Sign in to follow this  
BLS

Did you ever experience 'the one that got away'?

3 hours ago, BLS said:

Ever have someone in your life or you wanted to be in your life that was very special, but it never worked out?

I just got married in February.  She's a good enough woman, but we have our share of problems.
I didn't really want to get married, but I'm almost 50 and decided it was time.
She's not the one I dreamed of, but she's mostly good to me.

The one that got away was a girl I met in my late 20's.  Smile that made my heart stop and eyes that made me get a lump in my throat.
I'll spare you the gushy stuff, but I never knew there could be a woman of my dreams until I met her.

We ended up sharing our feelings one night, and it turns out she felt the same way about me that I did about her, but she was dating someone long-term, later got pregnant, married him and had another kid.

We occasionally chatted on Facebook or email, but never a lot of communication.

I sent her a text out of the blue for her Birthday a couple weeks ago.
She replied back "thanks, how are you?"

We met up for a drink a few weeks back.  She got divorced 2 years ago.  Still single.

😟

I feel like a piece of for the thoughts that are going through my mind daily.  
Talk about confusing.

Wow.......can relate and feel for you. 

Yes, apparently I need to install sturdier window bars.  <_<

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BLS said:

It's what she wanted.  

That's a reason to agree to a floral patterned comforter or where to go for vacation, not a reason to get married.

Not for nothing but it doesn't sound like the odds of this one going the distance are all that good. You got married in February? You don't even need to get a divorce. At this point you can have it annulled and it's like it never happened. 

Life is too short to be married to somebody you don't absolutely want to be married to. I'm not even advocating going after "the one that got away". I'm just saying for your own long term happiness maybe you're better off untying the knot.  

• Thanks 1

Sadly the one that got away was your fiancee. I loved her but I just wasn't into all the weird scat stuff that she wanted me to do to her. 

Enjoy your new human toilet. I wish her and you the best. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BLS said:

Ever have someone in your life or you wanted to be in your life that was very special, but it never worked out?

I just got married in February.  She's a good enough woman, but we have our share of problems.

The one that got away was a girl I met in my late 20's.  Smile that made my heart stop and eyes that made me get a lump in my throat.
I'll spare you the gushy stuff, but I never knew there could be a woman of my dreams until I met her.

We ended up sharing our feelings one night, and it turns out she felt the same way about me that I did about her, but she was dating someone long-term, later got pregnant, married him and had another kid.

We met up for a drink a few weeks back.  She got divorced 2 years ago.  Still single.

😟

Talk about confusing.

Why complicate your life so much? When you make a decision, that's your life. Make the best of life. Why make a soap opera out of it? 

• Like 1

Married 25 years. Not as good as it used to be but no chance I'm starting over and giving up half my sh!t. 

7 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Married 25 years. Not as good as it used to be but no chance I'm starting over and giving up half my sh!t. 

Same here. Wanna do a wife swap and spice it up a bit?  Does your wife do anal? 

9 minutes ago, DonS said:

If I was gonna fock another woman , she'll be early 20's not late 40's lol.

14 minutes ago, DonS said:

I'm sure she'll strap on a for you

5 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I'm sure she'll strap on a for you

Sigh. Been there done that....

With yer mom.  BOOM!!! 

9 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

If I was gonna fock another woman , she'll be early 20's not late 40's lol.

So true. So true. :cheers:

Not really. All the ones I've had, I was glad to see go by the time we split.

There are a few I never had the balls to pursue that I think back on though.

But yeah. The woman you've built in your head? Probably mostly an illusion. Doesn't exist.

I think you have a syndrome in common with the lead in one of my favorite movies. I'll leave the applicable clip here.

As for me, my wife is not what I would have ever imagined id be with. We have few interests in common. She doesn't know anything about books or music or history or sports or any of the bullsh!t I like. But we respect each other, and it is a lot of fun exposing her to new things and vice versa. She got approved for a US visa yesterday. I can't wait to show her my home, take her to her first concert, blah blah blah.

Perfect doesn't exist, and you would get tired of it if it did. Enjoy the little things of life with who you're with. That's kind of the whole point in the end. 

25 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

As for me, my wife is not what I would have ever imagined id be with. We have few interests in common. She doesn't know anything about books or music or history or sports or any of the bullsh!t I like. But we respect each other, and it is a lot of fun exposing her to new things and vice versa. She got approved for a US visa yesterday. I can't wait to show her my home, take her to her first concert, blah blah blah.

