Sign in to follow this  
Bishop82

Any pickup truck geeks here?

Looking to get a midsized truck. Nothing too fancy and don't need tremendous towing capability.

I'm leaning towards Ram 1500, has anyone ever owned one? Or any other recommendations? 

You really only have 4 choices and they each do things better than the others.

Ford F150

Dodge Ram

GMC Serria

Toyota Tundra

• Like 1

I bought a 2019 ram 1500 classic 2 months ago. I would have preferred a tundra or Ford but they were more expensive used than what I paid new.

I am still happy with my purchase, and would make it again today.

• Like 1

I have a 2018 Tacoma TRD off road. It’s good on gas, comfortably seats 4, 6000 lb towing capacity, good in snow. 

I'm not an expert on cars.  But I feel you get what you pay for like most things.  Toyota certainly lives up to its reputation.  

If you are looking for something that will last a long time then get a Toyota.  There is a reason why certain cars and trucks have much better resale value.  

You take to any guy and they will have their own different opinion.  There is a group that hates FORD anything.  Some that says Dodge is trash and that is why they are cheaper.  I have never met a GMC guy in this day and age.   Just by looking at used lots and prices.....you see way more Fords and Toyotas being resold with high miles.  That's pretty much the only fact you can find.  You can get lucky or unlucky with any vehicle.  But just looking at used inventory tells you what people generally get out of each one.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I have never met a GMC guy in this day and age.

I have a GMC Denali, but I'm not a car snob I just like they way they looked and I don't seem them all over the place like I do Ford or Dodge.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

I have a GMC Denali, but I'm not a car snob I just like they way they looked and I don't seem them all over the place like I do Ford or Dodge.

Aren't GMC's expensive?  Maybe I'm wrong here but they are at least more new than Dodge and similar to chevy?  I always thought they were the overpriced brand especially when you throw the Denali trim on it....   

I feel most Trucks do similar things. If you buy new off the lot you will drive home happy. If you are someone that really tows a bunch then I guess looking into towing capacity comes into play.  

I would say the guys that go for "nice looking" trucks and keep them shiny ARE the truck snobs.   

I like to buy vehicles that will last or at least have a nice trade in value if I decide out of it.  If I am buying a truck it is more for its use rather than looks.  

I had a friend who lived closed to me who would never help me take my canoe anywhere because he didn't want to muddy up or scratch his big babied truck.  I'm like why the hell did you buy a truck?  

22 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I'm not an expert on cars.  But I feel you get what you pay for like most things.  Toyota certainly lives up to its reputation.  

If you are looking for something that will last a long time then get a Toyota.  There is a reason why certain cars and trucks have much better resale value.  

You take to any guy and they will have their own different opinion.  There is a group that hates FORD anything.  Some that says Dodge is trash and that is why they are cheaper.  I have never met a GMC guy in this day and age.   Just by looking at used lots and prices.....you see way more Fords and Toyotas being resold with high miles.  That's pretty much the only fact you can find.  You can get lucky or unlucky with any vehicle.  But just looking at used inventory tells you what people generally get out of each one.  

Chevy's actually make it to 200,000 miles more than Ford's.

https://clark.com/cars/most-reliable-cars-200000-miles/

However, I test drove all the different trucks and the Chevy's felt the slowest and I have a lead foot. People like the 5.3 L for reliability, but not necessarily for driving experience.

Toyota Tundra. Has what you need, comfortable ride, and holds its valuable a lot better than others. It’s what I got. 4x4. Dad had a Tacoma but after driving my tundra traded his in for a new tundra. Much smoother ride than a Tacoma 

6 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Aren't GMC's expensive?  Maybe I'm wrong here but they are at least more new than Dodge and similar to chevy?  I always thought they were the overpriced brand especially when you throw the Denali trim on it....   

I feel most Trucks do similar things. If you buy new off the lot you will drive home happy. If you are someone that really tows a bunch then I guess looking into towing capacity comes into play.  

I would say the guys that go for "nice looking" trucks and keep them shiny ARE the truck snobs.   

I like to buy vehicles that will last or at least have a nice trade in value if I decide out of it.  If I am buying a truck it is more for its use rather than looks.  

I had a friend who lived closed to me who would never help me take my canoe anywhere because he didn't want to muddy up or scratch his big babied truck.  I'm like why the hell did you buy a truck?  

That definitely won't be me, just need it for driving on the back roads for hunting and fishing. Plus if I could throw a plow on it for winter time, I'm set.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

However, I test drove all the different trucks and the Chevy's felt the slowest and I have a lead foot. People like the 5.3 L for reliability, but not necessarily for driving experience.

Yeah I see a lot of old Chevys.  Good call.

How about the newer Colorados?  Any experience with them?

1 minute ago, Bishop82 said:

That definitely won't be me, just need it for driving on the back roads for hunting and fishing. Plus if I could throw a plow on it for winter time, I'm set.

