Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

NYC Travel Tips

So I think me and the Mrs. Are gonna do a few days in the big apple this summer. I've never been, and I know we have some new Yorkers here, so I thought I'd solicit opinions. It will be mid July if that matters. 

Things to see - statue of liberty, 911 memorial, central park, 5th Ave, times square, Broadway, these are a given. Anything I'm missing? Best way to see a Broadway show cheap?

Stay - cheap as possible, in Manhattan. Thoughts? We live in Asia, we're cool with slumming it.

Eat - obviously want tips on where to get the true NYC pizza experience. A good deli to try would be nice. Any other places that I must try. I'm willing to spend if it's worth it, but mainly prefer to eat real food over fine dining.

Events - anything cool going on that time of year? Sadly, we can't make it by the 4th. 

Any other suggestions welcome. Is it even worth leaving Manhattan to see any of the other Burroughs? Best way to get to Manhattan from airport? Is the subway safe at night? Any areas to avoid after dark?

Keep in mind that it’s  been a few years since I lived and worked there but here ya go:

1. Don’t skimp the hotel if you don’t have to.  You might be used to Asian sh!tholes but just find the best deal you can get in midtown Manhattan   I like the Royalton and the Algonquin.  

2.  See a Broadway Show.  Stubhub might be worth a shot. Just pick one that sparks your interest, even in the slightest, and go.  

3.   Go to a Yankees game.   Baseball might bore you but it’s as American as it gets.   Immerse yourself in the experience and let your wife do the same  

4. Check out the Met    It’s really an incredible museum.  For something slightly less mainstream, check out the Fricke Collection  

5.  Angelos on Mulberry St for Italian food in the heart of little Italy   

6. Oyster bar in the basement of Grand Central is a hidden gem  

7.  Pizza joints are everywhere. Sample a few slices from different places.  Yes.  Just go in and buy a single slice of whatever looks fresh. 

8.  Tell the cabbie to take the midtown tunnel from the airport into Manhattan. 

9.  No real reason to visit most of the other burroughs. Stay in Manahattan unless you actually go to a Yankee game    

10. Subways are mostly safe, but safer during daylight hours, depending on where you are. 

Cabs can be an aggravation.  Walk as much as you can.   

11.  The fine dining scene is as good as it gets.  But check out Katz’s deli.  (Sadly, the Carnegie Deli is no more) Pastrami on rye is the move at Katz’s. 

Have fun!

The Adirondack Park was created in 1892 by the State of New Yorkamid concerns for the water and timber resources of the region. Today the Park is the largestpublicly protected area in the contiguous United States, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined.

Any solid New Yorker will tell you to avoid the nonsense at Katz. It's good, but there are dozens of delis that are as good or better without the lines and the b*******.

Easily googled.

Best way to see a Broadway show on the cheap is to get a playbill, schedule and literally walk up right before Showtime to any number of theaters.

You'd be amazed what you can get into if your schedule is flexible.

Also, if you want to experience some of the local color, simply take your index and middle finger put them together and Pat your pursed lips a few times with those two fingers.

That is the universal symbol for what the locals call Loosies. These enterprising young entrepreneurs are the backbone of the local economy. And it's a great way to get to know some of the more colorful locals. They'll happily give you tips and advice on the best places to go to for example, change your money and the safest ATMs and whatnot.

If your girl is into chocolate, take her to serendipity for the frozen hot chocolate. It is an experience. And honestly, for most women it's Nirvana. Plus, serendipity is a bit of a tourist attraction unto itself. I think there's now three of them throughout the city.

3 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Also, if you want to experience some of the local color, simply take your index and middle finger put them together empacher pursed lips a few times with those two fingers.

That is the universal symbol for what the locals call Loosies. These enterprising young entrepreneurs are the backbone of the local economy. And it's a great way to get to know some of the more colorful locals. They'll happily give you tips and advice on the best places to go to for example, change your money and the safest ATMs and whatnot.

Yeah. I may not have been to NYC, but I am an American, and a pretty damn well traveled one. Think I'll pass on that advice. 😂

• Haha 1

On the cheap.

TKTS is a great way to get cheap Broadway tickets.

Walk the Highline.

Rent Citibikes.

Plan to walk or take subway. Cabs can be a waste.

Central Park.

Take subway into Brooklyn and walk Brooklyn Bridge back into Manhattan. Great walk.