Perfect doesn't exist, and you would get tired of it if it did. Enjoy the little things of life with who you're with. That's kind of the whole point in the end. 

Congrats on her getting the US visa!

9 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Congrats on her getting the US visa!

Thanks! She's so excited. She tried to fake me out and say she didn't get it, but she couldn't wipe the grin off her face.

I think we will take a direct flight from Hong Kong to New York. I've never been to NYC, and obviously neither has she. So I will solicit geek opinions of places to eat and such. It appears a delegation of my family (mom and sister perhaps) are going to fly there and meet us, hang for a few days, and then we all go back to Memphis together.

Gonna find a concert to take her to. She likes country, and god knows that's easy to find in Nashville.

She'll get 30 days in the states, then we will fly back. We will have two weeks of summer break left. Maybe go to Cambodia or Myanmar or somewhere cheap and close for the remainder.

Should be a hell of a summer.

4 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Thanks! She's so excited. She tried to fake me out and say she didn't get it, but she couldn't wipe the grin off her face.

I think we will take a direct flight from Hong Kong to New York. I've never been to NYC, and obviously neither has she. So I will solicit geek opinions of places to eat and such. It appears a delegation of my family (mom and sister perhaps) are going to fly there and meet us, hang for a few days, and then we all go back to Memphis together.

Gonna find a concert to take her to. She likes country, and god knows that's easy to find in Nashville.

She'll get 30 days in the states, then we will fly back. We will have two weeks of summer break left. Maybe go to Cambodia or Myanmar or somewhere cheap and close for the remainder.

Should be a hell of a summer.

I hope you have a great time!  I've been to NYC a few times but I don't pretend to know it so I'll defer to others.  :cheers:

Dude, congratulations! The first thing you want to do when you get to New York City? Go to Chinatown!

1 minute ago, wiffleball said:

Dude, congratulations! The first thing you want to do when you get to New York City? Go to Chinatown!

Lol. Everywhere we go in Asia, there is a china Town. We always avoid it like the plague.

But once I found myself in Chinatown in Singapore. It was nice. Like what you think china is like, rather than the drab distopia it is.

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I hope you have a great time!  I've been to NYC a few times but I don't pretend to know it so I'll defer to others.  :cheers:

She kinda wanted to go to LA. She wants to see the Hollywood sign for some reason. I've explained that we would spend hundreds of dollars on Uber alone in LA, and a friend we have from there has convinced her it sucks. She is happy to substitute NYC instead. I figure being more compact and having the subway and all, it will be easier and more enjoyable to get around. 

20 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

She kinda wanted to go to LA. She wants to see the Hollywood sign for some reason. I've explained that we would spend hundreds of dollars on Uber alone in LA, and a friend we have from there has convinced her it sucks. She is happy to substitute NYC instead. I figure being more compact and having the subway and all, it will be easier and more enjoyable to get around. 

Dude, it doesn't sound like she has any concept of open space. At least take her to upstate New York. But preferably someplace else where there isn't a building to be seen for miles and miles. The state parks ought to be gorgeous by the time you're there.

Did you know that New York has the largest national park by far ?

Crazy.

The Adirondack Park was created in 1892 by the State of New Yorkamid concerns for the water and timber resources of the region. Today the Park is the largestpublicly protected area in the contiguous United States, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined.

6 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I could make arguments for either.  LA is less flight of course.  But there is obviously a bucket list item to see places like Times Square.  Heck, as an Arizonan I could make a case for the Grand Canyon, it is a wonder of the world.

2 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Dude, it doesn't sound like she has any concept of open space. At least take her to upstate New York. But preferably someplace else where there isn't a building to be seen for miles and miles. The state parks ought to be gorgeous by the time you're there.

Did you know that New York has the largest national park by far ?

Crazy.

The Adirondack Park was created in 1892 by the State of New Yorkamid concerns for the water and timber resources of the region. Today the Park is the largestpublicly protected area in the contiguous United States, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined.

We will spend the bulk of the trip in Tennessee. She'll see plenty of open space. My brother's hemp farm for one.

But she's from a bamboo village on a mountain. She's far more a country girl than I am a country boy.

I know she'd love Niagra falls, but I don't know how realistic that is. It's really far I understand. 

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I could make arguments for either.  LA is less flight of course.  But there is obviously a bucket list item to see places like Times Square.  Heck, as an Arizonan I could make a case for the Grand Canyon, it is a wonder of the world.

