Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

I have caught 12 Pike this year

I had never caught a Pike ever in my life till last October when I ran into one at the end of the season before the water froze.  This year I have caught 12 ranging from 14 to 36 inches.  I grew up bass fishing. I mean bass are fun. I still love them and that is technically what I'm fishing for. However Pike hit like nothing I have caught before. Each Pike I have caught. Even the 14 inch one rocked my kayak and the 36 inch one might as well have been a motor. I have actually started doing something I have never done before.  Using a wire leader full time.  It's literally been the best fishing season of my life. I also have two 13 inch crappies and a 24 inch 6lb bass. (Which  qualifies as a master angler)

I know. Rats ass. 

https://ibb.co/zQDQhjf

• Like 2

It's not rats ass to me! Much respect.

A 13' crappie is a good fish, because they are so wide.

The spring fishing here has been a disaster, because it never stops raining. The lakes are above flood stage, and the dam gates are open. The rivers are brown and fast. 

I have a 12' Porta-Bote. It is old as F. I need to give it a work over. 

• Thanks 1

Congrats. I hopefully will have a good fishing season shortly. The deal with my wife is that I will fish only a few times over winter and spring, but summer and fall is fair game.

My boat is ready, just need the weather to cooperate.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BiPolarBear said:

The spring fishing here has been a disaster, because it never stops raining. The lakes are above flood stage, and the dam gates are open. The rivers are brown and fast. 

You probably are getting the same spring weather we are: 14 inches of rain this week alone.

Awful weather since January.

The weather has been killing me here in lower Michigan. I hate wind. I hate it so much. I can deal with the rain. But anything more than 5 mph moves my kayak. 10 makes it difficult and above that becomes dangerous as it creates wave troughs. 

Water has been muddy as hell because of all the rain here too but that's fine. That's when those bright green plastic grubs crush. 

That’s nothing. I caught 1,000 crabs. :banana:

:doh:

40 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

Look how fat that crappie is. 

https://ibb.co/fYb392j

• Thanks 1

If you're going to be out there fishing for monsters like that, you need to bring one thing:

A Sidearm. 

3 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

I had never caught a Pike ever in my life till last October when I ran into one at the end of the season before the water froze.  This year I have caught 12 ranging from 14 to 36 inches.  I grew up bass fishing. I mean bass are fun. I still love them and that is technically what I'm fishing for. However Pike hit like nothing I have caught before. Each Pike I have caught. Even the 14 inch one rocked my kayak and the 36 inch one might as well have been a motor. I have actually started doing something I have never done before.  Using a wire leader full time.  It's literally been the best fishing season of my life. I also have two 13 inch crappies and a 24 inch 6lb bass. (Which  qualifies as a master angler)

I know. Rats ass. 

https://ibb.co/zQDQhjf

There's just something about feeling that tug, ripping up on the rod. It's awesome 

3 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

There's just something about feeling that tug, ripping up on the rod. It's awesome 

Tugging on my rod right now! :banana:🤗

• Haha 1

Pike are a blast...even the hammer handles...they will hit a lure damn near their own length.  

We are cursed with rain as well....sad times.  

Continued success!!!

🐟🦈

10 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

Are those the kind you can poop in?  

My inlaws used to have a house in the Michigan Yoop off of Lake Huron; pike were always the main target.  I don't think I ever caught one, although I fish more as an excuse to drink than anything.  Master angler I am not.  :D  A lot of my relatives took it more seriously and were always psyched when they caught one.  Continued success brutha.  :cheers:

1 hour ago, lickin_starfish said:

Here's my tiger muskie.

Identity hidden from you dooshbags.

https://ibb.co/5vdB06s

That's a great focking fish man. I am not sure I could land that from my kayak. 

My God though. I laughed so focking hard at that pic.  The Groucho Marx glasses to cover up your identity just set the pic off.  

Congratulations man. Between work and rain, I havn't even tried going out yet. You could be in for the fishing year of your life. Enjoy the ride whatever you catch. Even though you're  a Bass guy, it's nice to hear you're not a fish snob. 

All my buddies are Trout guys, so I get made fun of alot. I enjoy whatever I do, but my favorite fish is a Pickerel. They consider it a junk fish. While they might be right if you wanted to eat it. They are easy to catch. Put up a good fight. And if you get one that's never been hooked before, or been in a fight so that they're  not all marked up. To me they're  just a beautiful fish.

Damn, now I can't wait to get out there. Have fun for me to. 🍻

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kopy said:

Congratulations man. Between work and rain, I havn't even tried going out yet. You could be in for the fishing year of your life. Enjoy the ride whatever you catch. Even though you're  a Bass guy, it's nice to hear you're not a fish snob. 

