Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

RIP John Havlicek

Every time I hear this dudes name I think of the worst homer announcer ever rasping into a microphone

Another Boston overrated white guy

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, edjr said:

Another Boston overrated white guy

Says the most overrated white guy in all of Mass.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

What has anyone ever claimed I was good at?  :dunno:

I got into watching sports when I was a little tyke around 1970. Growing up in Boston three of the teams had a definite leader/star who became my hero's:

Boston Bruins: Bobby Orr 

Boston Celtics: John Havlicek

Boston Red Sox: Yaz

(The best the Pats had at the time was Plunkett but he was always getting hurt because they suxed.) 

With the exception of  Bobby Orr playing 26 games for Chicago, the three played their entire careers for Boston and they were all perennial All -Stars and perennial MVP candidates. Even with Bobby Orr's shortened 9 year career, the three combined for 40 All Star Games. 

Hondo was a great clutch shooter and defender who averaged 20 points a game but easily could have averaged a lot more if he was concerned with his stats. A class guy who was loved in Boston. RIP Hondo!

the '76 NBA Finals vs Phoenix was such a classic ... but it won't be celebrated as much, seeing as how the big guns for the Suns were Adams and Westfall and one of the Van Arsdales ... and the Celts had Cowens and Hondo and Nelson.

sure there was Gar Heard, and Silas and JoJo ... but the big guns all lacked a "tan", so to speak. 

believe there was a triple overtime game in Phoenix ... Hondo was outta his mind in that one, playing like a guy who was 10 years younger.  

a class act all rhe way, and a reminder of when the NBA was actually a watchable commodity.  

R.I.P.

1 minute ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

the '76 NBA Finals vs Phoenix was such a classic ... but it won't be celebrated as much, seeing as how the big guns for the Suns were Adams and Westfall and one of the Van Arsdales ... and the Celts had Cowens and Hondo and Nelson.

sure there was Gar Heard, and Silas and JoJo ... but the big guns all lacked a "tan", so to speak. 

believe there was a triple overtime game in Phoenix ... Hondo was outta his mind in that one, playing like a guy who was 10 years younger.  

a class act all rhe way, and a reminder of when the NBA was actually a watchable commodity.  

R.I.P.

I was 3, 

23 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Don't you have to be rated to be overrated? I mean, it's kind of like public Access television. You're not going to even find him in the Nielsen ratings.

19 minutes ago, edjr said:

Post padding

Post counting

Post reporting

15 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

R.I.P.

I remember that series.

JoJo White was a black point guard for that team. 

You cant make this stuff up.  

29 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

R.I.P.

I remember that 76 game like it was yesterday. End of the 2nd overtime was unbelievable. Celts were up by 3 with like 10 seconds left (no 3 point shot back then). Phoenix gets a basket then westfall steals the inbound pass and phoenix gets a basket to go up by one with like  4 seconds left. Hondo takes the ball coast to coast and scores with 1 second left to put the Celtics up by 1(no tenths on the clock back then). The Celtics race to the locker room with the crowd flowing onto the court thinking they won. They bring the team back on the court and Phoenix has the ball down by one under their own basket with no timeouts. They call a timeout so they can advance the ball to half court and they get a technical foul for calling a timeout when they have none. Boston sinks the technical and then Phoenix has the ball at half court down by 2. They pass the ball in and someone (i think it was Alvin Adams) hits a quick jumper and ties the game with nothing on the clock. Celts win in the third overtime led by hardly used Glen McDonald who was playing because so many guys had fouled out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mighty_thor said:

I remember that 76 game like it was yesterday. End of the 2nd overtime was unbelievable. Celts were up by 3 with like 10 seconds left (no 3 point shot back then). Phoenix gets a basket then westfall steals the inbound pass and phoenix gets a basket to go up by one with like  4 seconds left. Hondo takes the ball coast to coast and scores with 1 second left to put the Celtics up by 1(no tenths on the clock back then). The Celtics race to the locker room with the crowd flowing onto the court thinking they won. They bring the team back on the court and Phoenix has the ball down by one under their own basket with no timeouts. They call a timeout so they can advance the ball to half court and they get a technical foul for calling a timeout when they have none. Boston sinks the technical and then Phoenix has the ball at half court down by 2. They pass the ball in and someone (i think it was Alvin Adams) hits a quick jumper and ties the game with nothing on the clock. Celts win in the third overtime led by hardly used Glen McDonald who was playing because so many guys had fouled out. 

:pointstosky:

damn fine recollection outta you, as exciting to read all these years later as it was to watch as an 8 yr old - maybe even moreso now because of the fockin' cesspool the league has become. 

thanks for that post!

1 hour ago, mighty_thor said:

A fan punched one of the refs, I believe after the 2nd OT.

6 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

A fan punched one of the refs, I believe after the 2nd OT.

awwwww, hell yeah ... forgot about that - fockin' savage :music_guitarred:

and i believe it was Gar Heard who hit that last second shot for Phoenix - though Alvan Adams very well may have been the guy :dunno:

1 hour ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

awwwww, hell yeah ... forgot about that - fockin' savage :music_guitarred:

and i believe it was Gar Heard who hit that last second shot for Phoenix - though Alvan Adams very well may have been the guy :dunno:

Yeah, it was Gar Heard. The ref was Richie Powers. I don't know the fan's name, but he was arrested.

4 hours ago, edjr said:

Letting ghey guys get bet up outside of your bar?  :dunno: