Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Kentucky Derby 2019 - Omaha Beach Scratched!

4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Why were there so many Navy and Marine people there?  Is there a significant ocean presence in Kentucky?  :dunno:

NOSL is in Louisville 

5 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

do you have any idea how many people bet on Venus and Serena?

I went with Serena on the first page. How much did my $20 bet win?

26 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

NOSL is in Louisville 

Interesting, thanks.

Naval Ordnance Station Louisville

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

Naval Ordnance Station Louisville ("NOSL") is a major employer of Louisville, Kentucky, near Standiford Field. For over fifty years, starting in late 1941, it provided maintenance and equipment for the United States Navy. Since the end of the Cold War Naval Ordinance was the main hub for repair and replace of Major Guns and Equipment on Battleships along with work for NASA, after which most of it has been turned over to private companies, and the complex is currently named the Greater Louisville Technology Park.

History[edit]

The area for Naval Ordnance was chosen due to being so far inland, that it would be difficult for enemies to strike it. Construction began on January 29, 1941, ten months prior to the Attack on Pearl Harbor and America's official entry into World War II. It was officially commissioned on October 1, 1941.[1]

56 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Right call, Maximum Security pushed out nearly 4 lanes, Country House might have been bumped by the horse to his inside, but he was pushed out at least 2 lanes.   Surprised the call took so long to make. 

+1

A couple of takes. 

1. I wouldn't have DQ'd the horse because it didn't look like it affected the outcome of the race.  MS was the superior horse. 

2. If this was a Bob Baffert or a Todd Pletcher or even a Bill Mott horse.....no way do they DQ the horse.

3. Favorite conspiracy theory so far:  Trump wants maximum security.  Maximum Security DQ'd is better headline.  Can't have a victory for maximum security.

If you search youtube for "Kentucky Derby" and sort by most viewed, only 5 videos are over 1 million.  2 of them are Secretariat winning in 1973.  Horse racing is dead.

29 minutes ago, BufordT said:

A couple of takes. 

1. I wouldn't have DQ'd the horse because it didn't look like it affected the outcome of the race.  MS was the superior horse. 

2. If this was a Bob Baffert or a Todd Pletcher or even a Bill Mott horse.....no way do they DQ the horse.

3. Favorite conspiracy theory so far:  Trump wants maximum security.  Maximum Security DQ'd is better headline.  Can't have a victory for maximum security.

Superior horse doesnt mean Jack. 

Follow the rules.  Didnt. Disqualified.   I dont know why people are pushing back on this.   Rules are rules 

4 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Follow the rules.  Didnt. Disqualified.   I dont know why people are pushing back on this.   Rules are rules 

What would happen if we applied your logic to the NBA or NFL?  Or NHL for that matter? 

It's a 20 horse field on a sloppy track. If they went by the letter of the law for every KD race, horses would DQ'd left and right every year.

"Superior horse doesn't mean Jack" lol'd at that one.  Dudley-Do-Right up in here

• Thanks 1

So the win was overturned? JC, and I thought soccer was gay. I guess horse racing isn’t really a sport, so there’s that.

13 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

So the win was overturned? JC, and I thought soccer was gay. I guess horse racing isn’t really a sport, so there’s that.

Since the beginning of horse racing, if there was no gambling, horse racing wouldn't exist today. In addition, soccer and basketball only exist as an activity for kids who have poor parents who can't afford those kids to engage in playing  real sports.

35 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Seriously?  You've got some 120 pound guy sitting on a 1000 pound beast and we are talking about getting "pinched".  Like I said earlier, if you don't want to get pinched, get out front.  I'm pretty sure a race car can change whatever lanes he wants, and he's controlling a machine, not a mammal.  The gates all open at the same time, the objective is to cross the finish line first.  If they need rules, then fine, you can't reach out and hit the other jockey or horse.  Otherwise we have "stewards" deciding who wins.

Reference my WC Fields quote earlier.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Seriously?  You've got some 120 pound guy sitting on a 1000 pound beast and we are talking about getting "pinched".  Like I said earlier, if you don't want to get pinched, get out front.  I'm pretty sure a race car can change whatever lanes he wants, and he's controlling a machine, not a mammal.  The gates all open at the same time, the objective is to cross the finish line first.  If they need rules, then fine, you can't reach out and hit the other jockey or horse.  Otherwise we have "stewards" deciding who wins.

