Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR A.J. Brown, Titans

A.J. Brown Profile

My No.2 ranked receiver in this draft class, Brown is a big man with strong hands and an ability to make something happen after the catch. Per Pro Football Focus, he forced 17 broken tackles and only dropped five passes on 90 catchable targets in 2018. He also had 24 receptions of 20-plus yards (fifth in FBS). The interesting of Brown getting drafted by Tennessee is that he spent the majority of his career at Ole Miss in the slot, but he'll be asked to begin his pro career outside after the Titans handed a big free-agent deal to Adam Humphries in the offseason. He proved toward the end of the season he could thrive on the outside, but the landing spot for fantasy purposes isn't all that great - at least not immediately. Corey Davis will continue to be the clear No. 1 receiver and Delanie Walker figures to be the top option in the passing game if he's healthy. He's a possibility to be worth a late-round flier in redraft, but it's hard to like him as anything more than a second-round pick in rookie drafts.

what do we expect this year?

As long as Mariotta is the QB there is not a single fantasy wr on the titans team that is worth even a last round pick. He is one of the worst qbs to be drafted and kept a starter in the last decade. 

I made the mistake of drafting Corey Davis in my dynasty leagues his rookie season, thinking he was good enough to overcome the monstrosity that is Mariotta.  I think this is Mariotta's last season in TN, so maybe there is hope in 2020.  It should be clear to someone, at least one person in the TN front office, that Mariotta simply cannot play in the NFL.  Watching him is just a struggle.

Brown was my 3rd rated WR in this draft.  Had he not gone to TN, he could have been fantasy relevant this season.  Considering the money they just spent on Humphries, and the fact they brought in Davis with an early 1st round selection, AND Walker is coming back, I'm surprised they took a WR this early for a team that has openly stated they intend on pounding the rock.  Seems to me they could have taken on the Guards/Tackles available and been better off for it.  Or, they could have nabbed one of the Cornerbacks that fell.  So many other needs for this team than a 3rd WR who will not be better than the 4th option, at best. 

4 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

As long as Mariotta is the QB there is not a single fantasy wr on the titans team that is worth even a last round pick. He is one of the worst qbs to be drafted and kept a starter in the last decade. 

What makes you think Mariotta will be the starter all year long?

I think Tannehill will be guiding the ship by midseason.   I'm calling this now.

Ray I think you might be right. 

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

What makes you think Mariotta will be the starter all year long?

I think Tannehill will be guiding the ship by midseason.   I'm calling this now.

What makes you think that tannahill is going to somehow become anything other than a below average replacement player on a team thats tanking for tua by game 3

Combined into ryan marriotta or marcus tannahill they still would not be a good qb. 

well, Tannehill threw for 4000 yards twice in his career, and nearly hit it a third time (3900 yards)

2016 he got injured and only played 13 games.  projected over 16 games he likely would have hit 3700 yards.

2017 he missed due to injury and 2018 he got hurt as well.

writing those 2 seasons (and his rookie year) off the dude has averaged close to 3900 or 4000 yards per year on average.

Mariota has never thrown for 3500 yards in his career.

I dont pretend to say Tannehill is the answer, but I do think hes better than Mariota.

when the bar is that low, I think Tannehill is good enough.

Mariota can’t stay on the field. 

I think Tannehill will get a lot of playing time.