Sign in to follow this  
BiPolarBear

Storage Units

My wife's mom told me that they had a relative that moved to a smaller home and got a storage unit that she kept for many years, When she died, they opened it up to see what treasures it held. It was full of old magazines and mason jars. She spent around $20,000 for a bunch of worthless that went right in the dumpster...next to her body. Their family is cheap.

Ok; I was kidding about the body in the dumpster part.

I spoke to a guy that works at a storage facility. He told me they have old cars that have sat so long that the tires rotted off, and they were sitting on the rims. I don't know if people think that "someday" they will have the money to fix them up or what. I doubt many of the cars are worth nearly what they have spent on storage in their present condition. 

Got a storage unit, or a story about one? Do share with the geeks.  🙂

I focked a blonde with big teets at a storage auction once.  Her bald ass husband wasn't too happy but he was to busy lying about the value of shiot he bought there so there was no fight.

I have had a storage unit since my ex-wife and I separated, like 10 years ago.  There is not a month that goes by where I don't promise myself that I'll empty it this month.  It is a gigantic waste of money and I'm ashamed.  It's crap too I'm sure, I don't even know what's in there.  You just get to the point where it's easier to pay $65 than to go empty it and you always lie to yourself and say next month...

• Like 1

They keep being built so people must have a ton of junk to store.  My wife and her sister share one that has their parent's crap in it.  No one has set foot in it for years.  

16 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

I focked a blonde with big teets at a storage auction once.  Her bald ass husband wasn't too happy but he was to busy lying about the value of shiot he bought there so there was no fight.

I love Brandy. :wub:

6 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I have had a storage unit since my ex-wife and I separated, like 10 years ago.  There is not a month that goes by where I don't promise myself that I'll empty it this month.  It is a gigantic waste of money and I'm ashamed.  It's crap too I'm sure, I don't even know what's in there.  You just get to the point where it's easier to pay $65 than to go empty it and you always lie to yourself and say next month...

In 2017 I helped a guy that had a new baby girl, and no money to feed it. I cleaned three trailers and helped him paint a doublewide. I also advised him on some ways to stop the bleeding on the way he used the little money he had. He had a $135 dollar a month storage unit. I asked him what was in it. He told me Christmas decorations, some old furniture, and stuff. At that point, he had spent $1215 on storage and owed them a month's back rent. I told him to pay them off and empty the unit. He did. 

A Coworkers teenage son got messed up with heroin and drugs.  He was stealing from them etc...she changed the locks and basically the last thing she did was put a mattess in a storage unit so he would have a place to sleep if he needed it, gave him the key and told him goodbye

3 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

A Coworkers teenage son got messed up with heroin and drugs.  He was stealing from them etc...she changed the locks and basically the last thing she did was put a mattess in a storage unit so he would have a place to sleep if he needed it, gave him the key and told him goodbye

Imagine bidding on that locker.

Ahhh, fock.  A meth head....

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Imagine bidding on that locker.

Ahhh, fock.  A meth head....

That's a $200 bill right there!!!

• Haha 1

i ask all the time who uses these focking things. i get some cases but these things are popping up focking everywhere and they are not cheap? i don't get it

9 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

i ask all the time who uses these focking things. i get some cases but these things are popping up focking everywhere and they are not cheap? i don't get it

They are popping up like weeds all over the place where I live. It's unfocking real. 

27 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

There are a ton here; I suspect a lot of snowbirds who don't have a permanent place store stuff during the summer.

Also my son rented one for his stuff while he spends 6 months on a rotation in the Dallas area (Richardson).  We had kindly told him not to expect to dump it all in our house, although we did take his TV and a few other things we didn't think should be in a storage unit during a Phoenix summer.

As Jerry noted there are reasons for them.  I used one when I was between houses and staying with my Mom.  That was for about 6 months.  Can't imagine keeping one for more than a year though.  Seems at some point the cost of the unit would be more than the value of the crap inside it. 

I actually have 2 storage units.  One is my attic and the other is my basement.  Both need a big cleaning since I would expect that half of the stuff is not needed.  

I used one to store furniture etc. after the wife and I sold our last house / before we bought the new one 4-5 years ago. We had a short term rental and didn’t want to load it up with all our shiit only to move again in 3 months. 

I’m assuming most people who have a unit expect it to be short term due to a life event like a move or divorce and it’s just easier to keep cutting a check than it is to clear it out. That or they’re hoarders.

We used one for 9 months after we lost our place to Irma flooding, kept everything there until we found a new permanent place to live rather then moving in and out 9 months later.

This is La Paz, Bolivia, behind me you can hear the thud of mortars and the high-pitched whine of rockets, as the battle for control of this volatile republic shakes the foundations of this old city. (slowly we pull out during this until we see in front of him a fairly long trestle table set out with range of different-sized storage jar) But whatever their political inclinations these Bolivians are all keen users of storage jars. (the explosions continue behind him) Here the largest size is used for rice and for mangoes - a big local crop. Unlike most revolutionary South American states they've an intermediary size in between the 2 lb and 5 lb jars. This gives this poor but proud people a useful jar for apricots, plums and stock cubes. The smallest jar - this little 2oz jar, for sweets, chocolates and even little shallots. No longer used in the West it remains here as an unspoken monument to the days when La Paz knew better times. Ronald Rodgers, 'Storage Jars', La Paz.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

We used one for 9 months after we lost our place to Irma flooding, kept everything there until we found a new permanent place to live rather then moving in and out 9 months later.