Reference my WC Fields quote earlier.  :thumbsup:

I agreed with you yesterday then I saw a couple of posts on the topic over at Reddit. Apparently it’s really easy for these horses to die running the speeds they are running. If one was to trip it is almost guaranteed to break something and depending on where in the field it happened, you’d probably have a coupe jockeys/horses get trampled as well. Pretty anticlimactic but I get it. 

14 hours ago, BufordT said:

A couple of takes. 

Dumb. No one would be ridiculous enough to bring politics int-

I stand corrected.

18 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I agreed with you yesterday then I saw a couple of posts on the topic over at Reddit. Apparently it’s really easy for these horses to die running the speeds they are running. If one was to trip it is almost guaranteed to break something and depending on where in the field it happened, you’d probably have a coupe jockeys/horses get trampled as well. Pretty anticlimactic but I get it. 

Fair enough.  I can buy a safety angle.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Yeah, lawsuit.

Just re run it next week with the horses involved and rake in more $. Guarantee the winner will be Max Security.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Fair enough.  I can buy a safety angle.  :thumbsup:

Gee whiz.  Youd almost think there are rules for a reason.

5 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

All sports have rules, the vast majority of which are for the integrity of the game.  Occasionally there is a rule that involves safety.  I wasn't completely glued to the TV but it seemed like they were talking about pinching and changing lanes and cutting off other horses from their fair lanes.  If they talked about safety and death and destruction I missed it.  But feel free to be a kunt.  Kunt.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Apparently it’s really easy for these horses to die running the speeds they are running.

A horse can go down at any speed, one bad step and it can be game over. My dad's horse had to be put down a few weeks ago, was coming off a win and was getting ready for it's next race... They were expecting to run it at Saratoga this summer. The trainer said it wasn't going fast at all just stepped wrong and bam a bad break had to be put down. They are huge powerful animals but their legs are pretty skinny down low compared to the rest of the body.

• Like 1

The call was not taken lightly and was correct.  I thought that maybe they might be lax due to track conditions. 

• Like 1

Oh thank God. Fresh from sending 60 tweets and retweets in one day about Joe Biden, our beloved very stable genius just had to weigh in on the Kentucky Derby too.

Dude, STFUP. Between him instructing California to clean the 'floor' of the forest and then giving the French great advice on how to water bomb the cathedral and now weighing in on the freaking Kentucky Derby? Yeah, maybe just skip a tweet day and read 1 Presidential Daily Briefing per week at least okay?

I bet most of you with teenage girls don't see them tweet 60 times in a day. I bet all the Kardashians combined don't do that.  JFC

23 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Oh thank God. Fresh from sending 60 tweets and retweets in one day about Joe Biden, our beloved very stable genius just had to weigh in on the Kentucky Derby too.

Dude, STFUP. Between him instructing California to clean the 'floor' of the forest and then giving the French great advice on how to water bomb the cathedral and now weighing in on the freaking Kentucky Derby? Yeah, maybe just skip a tweet day and read 1 Presidential Daily Briefing per week at least okay?

I bet most of you with teenage girls don't see them tweet 60 times in a day. I bet all the Kardashians combined don't do that.  JFC

Well, this cutting-edge topic certainly couldn't have been covered in the hundred and seven page thread.

4th post.

6 hours ago, jerryskids said:

All sports have rules, the vast majority of which are for the integrity of the game.  Occasionally there is a rule that involves safety.  I wasn't completely glued to the TV but it seemed like they were talking about pinching and changing lanes and cutting off other horses from their fair lanes.  If they talked about safety and death and destruction I missed it.  But feel free to be a kunt.  Kunt.  :thumbsup:

You started it.  

6 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Yep. You'd think that dang horse woulda followed those rules.  He was told ahead of time.  Or the jockey woulda overpowered the horse when the horse reacted like that.

I saw a race a while ago, the horse bucked the jockey off, the jockey sued the horse and won.   The horse had to file bankruptcy.

What I'm getting at... "rules" cover all human aspects of sports.  But not in horse racing.

There is no perfect answer for what to do yesterday.

In my opinion, since it wasn't jockey error or any intent or within the control of the jockey,  COMBINED with the fact Maximum Security was the best horse,  I'd have left the results as is. 

Okay, some of you have to admit that it's pretty funny that the President blamed 'political correctness' for why they overturned the horse race...I mean...WTF.   :lol:

The Kentucky Derby decision was not a good one. It was a rough & tumble race on a wet and sloppy track, actually, a beautiful thing to watch. Only in these days of political correctness could such an overturn occur. The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby - not even close!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Okay, some of you have to admit that it's pretty funny that the President blamed 'political correctness' for why they overturned the horse race...I mean...WTF.   :lol:

Yes, dumb.