How much do you want to spend and how many miles per year do you drive?

What is the price of diesel compared to gas in Wisconsin?

If you put alot of highway miles on the vehicle the GMC Canyon with the diesel is pretty appealing if you do not need a tow vehicle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

People seem to like the diesel version when it makes sense, fishing guides pulling a lighter bay boat every day for example.

I do not know anyone that runs the gas version.

Recently drove my 2017 Ram 1500 from NY to FL.  Got about 22-23 mpg and it was very comfortable, smooth ride. No problems with it so far.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

How much do you want to spend and how many miles per year do you drive?

What is the price of diesel compared to gas in Wisconsin?

If you put alot of highway miles on the vehicle the GMC Canyon with the diesel is pretty appealing if you do not need a tow vehicle.

Vehicle price varies as I'm looking to pay cash and I'm not in need to purchase one immediately. I can save up for what I need.

I drive about 800 miles a month with the occasional trips back to Chicago.

Not sure about gas vs diesel prices here but I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for your help. 

3 minutes ago, BufordT said:

Recently drove my 2017 Ram 1500 from NY to FL.  Got about 22-23 mpg and it was very comfortable, smooth ride. No problems with it so far.

Nice, I was looking into the Bighorn originally. Heard it had excellent reviews regarding comfort.

14 minutes ago, Bishop82 said:

Nice, I was looking into the Bighorn originally. Heard it had excellent reviews regarding comfort.

I have the Texas version of the bighorn edition, down here they call it the "lonestar" edition.

Texas :rollseyes:

It is pretty nice inside, however I average 14-15 mpg in normal driving and 18-20 on the highway.

I had a Toyota pickup for about 8 years. Absolutely zero problems with the vehicle. Just typical maintenance, oil and tires.

This is similar to what I bought, i found one up in the northern midwest for you. I negotiated my purchase down to 33,000 out the door including tax title and loan.

https://www.arlingtonheightscdjr.com/new/Ram/2019-Ram-1500-1d5fb0d90a0e0a174f9ccd0612e0856d.htm?utm_campaign=deeplink&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=cars.com

Fords or Toyota's similarly equipped were 10,000 more.  I can put up with a lower resale because i saved so much up front.

• Thanks 1

Jap trucks are fine for little guys, but they aren’t suitable for anyone 6’0 or over. I used to have a Honda Ridgeline (hated it) and I also test drove the Toyota.  

They can’t compare to the leg room (both front and rear) in the used Ram Rebel I bought last year.  The Rebel is Ram’s Answer to Ford’s Raptor (sorta). 

It rides like a dream, tows well and Is perfectly suited for off road fun.  It also laughs at Michigan winters.   

I wish the bed was a foot longer and I don’t love all the interior controls.  

But I really like the ride and versatility of the air suspension system,  the comfort and the looks of the 2-tone interior and the power this truck generates.  

Overall pretty happy with it 

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1602-2016-ram-1500-rebel/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

That 5.3 wakes up BIGTIME with a simple tune. 

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Own a 2017 Colorado Z71, bought it new, 2 years in and couldn't be happier with it. Handles well, has over 300 HP, it will flat out get up and go when you need it to. Bose sound with the navigation. The on star app is great, can start it from anywhere.

I may be a snob though, outside of the bed, there isn't a scratch on it. 

This is the exact one I bought. Didn't plan on buying new but, the price of used trucks is out of control. I financed it at 0%.

• Like 2

I rented a Dodge Ram 4 door on a trip. Put 500 miles on it. Loved it. My daily driver is a Ford Ranger. Not sure I like Fords all that much.

3 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

I think Silverados are comparable to other brands when it comes to price. I bought my truck used and have so far come out ahead when it comes to resale value. You are right the Denali package jumps up the price though. 

For me I wanted a nice truck inside and out that wasn't the same truck I see all over the place.

That beings said my truck has not been babied. My bed is all scratched up and the inside is okay but I have baseball sh1t all over.

I know you said pick up, but the mister and I really love our Subaru outback. It's all wheel drive and gosh darn it boy can we fit a whole lot into it! Especially on Farmers market days.

Plus, Subarus are known to have extra flexible trannys! :wub:

Are you looking at NEW?  

Ram 1500 -- is a full sized truck, fyi. 

All new trucks are fancy, unless you get the "work model" --- then well, those are basic.

I have a 17 Ford F150 Raptor,  before that, GMC Sierra, Then Dodge Ram, then Toyota Tundra.

All are nice.  I laugh at these people that put a picture of one vehicle/person peeing on a different brand or whatever.

Ford/GMC seem like they are the most expensive "feature for feature"

Dodge seems like it is the least. 

In the newest Consumer Reports,  in the "vehicle reliability over time/history"  --- TOYOTA TUNDRA dominated over the makes and models.   Like a score of 83 vs the rest having scores in the 50's and 60s.   Again, this wasn't just 2018 or 2019 models (those should all be reliable anyway, shouldn't they?), it was like since the year 2000 or something like that.

