Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB David Montgomery, Bears

David Montgomery Profile

Chicago traded away Jordan Howard and added Mike Davis a free agency, but the addition of Montgomery may end up sending Davis right back to backup status. Whatever he lacks in terms of big-play ability, he more than makes up for just about everywhere else. One of the reasons Howard was deemed expendable was because he didn't offer much in terms of a receiver. Iowa State HC Matt Campbell stated publicly he believed Montgomery was his best slot receiver. My second-ranked running back in this class and someone who reminded me of James Conner, Montgomery is a physical downhill runner who is more than capable of handling 20 touches per game, splitting out wide to take advantage of mismatches and serve as the goal-line back. That's exactly the role he should play in Chicago, and I think it is entirely possible he is a top-25 fantasy back as a rookie. As such, he is well worth a top-five pick in rookie drafts.

J Howard but with hands.  

M Davis just went back to being what he is a back up.  

I think in. Ppr league Cohen stock could take a little hit with this pick. 

Just don't think Cohen's a 3 down back longterm so Montgomery has a decent shot to take over the lead back job. I think that would benefit Cohen's numbers if he did. I'll be targeting him early in my rookie drafts and even grabbing him in redrafts midrounds. I have seen some people in redrafts taking him as early as 5th round(10 team leagues).