Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Parris Campbell, Colts

Parris Campbell Write-Up

Campbell finished with 90 catches last season and may have been the most feared receiver in the Big Ten last season. He did that despite receiving 90 of his 111 targets within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. Campbell ran such a limited route tree at Ohio State that it is impossible to know what he really is, but his measureables are those of a receiver Indianapolis hopes can stretch the field for T.Y. Hilton. While he's developing as a receiver, he could very well serve as the same Swiss Army knife role he occupied from time to time in college. It would make sense if the Colts do that since Campbell excels in space and can create offense without having to run a route. He'll be another rookie that will be on the redraft radar, even though he'll be no better than fourth in line for targets right away. His landing spot figures to push him in the first round of rookie drafts.

Is he good enough as a rookie to pass up Funchess as the #2 wr on the Colts? 

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

They are obviously not the same kind of player. I think Funchess was added to give the offense another red zone option besides Ebron, while Campbell may see 40 catches but finish with 700 yards (not a projection, just throwing it out there because he should see a few deep throws). I think I'd side with Funchess for 2019, but I don't think it's a given either.

Campbell is a legit deep threat. As far as fantasy relevance, he might be my favorite rookie WR. Hes the type you want as a WR4/5. A home run play to start the year who could develop into something better and more consistent as the year goes on.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:04 PM, weepaws said:

Funchess is nothing. he's not even a good fit in what the Colts want to do. That is Campbell. He will be the #2 this year and eventually the #1

On 4/27/2019 at 7:29 PM, Brutal Brutus said:

Campbell is a legit deep threat. As far as fantasy relevance, he might be my favorite rookie WR. Hes the type you want as a WR4/5. A home run play to start the year who could develop into something better and more consistent as the year goes on.

He had like 2 catches in his whole career where the ball traveled 20 yards in thr air.  

He is fast.  So is Samuel for Carolina.  Doesnt mean he is a real deep threat.  

56 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Funchess is nothing. he's not even a good fit in what the Colts want to do. That is Campbell. He will be the #2 this year and eventually the #1

I could be wrong but didn't the Colts give Funchess a 13 million dollar contract or round there? If that's the case the Colts value him as more than something even on a one year deal.

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

He had like 2 catches in his whole career where the ball traveled 20 yards in thr air.  

Samuel was somewhere between running back and wide receiver in college, Campbell is much more of a true receiver. Campbell is more than just a deep threat, but the idea with Campbell was always to get the ball into his hands and see if he could take it to the house.  Samuel never impressed me as a receiving prospect , Campbell has a true wr skillset to work the entire field, including deep routes.

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

I could be wrong but didn't the Colts give Funchess a 13 million dollar contract or round there? If that's the case the Colts value him as more than something even on a one year deal.

His contract maxes out at $13 M. The actual terms were one year and $10 M.

I like what the Guru said about this issue, they aren’t the same type of player. 

I think Funchess value will be in the redzone. 

So he might hurt Enbrons  value somewhat.  

Now I’m talking about a non ppr so tds is king. 

16 hours ago, Brutal Brutus said:

Samuel was somewhere between running back and wide receiver in college, Campbell is much more of a true receiver. Campbell is more than just a deep threat, but the idea with Campbell was always to get the ball into his hands and see if he could take it to the house.  Samuel never impressed me as a receiving prospect , Campbell has a true wr skillset to work the entire field, including deep routes.

Maybe you are right.  If thats the case then teams shouldnt have passed on him.  Hollywood has blazing speed but 165lbs and went a full round earlier.  

You would think a 6 foot 205lb 4.31 guy with "a true wr skillset" usually would go top 10 overall.

3 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Maybe you are right.  If thats the case then teams shouldnt have passed on him.  Hollywood has blazing speed but 165lbs and went a full round earlier.  

You would think a 6 foot 205lb 4.31 guy with "a true wr skillset" usually would go top 10 overall.

You compared him to Samuel because of their speed. I was just saying they aren't even close to being the same player coming out of college. Samuel was a RB/WR. Campbell is a WR. 

16 minutes ago, Brutal Brutus said:

You compared him to Samuel because of their speed. I was just saying they aren't even close to being the same player coming out of college. Samuel was a RB/WR. Campbell is a WR. 

I thought he compared him to Samuel because of the second sentence in the Guru's write-up. 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, The Football Guru said:

He did that despite receiving 90 of his 111 targets within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

3 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I thought he compared him to Samuel because of the second sentence in the Guru's write-up. 

It's possible, but that is an inaccurate comparison. Campbell had 90 receptions and 9 rushes. Samuel had more rushing attempts, 97,  than catches, 74. Samuel had no true position. Campbell is a WR. 

28 minutes ago, Brutal Brutus said:

Samuel had 74 catches his last year of college.

Samuel ran it more they were used vwry similar in the pass game.  Bubble screens.  Close to the line plays.  Jet sweeps.  

Im not saying Campbell wont be good.  But any scouting report I read says he ran limited routes.  Needs work on routes.  And has iffy hands.  To me that doesnt scream legit wr skillset coming in.  Watching ohio st play he caught a ton of screens.  

They were used in similar roles.  

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

Samuel had 74 catches his last year of college.

Samuel ran it more they were used vwry similar in the pass game.  Bubble screens.  Close to the line plays.  Jet sweeps.  

Im not saying Campbell wont be good.  But any scouting report I read says he ran limited routes.  Needs work on routes.  And has iffy hands.  To me that doesnt scream legit wr skillset coming in.  Watching ohio st play he caught a ton of screens.  

They were used in similar roles.  

They had similar roles in the passing game, since the idea was just to get the ball in their hands and see if they could take it to the house. I watch Ohio State and Samuel never seemed like a good fit at WR, Campbell seems like he has the ability to excel at the position. He could flame out, but I think he has a lot better shot than Samuel ever did. 

On 4/30/2019 at 12:06 PM, listen2me 23 said:

its hard to say.  Maybe its a case where teams could never contain him on the short routes, so why push him to do more when you dont have to?

Lol what?  

Deon Cain is the guy to own for the 2WR in Indy IMO. 

I think he's worth a late round flyer. Luck spreads it around and loves a TE in the red zone. 

That hurts his value too much for me. 

His value is a wr5. 

Your first thought was right on point, he worthy of a late round pick. 

His value as a wr5 is right on. 

Hey thanks.