Definitely check out Times Square. I hear it’s the Temple Bar of NYC. :thumbsup:

Ok, I don't have a lot of time right now, but some quick tips. Don't eat at the 99 cents pizza places. The price says it all. You said your people are meeting you, so when you do head to your Broadway show,  you will eat at Carmines. Family style. It's a NY thing to do but the food is great and plenty of it. You want to spend for a night with the lady? Nobu on 57 . It's a sushi place and it's wayyy overpriced. Don't go there with your folks, it's just too stupid expensive, but you will remember it and maybe catch some celebs. Dress nice and make your reservations soon. Head out to Coney Island one day. It's fun and corny. Now I'm going to tell you something that most NY'rs would scoff at, but as a tourist take the circle line tour. It's a basic boatride around Manhattan but it's pretty cool sightseeing if the weather is right. If you don't want to do that, there are dinner cruises at night that are nice too. They ride you right next to the SOL.  All the boat stuff is on the west side of Manhattan. Lots of air BNB in the city now, check that out. Subways are fine, just stay away from the edge of the platform (kidding. Kinda). Talk to cops in Time Square. They are either rookies or Hams. They love it.  Vudu is on the money about Katz if you want that experience, but this sandwiches are fuckin huge. Split it with someone if it's lunch. And the Oyster bar in Grand Central is good as well. Fock Yankee stadium. It sucks now. The old stadium had the charm. The new one is a Mall.  I wouldn't go if I weren't a fan. I lived in the old place.  Check and see if Billy Joel is in residence at the Garden when you go. Scalp if you have to. If you were gonna spend big on  one thing in NYC I would tell you to do that. Great show, the garden is a top notch venue. I think Phil Collins may be playing there this summer as well. Also try and hit a comedy club. There are some all over the city. I'll get back with more. Vudu hit a lot of good stuff. Just checked, Billy Joel is at the garden July 11. Tickets are tough, but I would pay up for it. 

Titans. All this advice is good. But let me give you the REAL advice. The one thing you have to do while there is GO SEE THE FIREHOUSE WHERE GHOSTBUSTERS WAS FILMED. Then if you see Ernie Hudson ask him to use his cell phone so he can ask “who you gonna call?” 

My advice:  when you get mugged, tell the mugger sorry but he is too late, you were already mugged 3 blocks back.  He'll be disappointed but understand.  :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

My advice:  when you get mugged, tell the mugger sorry but he is too late, you were already mugged 3 blocks back.  He'll be disappointed but understand.  :thumbsup:

Sounds like NY of the 70s/80s. Manhattan today is Disneyland. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MDC said:

Sounds like NY of the 70s/80s. Manhattan today is Disneyland. 

Oh, I know, just kidding.  My wife has gone on a few girl trips there and felt perfectly safe.  I still wouldn't ride the subway in certain parts late at night tho.

My wife's trips were built around seeing musicals and plays.  One of them was to see the Rockettes (we know a now former dancer for them); she got to go backstage after the show.  They won't be performing while he is there though.  HT's suggestions are good and he knows better than I do, but I wouldn't prioritize food.  To me Broadway would be the top NYC draw.

10 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Oh, I know, just kidding.  My wife has gone on a few girl trips there and felt perfectly safe.  I still wouldn't ride the subway in certain parts late at night tho.

My wife's trips were built around seeing musicals and plays.  One of them was to see the Rockettes (we know a now former dancer for them); she got to go backstage after the show.  They won't be performing while he is there though.  HT's suggestions are good and he knows better than I do, but I wouldn't prioritize food.  To me Broadway would be the top NYC draw.

Last time I went to NY I was young and don’t remember much. Now that I’m older and can enjoy things more I want to go back. Plan on going back but it’s not on the top of my list right now. Honestly, Sleepy Hollow, NY is higher right now during October. That being said, I still want to go to NY again and enjoy it. 

9/11 memorial is supposed to be good but I’ve never seen it.  

I was entertaining clients in Manhattan several weeks after 9/11 and they wanted to go to ground zero.  I reluctantly took them down there and 2 of those morons wandered inside the focking barricades to get a closer look at the devastation. 

They came prancing outta there all charged up and high fiving each other about going into the thick of things.  Focking pr!cks   

9/11 and ground zero are not entertainment to me.   

Another thing on the cheap.

Staten Island Ferry. Good way to see the Statue of Liberty.  Free to ride. Get off on Staten Island and jump back on.

On 5/11/2019 at 1:34 AM, wiffleball said:

Any solid New Yorker will tell you to avoid the nonsense at Katz. It's good, but there are dozens of delis that are as good or better without the lines and the b*******.

Easily googled.

They’re not all the same.  There used to be 3 standouts. 

The Carnegie, The Stage and Katz’s.

Katz’s is the only one still open.  

22 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

They’re not all the same.  There used to be 3 standouts. 

The Carnegie, The Stage and Katz’s.

Katz’s is the only one still open.  

That's like saying Pat's and Geno's are the End All in Philly.

Again, easily googled. 2nd Ave is one of many truly legit.

Last time we went daughter was about 5.  She enjoyed fao Schwartz, top of the rock, Central Park, lion king, Tao, and a cute French bistro.  

On 5/11/2019 at 1:33 AM, wiffleball said:
The Adirondack Park was created in 1892 by the State of New Yorkamid concerns for the water and timber resources of the region. Today the Park is the largestpublicly protected area in the contiguous United States, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined.

