Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Josh Jacobs, Raiders

Josh Jacobs Profile

It was long believed Jacobs was destined for Oakland, something that appeared to become more of a certainty when Marshawn Lynch decided he wasn't going to play in 2019. Although he was stuck in a timeshare at Alabama and topped 15 touches only three times in 40 games (251 career carries, 48 receptions), Jacobs proved he was a complete back down the stretch in 2018, showing the ability to line up all over the field and pound the rock in between the tackles. The top concerns most evaluators seem to have with him are the fact he never has proven he can carry the load and injury history, but the tape is so good with him that it would be ridiculous to pass on him because of that. While Jalen Richard will likely steal some touches from him, Jacobs profiles as a young Frank Gore who doesn't need to come off the field. The combination of talent and landing spot makes him the best bet of anyone in this draft class to produce right away. Redraft owners would be justified taking him as early as the late part of the second round this spring and summer. Jacobs is easily in the running to be considered the top overall pick in rookie drafts as well.

23 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Am I the only one who thinks this NFL draft is really void of good fantasy talent?

Nope. I think this is a weak class in general. There's aren't any really impressive studs at the three main skill positions (QB, RB, WR) but there will be some fantasy goodness come out of this class … Jacobs being the most obvious right now.

30 minutes ago, Brutal Brutus said:

Never trust an Alabama RB. 

Yeah idk that Jacobs was the best rb on that team. He had one 100 yard rushing game in his entire career. Maybe he was underutilized? He just didn't have the production for me to think he is a hands down first round player.

Great landing spot for him, if he stays healthy he could be a rb2 on this team in a non ppr league.  

He should be much better then Crowell and Richard.  

All the pressure is now on D Carr, he has WRs and a rb1 on his team, now he needs to perform on a higher level. 

Should be interesting.  

6 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Nope. I think this is a weak class in general. There's aren't any really impressive studs at the three main skill positions (QB, RB, WR) but there will be some fantasy goodness come out of this class … Jacobs being the most obvious right now.

you can tell.   teams went off the board reasonably early and often.   Thats a sign that the top talent isnt that far off of the middling talent.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Great landing spot for him, if he stays healthy he could be a rb2 on this team in a non ppr league.  

He should be much better then Crowell and Richard.  

All the pressure is now on D Carr, he has WRs and a rb1 on his team, now he needs to perform on a higher level. 

Should be interesting.  

I agree, this is one of the best of the possible landing spots for him.   If he has a good camp, he could easily start week 1 and put up some decent numbers right out of the gate.

yep time to get on the Jacobs train.   All aboard!

On 4/25/2019 at 10:07 PM, The Football Guru said:

Josh Jacobs Profile

It was long believed Jacobs was destined for Oakland, something that appeared to become more of a certainty when Marshawn Lynch decided he wasn't going to play in 2019. Although he was stuck in a timeshare at Alabama and topped 15 touches only three times in 40 games (251 career carries, 48 receptions), Jacobs proved he was a complete back down the stretch in 2018, showing the ability to line up all over the field and pound the rock in between the tackles. The top concerns most evaluators seem to have with him are the fact he never has proven he can carry the load and injury history, but the tape is so good with him that it would be ridiculous to pass on him because of that. While Jalen Richard will likely steal some touches from him, Jacobs profiles as a young Frank Gore who doesn't need to come off the field. The combination of talent and landing spot makes him the best bet of anyone in this draft class to produce right away. Redraft owners would be justified taking him as early as the late part of the second round this spring and summer. Jacobs is easily in the running to be considered the top overall pick in rookie drafts as well.

Personally not sure about drafting an RB that early. I was thinking about Miles Sanders with a third rounder, but the plan to trade back and pick up extra picks fell through. All academic as Sanders went early anyway. Moot point as well, Gruden fell in love with Jacobs at the Senior Bowl and was the driving reason behind that pick (as well as the safety Abram at 27.)

Critical thing to remember with Jacobs is he's hands down the most ferocious blocking back in the draft. More downfield than pass pro, but this is easily fixable. Also has great hands. Not thrilled with his 4.60ish Forty time but he moves well for a big man. At 220 he's a load.

He'll be heavily involved in the passing game, it's huge to have that option with your early down back. Less predictable. Anyone who recalls Gruden's first stint in Oakland think of Charlie Garner, because I see JJ in that role with some short yardage stuff mixed in. 

Someone said it best, Carr is on the hotseat. In fact, seriously, it is a one year prove it deal with our QB as he can be let go with minimal cap damage in 2020. 

The pick up of D Martin was a interesting move as it pertains to ff. 