In the most recent ratings (2019 models)....  these numbers don't mean much in my opinion though. 

Ford F150 - 67

Dodge Ram - 64

Toyota Tundra - 63

Chevy/GMC - 58

If you are looking to own it for lots of years..... my head tells me Toyota.  If you're only gonna have it for a few years...meh....they are all good. 

Truck people are snobbish when it comes to brand loyalty. Here are your big 3.

Chevy/ GMC

Ford 

Dodge Ram

The Toyota Tundra is the new hipster kid in town that's getting a lot of looks. Plus, these Japanese engines run forever. Which leads me to the Nissan Titan. Very underrated pickup from a brand that's been around forever. I love the mean and aggressive look and their trim levels go from the basic SV model to the higher end platinum reserve model. Last year Titan sold 53,000 trucks in a year. In comparison, Chevy sold 53,000 trucks in the first three weeks of December. Jaw dropping, considering how many players there are in the market. I drive a Dodge RAM crew cab and love it, but if I were in the market for a new pickup, I'd strongly consider the TITAN.  

5 minutes ago, Dragan187 said:

Truck people are snobbish when it comes to brand loyalty. Here are your big 3.

Chevy/ GMC

Ford 

Dodge Ram

The Toyota Tundra is the new hipster kid in town that's getting a lot of looks. Plus, these Japanese engines run forever. Which leads me to the Nissan Titan. Very underrated pickup from a brand that's been around forever. I love the mean and aggressive look and their trim levels go from the basic SV model to the higher end platinum reserve model. Last year Titan sold 53,000 trucks in a year. In comparison, Chevy sold 53,000 trucks in the first three weeks of December. Jaw dropping, considering how many players there are in the market. I drive a Dodge RAM crew cab and love it, but if I were in the market for a new pickup, I'd strongly consider the TITAN.  

Considered the Titan a few years ago.  Great looking truck.  I couldn't justify paying that much for a truck though. They're pricey

I bought a GMC Sierra Denali back in 2004, mainly because they were starting to have trouble moving them, and I managed to get it for a price that wasn't gouging.

Still have it, use it to pull my travel trailer, if you take care of the vehicles they will last....

I was the GM Buy manager for a GMC dealership. I also worked on the Dodge showroom floor. 

This could be the same for every make and my knowledge is from 2002, but I have read the fine print on milage claims for Dodge pickups. In Maryland, most pickups are 4X4, because of the snow. The mileage claims in print and on tv, were for 2X4, single cab, short bed pickups. 

Lots of pickup sales are to males who have no need for a truck. They would tell me, when they were buying a new truck, that they had never put anything in the bed and never towed a thing. Some of these guys were driving to DC from Frederick, MD five days a week, and were spending huge amounts of cash on gas. Like over $1,200 a month.

On the subject of mileage, a customer asked me to take a GMC Vortec 6000 home with me and drive it 50% on the highway, and 50% around town. I filed and refiled the tank up to a place I could see. Anyway, the mileage came to 6.99 miles to the gallon. 

I drive a 30 year old Toyota SR5 extended cab 4X4. 🤠

• Like 1

Just now, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

I bought a GMC Sierra Denali back in 2004, mainly because they were starting to have trouble moving them, and I managed to get it for a price that wasn't gouging.

Still have it, use it to pull my travel trailer, if you take care of the vehicles they will last....

Bought a 2004 Ram 1500 same year.  That was a good year to buy gas guzzlers. If I remember, gas prices were sky high.

1 hour ago, BufordT said:

Considered the Titan a few years ago.  Great looking truck.  I couldn't justify paying that much for a truck though. They're pricey

they had a pretty substantial glitch in their exhaust system. What should have been one piece was two held together by a flange. The welds would invariably crack and hot air would blow intto all kinds of ABS wiring. Real shitshow.

1 hour ago, BufordT said:

Bought a 2004 Ram 1500 same year.  That was a good year to buy gas guzzlers. If I remember, gas prices were sky high.

I bought it mostly to haul wood, it was my spare vehicle so right now it only has 71k miles.  The thing devours gas..... I had the exhaust converted to dual as well, and I got the model with the quadrasteer, love it

F150 if you actually need it to do anything it’s going to give you the most power imo The v6 outperforms others v8s even although me personally I have a 250 diesel but I’ll be getting a bronco in 2020 to add to my collection

but if your not a real truck guy then go with the tundra imo

Ram 1500 Bighorn Hemi here. It will roast any other truck off of the line.

I like the looks of the new Chevys, but I wouldn't buy one due to their mishandling of the bailout money.

Jap trucks are for women and guys who aren't patriots.

Fords are for qweers.

I bought a Nissan Titan and like it.

17 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Now granted....this isnt going to be your truck, but I wanted something nobody else had. I also have a small peenis.

Its not a dualie. So your peemus can't be too small.