Sign in to follow this  
bostonlager

If I was yellow and squinted a lot I would be mad about this

I guess I should start lying about my income, race, and education now.

This is funny to me, I can think of a dozen ways to game this stupidity and use it to my advantage....

I'm throwing out a thetical here for the last spot available in a given freshman class. 

Student A: comes from a rich family in a well off neighborhood scores 1400 on the SAT. 

Student B: comes from a poor family in the ghetto scores a 1350 on the SAT. 

Even though  student A scored higher and has the ability to straight cash homey pay for tuition we are going to admit student B and force them to take out loans that they will end up b1itching about having to payoff for the next 25 years. Awesome plan. :thumbsup:

Annnnndddd....later, when it goes to sh!t, claim it was a racist scheme intent to exploit minorities....😂

One of my biggest problem with these things is nice areas stay nice through hard work. A school is good not because of money, but because parents care. In this article they call that privilege and I'm so sick of that sh1t.

• Like 2

We all know what they are doing.  Wouldn't it just be easier to ask if their relatives like Tyler Perry films?

30 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I'm throwing out a thetical here for the last spot available in a given freshman class. 

Student A: comes from a rich family in a well off neighborhood scores 1400 on the SAT. 

Even though  student A scored higher and has the ability to straight cash homey pay for tuition we are going to admit student B and force them to take out loans that they will end up b1itching about having to payoff for the next 25 years. Awesome plan. :thumbsup:

I've mentioned a lot of this before but... I interview applicants for MIT.  Applicants are self-regulating inasmuch as you don't apply if you aren't qualified.  Yet they can only admit a single digit number of applicants.  So how to decide?  The challenge with kids who come from adversity is their readiness to compete at an elite university.  Most can't and are being set up for failure.  They would be better off going somewhere else, graduating, getting a good job, and setting up their kids to be successful at such a place.  Occasionally I get a kid who is a rock star and can succeed, and I report as much.  Usually not.

I'm concerned because I think the process I just described works, but now elite schools will get this adversity number.  MIT has increasingly become a SJW place, and they may look at the score and make what I would consider poor decisions.  

If I get off of my ass and set up a trip, I'm heading back there for my 30th reunion in a month.  One of my best friends (34B, engineering cute) just left as coordinator of us interviewers, hopefully I'll see her and I'll ask her what she thinks about this.

49 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

One of my biggest problem with these things is nice areas stay nice through hard work. A school is good not because of money, but because parents care. In this article they call that privilege and I'm so sick of that sh1t.

Agree to an extent.  The word privilege implies that something is bestowed and not earned.  That's not by accident.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

I guess I should start lying about my income, race, and education now.

I was born a poor black child. 

52 minutes ago, DonS said:

I was born a poor black child. 

That’s how my kids will identify when it’s time for college applications.

4 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

You nailed it. Are we to assume only bad teachers teach at bad schools? Absolutely not. The problem with bad schools isn't the teachers or the management, it's the kids...who are a direct reflection of their parents. 

You can pour endless amounts of money into these schools and it won't matter because the parents don't care.

• Like 1

I give em credit, they have been doing this all along, at least now they are being honest

also I have a feeling that the redneck from the Ozarks with a 1300 isnt getting any help

1 hour ago, Brad GLuckman said:

You nailed it. Are we to assume only bad teachers teach at bad schools? Absolutely not. The problem with bad schools isn't the teachers or the management, it's the kids...who are a direct reflection of their parents. 

You can pour endless amounts of money into these schools and it won't matter because the parents don't care.

The city I work in spends an astronomical amount of dollars per student. Despite that, the schools are an absolute abomination.  We had an 8th grader set a trashcan on fire a few months ago.  Each classmate had to write a "student narrative" of the events.  You literally couldnt read half of them.  Misspelled words, backwards letters...truly sad.  The ones you could read, were straight up thug.  The teachers are not underpaid, but they earn their money.  No matter how hard they try, you cant teach the thug lifestyle out of these fukers.

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

The city I work in spends an astronomical amount of dollars per student. Despite that, the schools are an absolute abomination.  We had an 8th grader set a trashcan on fire a few months ago.  Each classmate had to write a "student narrative" of the events.  You literally couldnt read half of them.  Misspelled words, backwards letters...truly sad.  The ones you could read, were straight up thug.  The teachers are not underpaid, but they earn their money.  No matter how hard they try, you cant teach the thug lifestyle out of these fukers.

Where we went wrong was making free education a right, rather than the privilege that it is.

They should be kicking kids out right left and sideways. But they won't. And thus the education is ruined for everyone.

I truly feel bad for the kids that get it. That realize education is their way out... But can't get it because they go to a school dominated by stupid thugs. 

8 hours ago, nobody said:

Agree to an extent.  The word privilege implies that something is bestowed and not earned.  That's not by accident.

Good schools earn it every single day. From the parents volunteering in the class room to the lunch room mom's the dad's building sets for plays and helping in the school yard.

Well college basketball should follow this example. Give the kids that come from higher income/lower crime neighborhoods a better chance to make the teams.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bostonlager said:

That wouldn't be a controversial outcome: a fifty point difference with Student B coming from low income and a minority.

What happens in reality is more like the kid with the 1400 is bypassed by a minority kid who ate his pencil, shat in the corner of the room, and wiped his a$$ with the answer sheet.

18 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Loosely based on a true story. Congrats Sunshine.