Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Deebo Samuel, 49ers

Deebo Samuel Write-Up

Although he wasn't my highest-ranked receiver, Samuel may be my favorite in this draft class. He offers surprising speed (4.48) for a receiver who plays so much like a running back with the ball in his hands. Pro Football Focus charted Samuel with 21 broken tackles on his 62 catches, further proving he is a handful for defenders. In his last meaningful college game, he was arguably the best player on the field against eventual national champion Clemson, finishing with 10 catches for 210 yards and three touchdowns. In San Francisco, Samuel becomes the instant favorite to assume slot duties while presumed No. 1 receiver spends more time on the outside. Samuel is talented enough to eventually overtake Pettis as Jimmy Garoppolo's favorite wideout, but even if that doesn't happen, he projects as a long-term tag-team partner for last year's second-round pick. Owners probably need to value him as a WR5 for redraft purposes, although a strong training camp/preseason might bump him up a bit from that.

Pettis wasn’t Jimmy g favorite target last season, the production Pettis had was after Jimmy was out for the season.  

Samuel will be  easly Jimmy G favorite target.  

I don't think it's quite that easy. SF loves Pettis now and plans on featuring him, much like it did Goodwin last season. Pettis is better than Goodwin and a pretty good route-runner. I think Samuel can overtake him, but I don't think it's a given.

If Jimmy G stays healthy I think he'll lime the duo of Pettis & Samuel. I still think Kittle will be the top producer. At the end of the year I think Samuel will represent himself well with a pretty decent rookie year. So I don't think it's out of the question for him to post 600-800 yds with 6-7 tds.

I love this landing spot for him. 

After Jacobs of the Raiders I think it’s the next best.  

Samuel will be a good player.  Very safe pick with some upside.  Return ability as well.  

He was my 2nd or 3rd WR along with AJ Brown.  

Brown landing in a tough spot.  

Titans lack a passing game, and he will fight for targets with the likes of Davis, Walkeramd if not Walker, J Smith at te, D Lewis and Humphries the ex Bucs.  

I simply like Samules situation a lot better.  

On 5/18/2019 at 11:11 PM, weepaws said:

Brown landing in a tough spot.  

Titans lack a passing game, and he will fight for targets with the likes of Davis, Walkeramd if not Walker, J Smith at te, D Lewis and Humphries the ex Bucs.  

I simply like Samules situation a lot better.  

Generally my views are in the football sense.  Not fantasy.  I know its a fantasy board.  Im not ranking them fantasy wise.  

They were simply 2nd and 3rd on my board behind Hollywood going onto the draft.

Yes AJ Browns situation sucks.  Maybe they can land a good QB if they move on from Mariota.  

Wait.  You create a draft board as if you're a GM or something?  

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, nobody said:

Wait.  You create a draft board as if you're a GM or something?  

A simple ranking in my head.  Dont most people?  Especially if your team is in the market for the position

Sounding more and more like the Niners aren’t happy with the Pettis.  

D Samuel is going to be the wr to own on this Niners team.  

He’ll be second best option to Kittle. 

Thanks. 

57 minutes ago, AintNoStoppinMeNow said:

I'm starting to get Anquan Boldin rookie year vibes from this kid.

Didn't he have like 275 yards in his first game?  I could live with that.

10 hours ago, AintNoStoppinMeNow said:

I'm starting to get Anquan Boldin rookie year vibes from this kid.

In all four of my rookie Dynasty Drafts, Samuel went in the latter half of round one.  I was shocked as I have him ranked, because of his landing spot, as the best WR in this draft for fantasy purposes.  Henry & Metcalf went before him in each draft and in two, free agents already on the board were taken over him.  I got him twice at the 1.08 and once each at the 1.07 & 1.09.  With the 1.09, I had to give up my second and third as I traded up from the 1.12.  It's the happiest I have been with rookie drafts in a long time.  I think this kid is a stud and will be the 49'ers #1 guy by the end of this season, provided he can stay healthy. 

One 49er WR should breakout this season in that offense under Shanny with a healthy Jimmy G back. The question is who? 

-Goodwin has a history with the QB. Early camp reports also suggested he could be on the outs though I don't see that happening now. 

-Pettis was the 2nd round WR who broke out late last season but has been challenged by his head coach all off season and most recently played into the 4th quarter of a preseason game.

-Trent Taylor is the slot man and starting the year off injured. 

-Jalen Hurd, the other rookie WR they drafted, is an interesting project who was a college RB who converted to WR late in his college career.

What does this mean for Deebo? The #1 spot is there for the taking. He has a very similar build to Anquan Boldin and has even gone as far as comparing his game to Anquan Boldin and Golden Tate. Boldin walked into a similar WR situation in Arizona his rookie year posting 217 yards in his debut and finished the season with an insane 165 targets going over 1300 yards and adding 8 TD's. Obviously most rookie WR's struggle and Boldin's season is ever unlikely to be repeated. The point is the opportunity is there for Samuel to be a big part of this Shanahan offense and for the low price you'd have to pay to get him I will gladly take the chance and see what develops. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AintNoStoppinMeNow said:

-Jalen Hurd, the other rookie WR they drafted, is an interesting project who was a college RB who converted to WR late in his college career.

I'd give this guy just as good a chance of becoming Jimmy's #1 target as any.  Love everything I've seen so far.