All my buddies are Trout guys, so I get made fun of alot. I enjoy whatever I do, but my favorite fish is a Pickerel. They consider it a junk fish. While they might be right if you wanted to eat it. They are easy to catch. Put up a good fight. And if you get one that's never been hooked before, or been in a fight so that they're  not all marked up. To me they're  just a beautiful fish.

Damn, now I can't wait to get out there. Have fun for me to. 🍻

Thanks man. 

Fock no I'm no snob.  I love to fish and I catch what is hitting. I'm literally using the same lure for everything. Not even joking. I use a giant oversized bright green grub. 

In fact I want to hit a personal triple crown for me. I want to catch a master angler bass,Pike and crappie. 

I have the master angler bass. Caught her right after the ice broke. 24 inches. 6lb.  

A master angler crappie is 14 inches and I KNOW they are in there. I have 2 13 inchers this year. So it's reasonable to think I can. 

The master angler Pike is gonna be tough. That is 40 inches. And 20 years old. This lake had a drought 20 years ago that killed off most of the Pike. Not sure a 40 incher is in here. 

• Like 1

Good work bro. We got into some walleyes last night. Caught 3.  Middle one was 21 inches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

...from my kayak. 

Any tips for what to look for in a kayak? I've been considering getting one to get on the smaller bodies of water around here.

23 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

Any tips for what to look for in a kayak? I've been considering getting one to get on the smaller bodies of water around here.

The one I use is closed face. It has an opening for me to sit in but it's covered and I use a paddle. I feel like it's safer in the wind than open face ones, some of which are peddle powered . Also. Don't anchor. Just don't. It's more trouble than it's worth and way more dangerous than it seems. 

14 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

Thanks, I hadn't considered anchoring issues.

Not a problem . You don't unless it's brought to your attention or it's too late and your about to get rolled. I watched someone get rolled and learned from their mistake. 

1 hour ago, DuckStupid said:

Good work bro. We got into some walleyes last night. Caught 3.  Middle one was 21 inches. 

Fished Andrusia yesterday.  Ended up with 9 in my boat.  A buddy of mine landed over 50 but he's hard core.  He had his limit before i even hit the water. 

Pike are pretty fun to fish. 

I’d never caught one until a couple years ago up in Wisconsin.   I was fishing for bass with top water lures and the pike seemed to like em too.  I caught 3 that weekend, 15-18”.  Tossed those back, but cleaned and grilled the bass.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Pike are pretty fun to fish. 

I’d never caught one until a couple years ago up in Wisconsin.   I was fishing for bass with top water lures and the pike seemed to like em too.  I caught 3 that weekend, 15-18”.  Tossed those back, but cleaned and grilled the bass.  

I'm in lower Michigan but I grew up in ga. I caught massive catfish and bass. Actually a 27lb catfish is the last fish I killed and ate when I was 19. I regretted killing it immediately. I have been CPR since. Catch. Photograph. Release.  

The stars are going to line up for me this week. My ex's days are Tues wed and Thursday and those are going to be the best days this week.  All in the 60s with low wind. I get out at 5 and I'm kid free. I'll be on the water by 530 and stay out till 9.  These are gonna be my big fish days. 

• Like 2

Soooo. I had what was probably my master angler on recently. 

Shitty day all around. Rain. Wind. More of both than I wanted. I kept grounding myself on lillypad islands to keep from being super pushed around. Hooked into a monster Pike. Really nice. Good fight I almost get him to the kayak and the hook bends into an L and broke my leader. Like. It fell apart. All of it. Came out looking like I tossed it into a garbage disposal. 

I went on and grabbed some gamakatsu hooks that are huge and sharp and a stronger wire leader. I hope to have a few days this week when the boy goes to his moms to try it out.  I was able to catch some bass yesterday with it in lip locations the other hook was not getting so hopefully it gets better sets too. 

fishing is merely and excuse to get away from the wife and drink.

I've been out for the past 4 days.  Ended up catching 12 walleye with only one of them to small to keep.  Been eating well.   :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pike are fun and plentiful where I am from. 

My neighbor a few years back was ice fishing and caught a giant muskellunge.  He could barely get it through the hole.  No way it was going back in.  Now its hung up in his house.  Biggest non ocean fish Ive ever seen in person.  Massive.  I have never caught a muskellunge.  But plenty of good sized pike.  Pike are robust and much less finicky than Walleye.  Im usually fishing for Walleye when I land a pike.