You posted pics of the flooding, right?  If I am correct that was crazy and I'm glad you recovered.  :cheers:

7 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

You posted pics of the flooding, right?  If I am correct that was crazy and I'm glad you recovered.  :cheers:

I may have, yes it was surreal, don't wish it on anyone. Just sitting there watching the water rise and rise and knowing there's nothing you can do.

I have got to the point where I am more able to do the whole "if I haven't used/needed it in months, I dont need it now."   So I can't see keeping a storage unit..Although laziness in regards to cleaning it might play a factor.

I just opened a closet door in the basement where we used to keep all kinds of crap..One day about 4 months ago I tossed 90%  of that stuff using that adage.  When I opened it up the other day I thought "yep, still didn't need that junk."  So glad I got rid of it all--no regrets

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, posty said:

This is La Paz, Bolivia, behind me you can hear the thud of mortars and the high-pitched whine of rockets, as the battle for control of this volatile republic shakes the foundations of this old city. (slowly we pull out during this until we see in front of him a fairly long trestle table set out with range of different-sized storage jar) But whatever their political inclinations these Bolivians are all keen users of storage jars. (the explosions continue behind him) Here the largest size is used for rice and for mangoes - a big local crop. Unlike most revolutionary South American states they've an intermediary size in between the 2 lb and 5 lb jars. This gives this poor but proud people a useful jar for apricots, plums and stock cubes. The smallest jar - this little 2oz jar, for sweets, chocolates and even little shallots. No longer used in the West it remains here as an unspoken monument to the days when La Paz knew better times. Ronald Rodgers, 'Storage Jars', La Paz.

I want to thank you for this insightful glimpse into storage in another culture and country. It gives us an appreciation of values past our own. What is a stationary building in our culture, is a moveable storage jar elsewhere. In Bolivia, a citizen could take one look and say: "Hey! That's your mango storage jar!!" 

All this jar talk made me think of Jar-Jar Binks. He is considered one of the most hated characters in the history of film. What do Bolivian's think of him? I just don't know.

5 hours ago, posty said:

Bolivian Tupperware 

Got one. Keep a lot of my trophies in there as well as other things like furniture passed down in the family, military uniforms and gear, stuff from. My wife and I’s Wedding, etc. 

47 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Got one. Keep a lot of my trophies in there as well as other things like furniture passed down in the family, military uniforms and gear, stuff from. My wife and I’s Wedding, etc. 

Those 2’ x 2’ units can be cost effective. Good for you.

• Haha 3

Weird juju here...so my sister 32b calls me up and asks my wife 36c if we want a bedroom set for either of my daughters.  Its a beautiful wicker set...white sand color.  So my wife says sure....  well Im like where the hell are we gonna store this...remember my inlaws moved in last year...she says...we can get a storage unit.   Hahahah...weird juju.  Stuff is quality...like heavy as hell.  

My oldest moved to the basement so she just has a futon.  Her bedroom set is stored in the basement with other pieces...im like...wtf haha.

When I left the US, I had a four bedroom house completely full of sh!t, including the two car garage. To be fair, 95% of it belonged to my Horder ex wife. I literally filled up three of the large construction site dumpsters when I moved out. She fought me on every last focking item I threw out. She's the kind of person who had clothes belonging to her great grandparents, for "sentimental reasons.'

I came to china with one large suitcase full of clothes. That was all I owned.

Today, I could easily pack everything I give the slightest crap about into three medium size boxes. I am a travel light kind of guy.

My wife buys lots of clothes. Our apartment is small. Every year, when we go back to the Philippines, she packs up a large suitcase full of crap she doesn't use anymore and gives it to her poor relations. The nephews race to be the first to greet us, as there's always an old laptop or cell phone in the mix.  

11 hours ago, fandandy said:

It's even easier to stop paying $65 and let some other guy clean it out in 6 months. 

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

I presume also parachutes, green jackets, etc.  ??? :dunno:

1 hour ago, 5-Points said:

It's even easier to stop paying $65 and let some other guy clean it out in 6 months. 

That's not a good idea. I used to represent a storage place. They trash your credit and Sue you for the bill before they clean it out. 

56 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I presume also parachutes, green jackets, etc.  ??? :dunno:

I do have my flight suit there (issued one for deployment). But almost every uniform I had fit inside one green duffle with exception to my service uniform 

16 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

That's not a good idea. I used to represent a storage place. They trash your credit and Sue you for the bill before they clean it out. 

If he'd done it 10 years ago all that would be behind him and he'd be done with it by now.

At this rate he will have thrown another 8 grand at it in 10 years and still have a storage unit full of sh!t he doesn't care about. 

:dunno:

9 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

If he'd done it 10 years ago all that would be behind him and he'd be done with it by now.

At this rate he will have thrown another 8 grand at it in 10 years and still have a storage unit full of sh!t he doesn't care about. 

:dunno:

Yes. I'm just saying, muchcl cheaper to pay someone else to clean it out than get sued over it.

Hell, find a couple of meth heads. They'll clean it out for free. 

32 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yes. I'm just saying, muchcl cheaper to pay someone else to clean it out than get sued over it.

Hell, find a couple of meth heads. They'll clean it out for free. 

The meth heads would prolly move in. :lol:

I get what you're saying. And I'm not really advocating that he breach his contract. I'm just pointing out how dumb it is to pay for a storage unit for 10 years when you don't give a sh!t about what is stored in the damn thing. 

10 hours ago, Gladiators said:

I have one for my boat.

I don't have RV parking, I'm really considering one for an offroad toy and boat. Moms garage only has room for my quad and trailer. :mad:

2 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Those 2’ x 2’ units can be cost effective. Good for you.

There's an inflated beach ball in that one. j/k