Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Damien Harris, Patriots

Damien Harris Profile

It's hard to see much of a place for Harris in New England after Sony Michel established himself as a rookie last season, so this pick likely threatens the status of Rex Burkhead and/or pushes him into more of a special teams role on a more regular basis. There's not a lot of wiggle in Harris' game, but his power may be what the Patriots were seeking with his selection in hopes he can take some - if not most - of the goal-line work away from Michel. With that said, Harris held off Josh Jacobs for a starting job throughout their stays at Alabama, so it would be foolish to discount the possibility he could force some kind of early-down committee down the road (although I doubt it will happen considering how much more talented Michel is). Fantasy owners need to take any running back in New England seriously, so it would be wise if Michel owners viewed Harris as a high-priority handcuff. Harris lacks the upside to be a great option in rookie drafts - especially given what's in front of him on the depth chart and James White being such a critical part of the passing game - but the fact he is one injury away from potentially rushing for 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns makes him worth a pick in the late first or early second round.

As a Sony owner this makes me sick.  Billy B will use a player if they are effective in a situation.  Like when James Develin was used last year to plunge in for 4 short TDs.  If Sony gets stuffed at the goal line and then Harris comes in and finds success.  Oh, no!

Man this move really hurts Michel.  

Goaline will be the biggest problem for Michel owners.  

You have the same ff rb problem with the Pats that have been the norm for a long time.  

There are so many teams that are knee deep in running backs. I will never understand taking a guy in the 1st at that position unless he is a generational talent. Jacobs is not imo. 

21 hours ago, BobSanders_33 said:

As a Sony owner this makes me sick.  Billy B will use a player if they are effective in a situation.  Like when James Develin was used last year to plunge in for 4 short TDs.  If Sony gets stuffed at the goal line and then Harris comes in and finds success.  Oh, no!

This has ALWAYS been the case in New England.

Belichek loves doing RB by committee with each person having a special job that they do.   For this reason I've never wanted to draft a Pats RB as a starter.   They are fine as backups, but as starters, there is more risk than normal because of the teams tendency to split up the workload.