Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Explain Sudoku to me

I’ve seen it played and heard it explained to me dozens of times and still couldn’t tell you how to play or be able to win even the simplest of boards. I’m not that bad with numbers but pretty bad, letters are more my thing. 

It's a logic puzzle.

You use the digits 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9 to fill in each line and box without overlapping.

If my column of numbers already has a 4 in it, that's the only four in that column and every other number in the column is a non-4.

YOu'll frequently get in a spot where 'hmm one of these numbers is either a 3 , another is a 6, another is a 7'.... dunno which is which... stuck...  and then you go around looking for which ones you CAN guess and hope that domino effect opens something else up somewhere else.

Its semi fun......can be a challenge..Im still convinced that on some puzzles, especially the hard ones, you have to guess

wiff doesn't get a logic game? #shocked

J/K........It's a good time waster wiff. There are different levels to them and I usually stick with the medium ones. 

Look at the columns, rows (and the two diagonal rows) and 9 box segments. Each number is used only once in each of those.

Each row has the numbers 1-9 in it.

Each column has the numbers 1-9 in it.

Each square has the numbers 1-9 in it.

You have to figure out what numbers go in each box without breaking the rules.

31 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Each row has the numbers 1-9 in it.

Each column has the numbers 1-9 in it.

Each square has the numbers 1-9 in it.

You have to figure out what numbers go in each box without breaking the rules.

This, and depending on the difficulty level of the puzzle it will start with more or fewer numbers already filled in.  There is only one way to solve it.

I'm surprised you never did one in your TV Guide.

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

Its semi fun......can be a challenge..Im still convinced that on some puzzles, especially the hard ones, you have to guess

I'm a big puzzle guy, including doing the hard sudoku in our Sunday paper every week.  I finish it 2/3 of the time or so.  I don't think you should need to guess; I think there is a way to logically solve them all.  Which frustrates me 1/3 of the time.  :thumbsup:

Wiff needs everything explained to him...  His TDS is taking him over...

56 minutes ago, nobody said:

It's all about kenken nowadays

I like kenken, and kakuro as well.  :thumbsup:

The way I like to do sudoku is first view the puzzle as nine 3x3 squares and try to hunt all nine "1"s first, then all nine "2"s, etc.  You might fill in some easy numbers that way.

3 hours ago, riversco said:

The way I like to do sudoku is first view the puzzle as nine 3x3 squares and try to hunt all nine "1"s first, then all nine "2"s, etc.  You might fill in some easy numbers that way.

I like to look at the solution and then copy the numbers in.  It's amazing how fast I solve them that way.