Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Chalking tires/parking unconstitutional

Surprised this didn't make the board. But then again, I don't think drudge covered it. The supreme Court, I think it was, came down opposed to the practice of meter readers and the like chalking in order to ticket parking scofflaws. Apparently, seen as a violation of search and seizure or something. If you're interested, I'm sure you can Google it.

Anything that screws with those bastards, I'm usually up for. But I'd be curious how they handle this on a retroactive basis.

Outside our local bar we had a building that was surrounded on three sides by parking meters. I would constantly go out and feed the meters for complete strangers just to piss off this fat little meter reader who spent her whole day just circling one damn building.

6 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Outside our local bar we had a building that was surrounded on three sides by parking meters. I would constantly go out and feed the meters for complete strangers just to piss off this fat little meter reader who spent her whole day just circling one damn building.

Isnt this an illegal act itself?

Chalking my tires is an illegal search and seizure. Building backdoors into every piece of software Americans use to monitor them and record data in a massive data center in the desert... Totally cool.

SCOTUS logic. Damned if I can follow it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

One time, I got arrested for cutting down parking meters. While I was in jail, I won a hard boiled egg eating contest.

One of my all time favorite movies.

Why'd you have to say 50 eggs?

Put me on the other side of this one, if the parking limit is 2 hours and you need to park longer than that find an all day spot.  Downtown Houston on the weekend especially, there is only so much shorter term parking available. 

16 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

One time, I got arrested for cutting down parking meters. While I was in jail, I won a hard boiled egg eating contest.

Elf?

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Elf?

Cool Hand Luke I think

link?

1 minute ago, kutulu said:

What we've got here is failure to communicate. :wave:

:banana:

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

If you're interested, I'm sure you can Google it.

This is Wiff speak for "I don't know how to do links..."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Chalking my tires is an illegal search and seizure. Building backdoors into every piece of software Americans use to monitor them and record data in a massive data center in the desert... Totally cool.

amazing isnt it

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

Put me on the other side of this one, if the parking limit is 2 hours and you need to park longer than that find an all day spot.  Downtown Houston on the weekend especially, there is only so much shorter term parking available. 

Move

4 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Nice rant, but it wasn't SCOTUS.... US Court of Appeals.

The judge's reasoning was that chalking a tire (or any kind of messing with personal property) is effectively trespassing and requires a warrant.   Makes sense. 

NPR interviewed some officials about this and the city official said at $10 per ticket they actually lose money enforcing parking laws, but do it simply to help the public.  Guess they'll have to find another way to do it.

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

The judge's reasoning was that chalking a tire (or any kind of messing with personal property) is effectively trespassing and requires a warrant.   Makes sense. 

NPR interviewed some officials about this and the city official said at $10 per ticket they actually lose money enforcing parking laws, but do it simply to help the public.  Guess they'll have to find another way to do it.

Love the law 

6 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Surprised this didn't make the board. But then again, I don't think drudge covered it. The supreme Court, I think it was, came down opposed to the practice of meter readers and the like chalking in order to ticket parking scofflaws. Apparently, seen as a violation of search and seizure or something. If you're interested, I'm sure you can Google it.

Anything that screws with those bastards, I'm usually up for. But I'd be curious how they handle this on a retroactive basis.

Is that the same bar where you took on those ruffians and then cradled that women's head that got squashed and you tried to put it back together? That bar? 

22 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Is that the same bar where you took on those ruffians and then cradled that women's head that got squashed and you tried to put it back together? That bar? 

Dude, you really  need  to grow up - and get some new shiit. 👎

Maybe you could do it under yet another brand new alias?

26 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

He will be considering that tonight over some Sam Adams.

33 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Is it the same bar though? 

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Ask your mom

She doesn't talk to me any more.

10 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

She doesn't talk to me any more.

😁

15 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

They could just take a picture with a time stamp on it.  There is no trespass/invasion in that case.  The chalk is not needed, which is why the judges ruled this way.  It is a simple adjustment that protects the 4th Amendment.

29 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

They could just take a picture with a time stamp on it.  There is no trespass/invasion in that case.  The chalk is not needed, which is why the judges ruled this way.  It is a simple adjustment that protects the 4th Amendment.

My point is that the fourth amendment is already a fisted out wh0re. Stopping tire chalking is like putting on a condom after the gang rape. 

In DC they have central meters and tag readers on police. Meaning of you park on one street for a 2 hour limit, you cannot park in the city again that day or you may be ticketed. Stupid.