Sign in to follow this  
edjr

John Daly permitted the use of a cart for 2019 PGA Championship at Bethpage Black

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/john-daly-permitted-the-use-of-a-cart-for-2019-pga-championship-at-bethpage-black/?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQECAEoAQ==

You won't see John Daly lumbering after one of his mammoth drives at the 2019 PGA Championship at Bethpage Black next week. Instead, you'll see him propelled by a motorized vehicle as Daly has received approval from the PGA of America to use a cart to scoot around the massive three-time major host in New York.

Daly, who won the 1991 PGA Championship and is exempt for the rest of his playing career, has a bum knee, and Bethpage is no place for a bum knee.

"I hope I don't get a lot of grief from the fans," Daly told the AP. "My knee is screwed. I had the meniscus cut out. I have osteoarthritis so bad ... I can walk up a hill, I just can't walk down one."

There is major championship precedent here, although not for Daly and not at a PGA Championship. Casey Martin famously used a cart in multiple U.S. Opens in his career. Daly has also used a cart but not at a major and not on the PGA Tour at all.

Sad.

Somewhere Casey Martin is saying "WHAT THE FOCK MAN"

Martin got screwed, and knew he was being screwed, but couldn't raise his voice if he wanted a career.  For Daly, it's just another FU to the PGA.

I hope he gets drunk and drives it into the water.  :cheers:

• Haha 2

I didn't like Casey Martin back in the day and was glad they told his crippled a$$ to walk or GTFO. Jon Daly is awesome and I am glad the PGA stepped up here and is doing the right thing. 

19 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Who here doesnt use a cart ? 

I don't if the weather is sh1tty or if it’s cart-path only.

I'm as big a JD fan as there is - but if you can't 'go, you don't go.

5 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I'm as big a JD fan as there is - but if you can't 'go, you don't go.

Perhaps the PGA wants to start using Carts in certain situations and this opens the door.  I really think this is the case.

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Perhaps the PGA wants to start using Carts in certain situations and this opens the door.  I really think this is the case.

Maybe - but in the process what they're really opening is Pandora's Box.

I'm a traditionalist but I get it, it's 2019 and carts are an option. But if you're going to use them, make them available to the entire field - handicap/injury or not.

They let you leave the pin in on the greens and drop from you knees now, why not.  Pretty soon there will be clowns mouths on the greens.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Maybe - but in the process what they're really opening is Pandora's Box.

I'm a traditionalist but I get it, it's 2019 and carts are an option. But if you're going to use them, make them available to the entire field - handicap/injury or not.

The only real reason they walk is for the face time.  Riding is impersonal.  Let's not pretend there is anything more than that.  99% of the world rides when they play.

5 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The only real reason they walk is for the face time.  Riding is impersonal.  Let's not pretend there is anything more than that.  99% of the world rides when they play.

Face time and tv is big reason for sure, but it's not the only reason.

80% of people wear shorts while they play too and the Tour hasn't caved to that.

32 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Who here doesnt use a cart ? 

I walk as much as I can.  

Ride in tournys and mens league.  

Ill ride if it is a 90 degree humid summer day.  Or if  getting drunk

I walk a lot this time of year.  I prefer to walk if it isnt grueling and tend to play better.  

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

80% of people wear shorts while they play too and the Tour hasn't caved to that.

Never trust a guy who golfs in jeans or jorts.

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Never trust a guy who golfs in jeans or jorts.

Or Cargo shorts. :nono:

2 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I honestly can't think of another.  I don't buy "tradition", the answer to everything is money.   When the Shirts and Pants and Shoes and Belt and Bag, are hidden on a cart, that I understand.

You and I both know that someday, the Masters will be the last "walking" tournament.  And then it won't. 

Just now, TimmySmith said:

I honestly can't think of another.  I don't buy "tradition", the answer to everything is money.   When the Shirts and Pants and Shoes and Belt and Bag, are hidden on a cart, that I understand.

You and I both know that someday, the Masters will be the last "walking" tournament.  And then it won't. 

I buy tradition as the main reason carts aren't allowed - even more so than face time. Heck, you can't even use range finders during a tour event yet.

But the issue of slow play is hot and heavy on everyone's mind. Outside of carts as a way to speed up play, I don't 'see them ever being part of the tour game. Least not in my lifetime.

Just now, Cruzer said:

I buy tradition as the main reason carts aren't allowed - even more so than face time. Heck, you can't even use range finders during a tour event yet.

But the issue of slow play is hot and heavy on everyone's mind. Outside of carts as a way to speed up play, I don't 'see them ever being part of the tour game. Least not in my lifetime.

I could see the "experimental" use of carts on Thursday and Friday of a tournament in the near future (5-10 years).   The Carts of course will resemble stock cars, with all the advertising.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I could see the "experimental" use of carts on Thursday and Friday of a tournament in the near future (5-10 years).   The Carts of course will resemble stock cars, with all the advertising.

Oh for sure, those money greedy bastards aren't passing up a chance to make money off of it. :D 

12 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Or Cargo shorts. :nono:

I would give up the game if I couldn't wear cargo shorts. I'm on the course to get drunk and play, not for a fashion show. How else am I supposed to carry all this with only 2 pockets

tees

exrta ball

dip

bag of weed

lighter

an extra beer

wallet (front pocket) 

gram of blow

:dunno:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I would give up the game if I couldn't wear cargo shorts. I'm on the course to get drunk and play, not for a fashion show. How else am I supposed to carry all this with only 2 pockets

tees

exrta ball

dip

bag of weed

lighter

an extra beer

wallet (front pocket) 

gram of blow

I can't stand to play golf with a buncha sh!t in my pockets.  I toss my keys, wallet, knife, etc into my bag as soon as I put my shoes on.  The only things I leave in my pocket are a quarter and a tee.  

11 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

tees

exrta ball

dip

bag of weed

lighter

an extra beer

wallet (front pocket) 

gram of blow

:lol: :unsure:

15 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

tees

exrta ball

dip

bag of weed

lighter

an extra beer

wallet (front pocket) 

gram of blow

Cargo shorts hell, you need a fanny pack.  :o

5 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Cargo shorts hell, you need a faggy pack.  :o

ghey

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

ghey

They make them with built in phone chargers now. That's not ghey

Just now, bostonlager said:

They make them with built in phone chargers now. That's not ghey

Battery case FTW

49 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

This has to be the reason. It seems odd to me to not allow carts like the ease of travel is some competitive advantage. I mean, I kind of get it but eh. Should they ban water bottles on football sidelines cuz hydration is too healthy? 

Smart for the PGA to let him have it his way, especially since he has zero chance.  If they denied his request the talking heads woulda had a field day for a couple of days.

I understand it's JD's right to play if he wants. As a former champion, he can play forever............. My question is, why?

If you're body is that's wrecked and even with a cart you have zero chance - why the hassle? :dunno:

11 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I understand it's JD's right to play if he wants. As a former champion, he can play forever............. My question is, why?

If you're body is that's wrecked and even with a cart you have zero chance - why the hassle? :dunno:

So he can sell stuff in the parking lot and get some cash for wearing those goofy pants on tv.

4 divorces, a drinking problem and a gambling addiction all need to be paid for.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

His biggest payday of the year. Certainly gets 6 figures to show up at his sponsor's tent.  

6 hours ago, bostonlager said:

tees

exrta ball

dip

bag of weed

lighter

an extra beer

wallet (front pocket) 

gram of blow

Is your real name Frank?  I think we play together in many tournaments.

They should put a keg on every hole too. 

20 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They should put a keg on every hole too. 

Fireball shots