I would rather have seen Richard the lead rb2, I think Martin’s return hurts just a little bit. 

12 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I would rather have seen Richard the lead rb2, I think Martin’s return hurts just a little bit. 

Martin may also just be a camp body

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

a lot of people (myself included) are of the mind you dont just give a job to someone, you make them earn it.

Martin is at least good enough to do that.   After all, if he cannot beat him out for the starting job, I'd question if hes truly a starter to begin with.

Jacobs will be the Raiders rb1. 

But based on non ppr, Richard is a threat to a rookie like Jacobs in the passing game, and even though I don’t think Martin can beat out Jacobs as the Raiders rb1, he Martin is good enough to steal work in the rushing game, and that’s a concern based me playing in a non ppr.  

23 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Jacobs will be the Raiders rb1. 

But based on non ppr, Richard is a threat to a rookie like Jacobs in the passing game, and even though I don’t think Martin can beat out Jacobs as the Raiders rb1, he Martin is good enough to steal work in the rushing game, and that’s a concern based me playing in a non ppr.  

Actually Jacobs looks to be a pretty good receiver himself, so idk why he would lose much receiving work

I agree, he can catch and he’s very good at it. 

But there is more to just being able to catch when it comes to the passing game, expecally in the nfl. 

And as a rookie he might be limited in that faze of the game early on, and Richard seems to be a lock in that role.  

But he is very good at catching the ball. 

So my concern is in a non ppr.  

Are the Raiders going to be able to commit to the run?   The defense is eh.  I expect them to be trailing their fair share of games.  Not great for Jacobs. 

17 hours ago, Kent said:

Are the Raiders going to be able to commit to the run?   The defense is eh.  I expect them to be trailing their fair share of games.  Not great for Jacobs. 

I think he is one of the more natural receiving rbs to come out. I think his pass catching is underrated

4 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I think he is one of the more natural receiving rbs to come out. I think his pass catching is underrated

MAybe but won’t they use Richard?

Yes, yes they will use Richard in the passing game.  

5 hours ago, Kent said:

MAybe but won’t they use Richard?

I really have no clue how the situation will play out. Why draft a rb in the first who is an excellent pass catcher to use someone else more? 

They won’t use Richard more then Jacobs, but he will be used a lot in the passing game. 

I don’t expect for Richard to see the same target total has last seasons ,but he will still se his share of them. 

I do not like Carr. I do not like Gruden, his grimacing and bad play calling is just yuck. Somehow the 2 will screw the Raiders once again. Part of ff is enjoying the games. I hate watching those 2. With that said, I do like Jacobs this year. AB will get respect, so Jacobs should have some open lanes. If their D can keep them competitive he should end up top 10.

I offered Doug Martin and Delanie Walker for the 3.1 rookie pick in a Dyno.

Obviously the guy has the first pick. I assume he's going Jacobs here. Plus he needs a TE. I'm hoping he bites. Because those 2 would be my drops to get to draft rostering status.

I'm assuming anyone who's all in on Jacobs would want Martin as a handcuff?

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

I offered Doug Martin and Delanie Walker for the 3.1 rookie pick in a Dyno.

Obviously the guy has the first pick. I assume he's going Jacobs here. Plus he needs a TE. I'm hoping he bites. Because those 2 would be my drops to get to draft rostering status.

I'm assuming anyone who's all in on Jacobs would want Martin as a handcuff?

I would absolutely not. I would much rather have Chris Warren

17 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I would absolutely not. I would much rather have Chris Warren

Really? I thought the bloom was off the rose with Warren, because of the Jacobs pick.

Then, the second Crowell went down. Garden ran to the phone to get Martin back.

27 minutes ago, Kopy said:

Really? I thought the bloom was off the rose with Warren, because of the Jacobs pick.

Then, the second Crowell went down. Garden ran to the phone to get Martin back.

Well Warren is no guarantee and coming off of an injury. It's just camp so they need some veteran presence there. In dynasty though, I would rather have Warren. I am not wasting a spot on Martin unless rosters are huge

Handcuffing Jacobs would be pointless to me. If he goes down, I can't see starting any of those guys as anything but a desperation play. 

Chris Warren was released.  If there is a cuff for Jacobs it would be Doug Martin.

I wouldn't pay a 3rd for Martin/Walker, but he might.

1 hour ago, ralphster said:

Chris Warren was released.  If there is a cuff for Jacobs it would be Doug Martin.

I wouldn't pay a 3rd for Martin/Walker, but he might.

Yeah that's disappointing. He has raw talent, but his dedication just isn't there. I would not pay anything for a pretty weak handcuff