Sign in to follow this  
iam90sbaby

Florida Senate passes bill to arm teachers

They aren’t monkeying around that’s for sure 

The 53-page bill, which passed by a 22-17margin, now goes to the Florida House of Representatives, the newspaper reported. It passed with a clause that included an expansion of the “Guardian” program created in 2018, the Tampa Bay Times reported. The program allows teachers to carry guns after completing psychological screening and at least 144 hours training from a sheriff’s office, according to the Sun-Sentinel.

The bill includes other items aimed at beefing up school safety, including more reporting of school safety incidents, a standardized risk assessment process for dangerous students and brand-new guidelines on school-based mental health, the newspaper reported.

https://www.fox23.com/news/trending-now/florida-senate-passes-bill-to-arm-teachers/942724902

8 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

They aren’t monkeying around that’s for sure 

The 53-page bill, which passed by a 22-17margin, now goes to the Florida House of Representatives, the newspaper reported. It passed with a clause that included an expansion of the “Guardian” program created in 2018, the Tampa Bay Times reported. The program allows teachers to carry guns after completing psychological screening and at least 144 hours training from a sheriff’s office, according to the Sun-Sentinel.

The bill includes other items aimed at beefing up school safety, including more reporting of school safety incidents, a standardized risk assessment process for dangerous students and brand-new guidelines on school-based mental health, the newspaper reported.

https://www.fox23.com/news/trending-now/florida-senate-passes-bill-to-arm-teachers/942724902

That's 6 full days, I think that's more time than I spent studying my entire time in school.   :shocking:

(which probably doesn't surprise anybody here)

• Thanks 1

Not sure this is the best of ideas....

11 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

That's 6 full days, I think that's more time than I spent studying my entire time in school.   :shocking:

This is silly. How many days do you think you need?

I’m assuming this is a response to school shootings. What are the odds that an armed teacher is able to successfully stop an active shooting, vs. the chance that introducing a gun to the school leads to an accident? 

9 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

This is silly. How many days do you think you need?

Not that I'm pro-arming teachers and having guns in schools, but 8 hours training for a week is 40 hours is probably way more than enough training + passing some kind of competency test.  Maybe 8 hour refresher re-certification every other year.  

At 144 hours, assuming 8 hour days-that's 18 days of training, that's would get pretty costly.

11 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m assuming this is a response to school shootings. What are the odds that an armed teacher is able to successfully stop an active shooting, vs. the chance that introducing a gun to the school leads to an accident? 

I've addressed this in the past.  There are actually school districts already doing this.  Feel free to search for my previous posts on this question.  In short, it's worked very well. 

25 minutes ago, Strike said:

I've addressed this in the past.  There are actually school districts already doing this.  Feel free to search for my previous posts on this question.  In short, it's worked very well. 

I am not going to dig around looking for your thoughts on arming teachers.

I’m not necessarily against teachers who already have a concealed carry permit carrying on school grounds. The idea of encouraging teachers to get CC training specifically to stop school shootings is focking retarded.

14 minutes ago, MDC said:

I am not going to dig around looking for your thoughts on arming teachers.

I’m not necessarily against teachers who already have a concealed carry permit carrying on school grounds. The idea of encouraging teachers to get CC training specifically to stop school shootings is focking retarded.

I didn't post thoughts on arming teachers.  I posted links to articles regarding school districts that already did so, and how they had fared in doing so.  But I'm sure things like "facts" get in the way of your narrative so I can see why you wouldn't want to read such data.

20 minutes ago, Strike said:

I didn't post thoughts on arming teachers.  I posted links to articles regarding school districts that already did so, and how they had fared in doing so.  But I'm sure things like "facts" get in the way of your narrative so I can see why you wouldn't want to read such data.

Gotta love I proved that once in a link somewhere, sometime on a board with a few million posts, go find it. 

For fun a I did a search for 'teachers AND guns" by author strike and came across found this exchange.   

On 3/13/2018 at 6:09 PM, Strike said:

All the school districts where teachers are already carrying guns disagree with you.

You people act like there aren't already teachers packing. There are. And everything I've read, some of which I've posted links to here, suggests it does in fact make the schools safer.

On 3/13/2018 at 6:15 PM, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Just provide those links and we can decide for ourselves. TIA

On 3/13/2018 at 6:16 PM, Strike said:

I already did. :dunno:

:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Strike said:

I’d be happy to read it if you want to take a break from being a little twat and post a link or something. But I’m not going to go digging through your archive to find it. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

And yet

Still illegal to CC in the meeting they had this vote in

Irony

I’m not seeing the irony? Can you link me to the article of one of these meetings getting shot up?

5 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

We are just impressed that you lasted six days in school, Mike. Props. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Why does Florida hire teachers with no arms? :wacko:

Somebody said: Who wants a job, and somebody raised their foot.

8 hours ago, MDC said:

Do you know that answer?

13 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Do you know that answer?

He is all knowing , just ask him 

3 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

:thumbsup:

I think we could save a lot of toner on our phones if we waited to have these threads until the actual law is passed.

Many cops shouldn't have guns. Now we want to give them to teachers? Count me out. 

8 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Do you know that answer?

7 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Um, I did. 🤔