Yeah, if we did LA, it would also include Vegas and the Grand canyon. But the transport is tricky.

Doesn't really matter. She will have a ten year visa. This is just the first of many trips to the states. Well do the other one next time. 

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

We will spend the bulk of the trip in Tennessee. She'll see plenty of open space. My brother's hemp farm for one.

But she's from a bamboo village on a mountain. She's far more a country girl than I am a country boy.

I know she'd love Niagra falls, but I don't know how realistic that is. It's really far I understand. 

If you go to Upstate NY then I suggest going in the fall. Autumn colors are amazing and you don't need to deal with heat/humidity.  Fall colors is the only thing I truly miss about back home. 

Just now, DonS said:

If you go to Upstate NY then I suggest going in the fall. Autumn colors are amazing and you don't need to deal with heat/humidity.  Fall colors is the only thing I truly miss about back home. 

I'm seeing that there are 1 and 2 day tours from the city to Niagra falls. That might be cool. Of course, she'd have to stay on the us side of the border. 

Look Into a river cruise to experience the falls. It's incredibly relaxing. You know, mostly.

19 hours ago, BLS said:

The optimal mating strategy for humans was gamed out by mathematicians  a long time ago.  You should have 4 semi to serious relationships in your life and grade each person on a scale, and then marry the first person that grades out higher than any of those 4.

Let's deep-dive into the math.

THE SECRETARY PROBLEM

Let's say a man is interviewing candidates to be his secretary.  When is the candidate good enough? What’s the stopping criteria?

candidates = { betsy, sally, holly, kim, anna, shaniqua, amy, heather, laura }

let's translate that into integers for our study where each number is a rating of their "wife quality factor".

candidates = { 1, 3, 7, 5, 8, 3, 1, 9, 4 }

This problem would be trivial — just pick the max element — if it weren’t for two properties.

1. There’s no look-ahead. When I’m dating any one person, I’m unable to look forward into the future and consider who I’ll date in the future. I have no crystal ball.
    2. There’s no undo. If I date a great girl for a while, but leave her in a misguided attempt to find someone better, there’s a good chance she’ll be unavailable in the future, married to some douche named Trevor who played lacrosse in high school.

The strategy most adults adopt — insofar as they consciously adopt a strategy — is to date around for a while, gain some experience, figure out one’s options, and then choose the next best thing that comes around.

In terms of the secretary problem, such a strategy would be: Scan through the first \( r \) integers and then choose the first option that is greater than any of the integers in \( [1,r] \).

In order for this strategy to return the maximum integer, two conditions must hold:

1. The maximum integer cannot be contained in \([1,r]\). Our strategy is to scan through \([1,r]\), so if the solution is in \([1,r]\), we necessarily lose. This can also be stated as \(n \geq r\).
    2. Our strategy is going to select the first integer, \( i \),  in \([r,N]\) that’s greater than \(max([1,r])\). Given this, there cannot be any integers greater than \(i\) that come after \(i\), otherwise the strategy will lose. Alternatively put, the condition \(max([1,r]) == max([1,n])\) must be true.

Thus, to calculate the effectiveness of our strategy, we need to know the
probability that both of these will hold. For some given \(n\), this is:

$$ \frac{r}{n}\frac{1}{N} $$

\(\frac{1}{N}\) is the probability that \(i\) occurs at \(n + 1\) (remember, this is the probability for some n, not the n), while \(\frac{r}{n}\) is a consequence of the second condition — the probability that the condition \(max([1,r]) == max([1,n])\) is true.

To calculate the probability for some \(r\), \(P(r)\), not for arbitrary \(n\), but for everything, we need to sum over \(n \geq r\):

$$ P(r) = \frac{1}{N}(\frac{r}{r}+\frac{r}{r+1}+\frac{r}{r+2}+…+\frac{r}{N-1}) = \frac{r}{N}\sum_{n=r}^{N-1}\frac{1}{n} $$

This is a Riemann approximation of an integral so we can rewrite it. By letting \(\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty}\frac{r}{N} = x\) and \(\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty}\frac{n}{N} = t\), we get:

$$ P(r) = \lim_{N \rightarrow \infty}\frac{r}{N}\sum_{n=r}^{N-1}\frac{N}{n}\frac{1}{N}=x\int_{x}^{1}\frac{1}{t}dt=-x \ln x $$

Now, we can find the optimal \(r\) by solving for \(P'(r) = 0\). By plugging \(r_{optimal}\) back into \(P(r)\), we will find the probability of success.

$$ P'(r) = -\ln x – 1 = 0 \Rightarrow x = \frac{1}{e} $$
$$ P(\frac{1}{e}) = \frac{1}{e} \approx .37 $$

The optimal solution is for him to estimate how many people you believe you might reasonably date in the future, say \(20\). We plug this into the equation \(\frac{N}{e}\), where \(N=20\), \(\frac{20}{e} \approx 7\).