Looks cool, I have heard of it, but did not pay it much attention....do you know if they support RV's?

6 hours ago, vuduchile said:

9/11 memorial is supposed to be good but I’ve never seen it.  

I was entertaining clients in Manhattan several weeks after 9/11 and they wanted to go to ground zero.  I reluctantly took them down there and 2 of those morons wandered inside the focking barricades to get a closer look at the devastation. 

They came prancing outta there all charged up and high fiving each other about going into the thick of things.  Focking pr!cks   

9/11 and ground zero are not entertainment to me.   

No, it certainly isn't entertaining. It's a place to remember.

Jackass tourists do things like that all over the world, from auchwitz to the killing fields in Cambodia to Hiroshima.

So it appears mom and dad have opted to take us to Vegas on our way out rather than meet us in New York.

So trip is now looking like... Three or four days in NYC, probably including a Niagra falls tour.

Then to Memphis for a couple weeks. My sister has already gotten us tickets to see John mayer in Nashville, which the wife will love for a first concert, and tickets to Hamilton in Memphis.

Weekend in Vegas with the parents on the back end. We will make a side trip to the Grand canyon.

That sounds like a right nice first trip to America to me.

Thanks for the info guys. 

30 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

No, it certainly isn't entertaining. It's a place to remember.

Jackass tourists do things like that all over the world, from auchwitz to the killing fields in Cambodia to Hiroshima.

So it appears mom and dad have opted to take us to Vegas on our way out rather than meet us in New York.

So trip is now looking like... Three or four days in NYC, probably including a Niagra falls tour.

Then to Memphis for a couple weeks. My sister has already gotten us tickets to see John mayer in Nashville, which the wife will love for a first concert, and tickets to Hamilton in Memphis.

Weekend in Vegas with the parents on the back end. We will make a side trip to the Grand canyon.

That sounds like a right nice first trip to America to me.

Thanks for the info guys. 

Check out the shows and concerts in Vegas. It’s much different than it used to be.  

http://popcrush.com/las-vegas-residencies-concerts-2019/

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Niagara Falls is a waste of time. Complete trashy tourist trap.

Really? My mom said it was really cool, and theyve been everywhere. 

Speaking of Memphis, if you DO go to Auschwitz, try the BBQ- it's to DiE for! Jew won't be sorry!

Jew soon?

18 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Check out the shows and concerts in Vegas. It’s much different than it used to be.  

That's mainly what we will do there I'm sure. See a couple shows. Eat. Mom and wifey can shop while Dad and I play poker.

I literally spent a few hours in Vegas in 1998 when I was 18. Saw the mideval times show and walked down the strip. Otherwise never been. So that will be fun. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I wouldn't prioritize food.  To me Broadway would be the top NYC draw.

Ah, but you haven't been stuck in focking china eating this slop for two years. Food is most definitely a priority the entire time we are in the states.

NY Italian and deli. Memphis BBQ. Nashville hot chicken. Steak in Vegas. Nom nom nom.

As for Broadway, the Mrs. Says she isn't interested. But that's just her Filipino thriftiness talking. She's never seen a show, how would she know if she's interested?

She thinks things like dressing up for the theatre are ridiculous, so she may fight me on that. 

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Niagara Falls is a waste of time. Complete trashy tourist trap.

Right. I mean, go once just to see the falls etc.....but its s total tourist trap, I liked the Canadian side a little better

28 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Oh, mom and wife would love lady antebellum, and I can endure it. Too bad we won't be there for backstreet boys. Wife would love that. 

• Like 1

If you can't make it to Niagara falls, at least go to Trump Tower for the Russian Springs!

11 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Really? My mom said it was really cool, and theyve been everywhere. 

Not sure how you are getting there but it's a very time consuming trip with little payoff IMO.  And It is trashy, at least in the American side.  All things considered I'd see Cooperstown again way before seeing the Falls again.

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Not sure how you are getting there but it's a very time consuming trip with little payoff IMO.  And It is trashy, at least in the American side.  All things considered I'd see Cooperstown again way before seeing the Falls again.

You're probably right. But if the wife gets an Instagram picture in front of that, the statue of liberty, times square, the strip, and the Grand canyon, she will just be in Asian girl heaven.

I can read on a bus for a day if it floats her boat. God knows we do tourist traps all the time here. Halong bay last week was a similar cattle car. 

Take her to an Asian massage parlor.

:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

You're probably right. But if the wife gets an Instagram picture in front of that, the statue of liberty, times square, the strip, and the Grand canyon, she will just be in Asian girl heaven.

I can read on a bus for a day if it floats her boat. God knows we do tourist traps all the time here. Halong bay last week was a similar cattle car. 

Have fun. I wouldn't want to talk you out of going. Just preparing you. The Falls themselves are great.