7 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I wish the Pres wouldn't troll, but it works.  Don't feed it.

On 5/4/2019 at 7:01 PM, BufordT said:

What would happen if we applied your logic to the NBA or NFL?  Or NHL for that matter? 

It's a 20 horse field on a sloppy track. If they went by the letter of the law for every KD race, horses would DQ'd left and right every year.

"Superior horse doesn't mean Jack" lol'd at that one.  Dudley-Do-Right up in here

/thread

10 hours ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Dumb. No one would be ridiculous enough to bring politics int-

I stand corrected.

That wasn’t Trump being political. That was Trump being himself and just giving his thoughts on the race. Which is one of the reason I really like him despite disagreeing with him. You however did make the thread political. 

9 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

That wasn’t Trump being political. That was Trump being himself and just giving his thoughts on the race. Which is one of the reason I really like him despite disagreeing with him. You however did make the thread political. 

What does political correctness have to do with the race results?

• Like 2

I've bet the Kentucky Derby for 25+ years and only picked the winner once. But I've now picked the horse to finish in first place, twice. ? .  That's messed up.

Sports radio guys say Derby officials did a poor job in draining the track and there were huge mud puddles ... it's possible the bright lights and the puddles made the horse spook or see something that wasn't there, which apparently happens.   That and/or crowd noise.   They said the drifting did technically allow a DQ, but you could do that in lots of Derby races, due to the 20-horse field with so much bumping.

In the end, it doesn't cost me much.... I would've won $75 or so. Gotta feel for the guys it cost thousands.  Deadspin.com had an interesting take that slow-motion replay of every sporting event kills suspense and turns sports into a minutia of micro-fractions.

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

I've bet the Kentucky Derby for 25+ years and only picked the winner once. But I've now picked the horse to finish in first place, twice. ? .  That's messed up.

Sports radio guys say Derby officials did a poor job in draining the track and there were huge mud puddles ... it's possible the bright lights and the puddles made the horse spook or see something that wasn't there, which apparently happens.   That and/or crowd noise.   They said the drifting did technically allow a DQ, but you could do that in lots of Derby races, due to the 20-horse field with so much bumping.

In the end, it doesn't cost me much.... I would've won $75 or so. Gotta feel for the guys it cost thousands.  Deadspin.com had an interesting take that slow-motion replay of every sporting event kills suspense and turns sports into a minutia of micro-fractions.

Instant replay is fine.  It should only be seen at “real time” though.  Especially with football.

Luis Saez suspended 15 days for not controlling his horse.

Luis Saez, the jockey whose ride aboard Kentucky Derby winner Maximum Security resulted in the first disqualification for interference in the 145-year history of the race, was suspended for 15 racing days by racing stewards in a decision announced by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.

Maximum Security’s disqualification occurred when the horse ventured wide of the rail leaving the second turn of the May 4 race, interfering with others in the 19-horse field before crossing the finish line first.

Saez was cited for “failure to control his mount and make the proper effort to maintain a straight course,” the stewards said in their ruling, released Monday on the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission website. The suspension is five times longer than the usual penalty for a riding infraction and covers May 23-27, May 30-June 2, June 6-9 and June 13-14.

Talk about kicking a guy when he's down.   

So they suspended the 110 lb. jockey for not controlling his 1100 lbs. animal - in a swamp fest?

That makes sense..

40 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

So they suspended the 110 lb. jockey for not controlling his 1100 lbs. animal - in a swamp fest?

That makes sense..

That's my point to why he never shoulda been brought down.

1.) He didn't steer the horse (sometimes jockeys are at fault for steering the horse, which can affect the race--and yes, these instances should be remedied by changing the horses placing/finish.).......

2.) ..........The horse reacted to the crowd.  If that is really the way they want to go, I guess fine the trainer because he didn't pipe crowd noise into training, in order get the horse accustomed to the noise. How is a jockey to control a focking horse in that instance? All the jockeys face the same risk.  The same odds of their horse being affected.  It was completely out of the jockeys control.  They should fire the stewards if it rains tomorrow or next Thursday.  Same thing. Random. Beyond their control.
3.) The next time a horse takes a tumble, and wipes out, I want to see the jockey get fined. Ive seen it happen when a horse jumps a shadow, thus causing the horse to lose footing, and causing a trail of collisions behind him. 
4.) No one was catching Maximum Security.  He was the best horse, and finished first.