This result says that, if you want to maximize his probability of ending up with the best possible woman, you should date 7 women and, then, marry the next woman who is better than all of those women.

However, we have sneaked some probably untenable assumptions into our analysis. The typical secretary problem maximizes the chances of landing the best choice, and considers all other outcomes equally bad. Most on the dating market are not thinking this way — they want to maximize the probability that they end up with a pretty good spouse. It’s not all or nothing.

Fear not, there’s a modification of the secretary problem that maximizes the probability of finding a high-value husband or wife. I’m not going to cover the derivation for this flavor of the secretary problem in this post. (For technical details, see Bearden 2005), but suffice it to say, the strategy is the same except we use a cutoff of \(\sqrt{N}\) rather than \(\frac{N}{e}\).

Consider dating for the average American. Assuming one wants to settle down by the age of 35, one has the opportunity for somewhere between 7 and 30 sorta serious relationships. Taking the geometric mean, we get about 14. Johannes Kepler famously considered 11 women for his second wife, so this is, at the very least, not absurd.

The square root of 14 is about 4. Thus, according to the math, one should have four kinda serious relationships and then marry the next person that comes along who is better than all of those four.

http://rs.io/the-secretary-problem-explained-dating/

Where people get screwed over is when the best candidate unfortunately was in the first 4.  That skews the data and they never find a mate.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:31 AM, BLS said:

😟

Talk about confusing.

I had the one that got away. I didn't let her get away. We had 15 years together. Some family things went down that over a year & a half slowly eroded what we had. It can never be fixed......she finally got away. I dont know your situation but I can tell you this.....if what you have is not rock solid, if there is a strong chance to have what never was...go for it. Dont sigt in a rocking chair years from now thinking what if or I wish I had. If what you have isn't what you want till death do us part, you owe it to yourself & your current partner to sail where the wind blows you.

12 hours ago, riversco said:

The optimal mating strategy for humans was gamed out by mathematicians  a long time ago.  You should have 4 semi to serious relationships in your life and grade each person on a scale, and then marry the first person that grades out higher than any of those 4.

Let's deep-dive into the math.

THE SECRETARY PROBLEM

Let's say a man is interviewing candidates to be his secretary.  When is the candidate good enough? What’s the stopping criteria?

candidates = { betsy, sally, holly, kim, anna, shaniqua, amy, heather, laura }

let's translate that into integers for our study where each number is a rating of their "wife quality factor".

candidates = { 1, 3, 7, 5, 8, 3, 1, 9, 4 }

This problem would be trivial — just pick the max element — if it weren’t for two properties.

1. There’s no look-ahead. When I’m dating any one person, I’m unable to look forward into the future and consider who I’ll date in the future. I have no crystal ball.
    2. There’s no undo. If I date a great girl for a while, but leave her in a misguided attempt to find someone better, there’s a good chance she’ll be unavailable in the future, married to some douche named Trevor who played lacrosse in high school.

The strategy most adults adopt — insofar as they consciously adopt a strategy — is to date around for a while, gain some experience, figure out one’s options, and then choose the next best thing that comes around.

In terms of the secretary problem, such a strategy would be: Scan through the first \( r \) integers and then choose the first option that is greater than any of the integers in \( [1,r] \).

In order for this strategy to return the maximum integer, two conditions must hold:

1. The maximum integer cannot be contained in \([1,r]\). Our strategy is to scan through \([1,r]\), so if the solution is in \([1,r]\), we necessarily lose. This can also be stated as \(n \geq r\).
    2. Our strategy is going to select the first integer, \( i \),  in \([r,N]\) that’s greater than \(max([1,r])\). Given this, there cannot be any integers greater than \(i\) that come after \(i\), otherwise the strategy will lose. Alternatively put, the condition \(max([1,r]) == max([1,n])\) must be true.

