then some. I just thought Skins fans were especially wary of Snyder getting involved in personnel matters. 

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

If that were the case then why did the Broncos Draft Lock, The Fins trade for Rosen, and the Bengals draft Ryan Finley. All those teams could have drafted Haskins. Look if your happy with him, that's what matters. The Giants took it on the chin in the media for Daniel Jones and then some. I just thought Skins fans were especially wary of Snyder getting involved in personnel matters. 

The Broncos took Lock in the second. And they acquired Flacco.  They didn’t pass on Haskins.  The Fins took Rosen who was a top 6 pick the year before.  The Bengals have a QB already.  I don’t understand your point. Those teams didn’t “pass on Haskins.”   I don’t know what Haskins is gonna do.  But to imply he’s suspect because those teams passed on him is wholly inaccurate. He may be suspect for other reasons.  But surely not that. 

No worries, it's all good. I'm sure Snyder knows what he's doing...

20 hours ago, Kent said:

The skins acquired Alex Smith and that looked like a great move since he just kept on winning games.  Freak injury can't be projected. 

The AP move was also good.  The skins moves have been fine recently.  Just plagued by injury. 

They still traditionally are a mess.  An AP signing doesnt change my mind.  

Haskins may or may not be good.  He got a bad pull by being selected by that franchise.

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

They still traditionally are a mess.  An AP signing doesnt change my mind.  

Haskins may or may not be good.  He got a bad pull by being selected by that franchise.

I’m old. The mess isn’t tradition.  That’s reserved for franchises like the Jets and Lions and Browns.  The Skins still win the NFC East from time to time.  They won the Division in 2012 and 2015.

Last year we were rolling and Smith broke his leg in half.  

It’s been bad in terms of playoffs but pump the breaks on saying the Skins are now just some brown bag franchise.  Then Again, I’ve been to the Skins super bowl parades.  

Seems to me that the stigma is more around Snyder and his meddling than it is about the history of the Redskins organization. Some owners just have a hard time letting the people they hire do their jobs. Some owners don't like to admit that they aren't an expert at something, and at times the organization and fan base pay the price for an over stepping owner. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brutal Brutus said:

Seems to me that the stigma is more around Snyder and his meddling than it is about the history of the Redskins organization. Some owners just have a hard time letting the people they hire do their jobs. Some owners don't like to admit that they aren't an expert at something, and at times the organization and fan base pay the price for an over stepping owner. 

Exactly. Snyder is pond scum.  Awful human being. Sociopath.  The entire fan base hates him. 

Some part of me feels like he’s cursed the franchise.  He’s pure garbage. 

Am I being too subtle?

15 hours ago, Kent said:

Exactly. Snyder is pond scum.  Awful human being. Sociopath.  The entire fan base hates him. 

Some part of me feels like he’s cursed the franchise.  He’s pure garbage. 

Am I being too subtle?

I was talking more about Snyder era.  Traditionally over the last 2 decades they have been a very poorly ran franchise.

From signing Haynesworth.  To trading all that for RG3.  The years in the 2000s where they totally didnt care about draft picks and always traded them away.  

Since 1993.  

The Redskins have had 8 winning seasons and 5 playoff appearance. 

The Lions have had 9 winning seasons and 8 playoff appearance. 

The Jets have had 11 winning seasons and 7 playoff appearance. 

The Browns just stink. 

So I would agree traditionally since 1993 the Redskins have been awfull. 

Sure but the RedSkins were a dynastic prior to 1993. 

Have the words Lions and Dynasty ever been used together?

The Snyder era is a mess.  Plain to see  

1993 JKC was going into his crazy period and downward spiral.  That took 6 seasons before Danny took over.  Skins have been terrible and horribly unlucky.  A bad combo.  George Allen has put together several good drafts and they are competitive in a weak division.  Gruden is average at best.