Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB David Montgomery, Bears

David Montgomery Profile

Chicago traded away Jordan Howard and added Mike Davis a free agency, but the addition of Montgomery may end up sending Davis right back to backup status. Whatever he lacks in terms of big-play ability, he more than makes up for just about everywhere else. One of the reasons Howard was deemed expendable was because he didn't offer much in terms of a receiver. Iowa State HC Matt Campbell stated publicly he believed Montgomery was his best slot receiver. My second-ranked running back in this class and someone who reminded me of James Conner, Montgomery is a physical downhill runner who is more than capable of handling 20 touches per game, splitting out wide to take advantage of mismatches and serve as the goal-line back. That's exactly the role he should play in Chicago, and I think it is entirely possible he is a top-25 fantasy back as a rookie. As such, he is well worth a top-five pick in rookie drafts.

J Howard but with hands.  

M Davis just went back to being what he is a back up.  

I think in. Ppr league Cohen stock could take a little hit with this pick. 

Could be possible that Mongo Mery ends up the.top back in Chicago by years end.

Just don't think Cohen's a 3 down back longterm so Montgomery has a decent shot to take over the lead back job. I think that would benefit Cohen's numbers if he did. I'll be targeting him early in my rookie drafts and even grabbing him in redrafts midrounds. I have seen some people in redrafts taking him as early as 5th round(10 team leagues).

I think he's in the best situation of all the rookie runningbacks.  He's got the Andy Reid protege as head coach and Reid turns every runningback he touches into a superstar.  Maybe Nagy will do something similar.

I am going on the record to say that, if healthy through the season, Montgomery will be a top-5 back by years end. He is in a fantastic situation, fantasy-wise, and reminds me of a David Johnson or Kareem Hunt. He does it all....and his skills will dictate that Nagy has him on the field and the clear workhorse RB for the Bears. His ADP has been criminal, but if you missed out on him, do what you can before week one to get him on your squad.

League winning upside imho.

40 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

I’ve been favoring Jacobs over Montgomery 

From a volume standpoint, you are correct.  Montgomery has to share with Cohen and Mike Davis.  On the Raiders, it's pretty much just Jacobs.  I'd draft him before I'd draft Montgomery.

I think Montgomery owners are going to be let down if they think they are drafting a bellcow RB.  It will be an ugly 3-headed monster in the Chicago backfield, with Mike Davis getting the short-yardage/goalline work, Cohen catching passes, and Montgomery piling up yards between the 20s--a good NFL offense, but bad for fantasy purposes.

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I think Montgomery owners are going to be let down if they think they are drafting a bellcow RB.  It will be an ugly 3-headed monster in the Chicago backfield, with Mike Davis getting the short-yardage/goalline work, Cohen catching passes, and Montgomery piling up yards between the 20s--a good NFL offense, but bad for fantasy purposes.

Would the real AxeElf please stand up....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stonewall said:

Would the real AxeElf please stand up....

I have imitators?  Well, you know what they say about the sincerest form of flattery...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Montgomery seems like a better goal line back and David a better chance for a big play between the 20s

Had my first draft last night and took Montgomery way too soon.  Huge run on RB's and started off with zero RB strategy so panicked

Already having buyers remorse

13 minutes ago, Gipaldo said:

Had my first draft last night and took Montgomery way too soon.  Huge run on RB's and started off with zero RB strategy so panicked

I read this a bit ago about Montgomery:

Chicago has mostly kept its exciting young rookie (David Montgomery) under wraps, playing on only 13 snaps. However, within that small sample he leads all running backs in PFF grade (87.3). He also saw three targets on 13 snaps, which ranks fourth-most. As multiple reports have corroborated, I think Tarik Cohen sees a major reduction in targets at Montgomery’s expense.

This came from Scott Barnett at PFF after a breakdown of the entire preseason thus far.  If anything, this should offer you some hope for Montgomery's usage going forward.

5 hours ago, Gipaldo said:

To each there own, of course, but I personally recommend that one never goes zero RB. 

However, you got very lucky that Montgomery dropped to you, my friend. If he stays healthy, you will be well pleased.

22 hours ago, FantasyRetard said:

I read this a bit ago about Montgomery:

Chicago has mostly kept its exciting young rookie (David Montgomery) under wraps, playing on only 13 snaps. However, within that small sample he leads all running backs in PFF grade (87.3). He also saw three targets on 13 snaps, which ranks fourth-most. As multiple reports have corroborated, I think Tarik Cohen sees a major reduction in targets at Montgomery’s expense.

This came from Scott Barnett at PFF after a breakdown of the entire preseason thus far.  If anything, this should offer you some hope for Montgomery's usage going forward.

I hate reading things like this. Cohen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Montgomery in the pass game. Montgomery is a nice grinder type rb. Cohen is a lightning bold with the ball in his hands. It's frustrating being a fan of the Bears, even when they finally get good. I'm not buying into Cohen losing catches yet. Carries, sure, but it would be a criminally stupid mistake to do it. If Cohen cant handle 80+ receptions in a season then he shouldn't even be playing football