Thus, to calculate the effectiveness of our strategy, we need to know the
probability that both of these will hold. For some given \(n\), this is:

$$ \frac{r}{n}\frac{1}{N} $$

\(\frac{1}{N}\) is the probability that \(i\) occurs at \(n + 1\) (remember, this is the probability for some n, not the n), while \(\frac{r}{n}\) is a consequence of the second condition — the probability that the condition \(max([1,r]) == max([1,n])\) is true.

To calculate the probability for some \(r\), \(P(r)\), not for arbitrary \(n\), but for everything, we need to sum over \(n \geq r\):

$$ P(r) = \frac{1}{N}(\frac{r}{r}+\frac{r}{r+1}+\frac{r}{r+2}+…+\frac{r}{N-1}) = \frac{r}{N}\sum_{n=r}^{N-1}\frac{1}{n} $$

This is a Riemann approximation of an integral so we can rewrite it. By letting \(\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty}\frac{r}{N} = x\) and \(\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty}\frac{n}{N} = t\), we get:

$$ P(r) = \lim_{N \rightarrow \infty}\frac{r}{N}\sum_{n=r}^{N-1}\frac{N}{n}\frac{1}{N}=x\int_{x}^{1}\frac{1}{t}dt=-x \ln x $$

Now, we can find the optimal \(r\) by solving for \(P'(r) = 0\). By plugging \(r_{optimal}\) back into \(P(r)\), we will find the probability of success.

$$ P'(r) = -\ln x – 1 = 0 \Rightarrow x = \frac{1}{e} $$
$$ P(\frac{1}{e}) = \frac{1}{e} \approx .37 $$

The optimal solution is for him to estimate how many people you believe you might reasonably date in the future, say \(20\). We plug this into the equation \(\frac{N}{e}\), where \(N=20\), \(\frac{20}{e} \approx 7\).

This result says that, if you want to maximize his probability of ending up with the best possible woman, you should date 7 women and, then, marry the next woman who is better than all of those women.

However, we have sneaked some probably untenable assumptions into our analysis. The typical secretary problem maximizes the chances of landing the best choice, and considers all other outcomes equally bad. Most on the dating market are not thinking this way — they want to maximize the probability that they end up with a pretty good spouse. It’s not all or nothing.

Fear not, there’s a modification of the secretary problem that maximizes the probability of finding a high-value husband or wife. I’m not going to cover the derivation for this flavor of the secretary problem in this post. (For technical details, see Bearden 2005), but suffice it to say, the strategy is the same except we use a cutoff of \(\sqrt{N}\) rather than \(\frac{N}{e}\).

Consider dating for the average American. Assuming one wants to settle down by the age of 35, one has the opportunity for somewhere between 7 and 30 sorta serious relationships. Taking the geometric mean, we get about 14. Johannes Kepler famously considered 11 women for his second wife, so this is, at the very least, not absurd.

The square root of 14 is about 4. Thus, according to the math, one should have four kinda serious relationships and then marry the next person that comes along who is better than all of those four.

http://rs.io/the-secretary-problem-explained-dating/

Where people get screwed over is when the best candidate unfortunately was in the first 4.  That skews the data and they never find a mate.

Jeebus.  I never quite got probability, and I'm an engineer.  Now I know why.  :blink:

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Jeebus.  I never quite got probability, and I'm an engineer.  Now I know why.  :blink:

I think the minute you put math into love, whats the point

3 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Well, mixing the roofies without math can be dangerous. Then you have to do a lot of digging. 

On 5/10/2019 at 12:32 PM, BLS said:

As usual, good advice.

In my heart I know you're right.

Jerry is right. This sounds like a classic case of “grass is greener.” If you’d married this woman you’re pining over there’d be another one who got away. Huge red flag having these feelings months after marriage though. May want to cut bait on that.

20 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I'm seeing that there are 1 and 2 day tours from the city to Niagra falls. That might be cool. Of course, she'd have to stay on the us side of the border. 

The canadian side is much better than the US side if Niagara Falls.

5 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Well, if you're a chick and the math is measured in inches, I could see how it might come in to play.  :ninja:

Have you considered just having a discreet affair with the girl from 20 years back?

Then you’d have more information and be better equipped to make an informed decision on how to proceed. 

53 minutes ago, Strike said:

Well, if you're a chick and the math is measured in inches, I could see how it might come in to play.  :ninja:

Or dollars. 

1 hour ago, Brad GLuckman said:

The canadian side is much better than the US side if Niagara Falls.

So I read. But that would require another visa, which would require a day off work to get, and then another exit and entry from and to the US... Too much hassle.