Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Whats on your Grill this weekend??

Simple smash burgers and dogs here.  Potato salad etc.  All the fixins.

Usa

• Like 1

I am not sure, my in-laws will be here and they are the pickiest eaters in the world.

going to make some U10 prawns

53 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

going to make some U10 prawns

That is pretty big, but I bought my wife u2-4 shrimp one year for our anniversary. If you are going to brag, go big.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Simple smash burgers and dogs here.  Potato salad etc.  All the fixins.

Usa

Homemade potato salad?  Damn i love homemade pot salad. Mustard with homemade diced sweet pickles.  Or redskin.  Fok I love that sh!t.

Ribeye tomorrow, burgers Sunday.  Haven't decided for Monday yet.

We are supposed to (finally!) have gorgeous weather, after about 2+ weeks of rain and 50.  Gonna be 75 and sunny!  :banana:

Only good thing about that, is my lawn is as green and luscious as it has ever been.

6000 beers, Grilled bacon cheeseburgers and dogs. Going up to Flagstaff to camp with the family. Leaving in the morning :banana:

Gold.  :Mr-T:

Changed it to lobster tails and U10 scallops.

Very good

17 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Got whole hog we are doing. Love me a good pig pickin. 

You should elaborate on that. Do you dig a pit? 

Did a lemon pepper chicken and burgers last night on my new smoker. Came out awesome, first time using it. Trying a brisket today. Any tips on how to do brisket? Using hickory chunks to smoke it. 

4 hours ago, wiffleball said:

You should elaborate on that. Do you dig a pit? 

No. My dad has one of those big grills that fits a whole hog on and that you can flip 

On 5/25/2019 at 9:58 AM, Fireballer said:

Homemade potato salad?  Damn i love homemade pot salad. Mustard with homemade diced sweet pickles.  Or redskin.  Fok I love that sh!t.

My brother in law makes a potato salad in his smoker. Holy Christ it's good. He makes a macaroni and cheese in the smoker too. I have already requested both for when I'm home in July. 

The mother of all sausage called "everything". Made by a local Italian deli near me. If crack were meat.....

Marinated chicken last night

shrimp tonight

Edit: nothing this coming weekend............. going to vegas!  :banana:

Italian beefs for Friday night and Smoked Chicken Wings for Saturday.  Planning on being out on the water both days so simple is the plan this weekend.  :cheers:

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:32 AM, Thornton Melon said:

Dead hooker torsos

The ass is a better cut :thumbsdown:

5 hours ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Baby back ribs Friday on the BGE.

I smoked some ribs on Saturday.  Came out pretty darn good and I had some leftovers last night.  Used a rub from Stonewall Kitchen since I was out of my regular.  I actually liked the rub.  

This weekend, we have some catered BBQ coming for a graduation party.  I didn't want to bother cooking.  

• Like 1

We got some precooked ribs from Costco that were great. If anyone actually cares, I’ll check the brand.

31 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I smoked some ribs on Saturday.  Came out pretty darn good and I had some leftovers last night.  Used a rub from Stonewall Kitchen since I was out of my regular.  I actually liked the rub.  

This weekend, we have some catered BBQ coming for a graduation party.  I didn't want to bother cooking.  

Do you cook your ribs to a temperature or just timed? I cook my ribs and Boston Butts to 203. Ribs fall off the bone.

9 minutes ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Do you cook your ribs to a temperature or just timed? I cook my ribs and Boston Butts to 203. Ribs fall off the bone.

Ribs by time. Most everything else to temp. I have some ribs a bunch of times and find that 3 hours of smoke (225), 2 hours wrapped in foil with apple juice (225) and then 30 minutes with mopped sauce in the oven at 350, works best. I want the ribs just before they fall off the bone. 

On 12/30/2015 at 3:27 PM, Bier Meister said:

i have 3 methods for you:
A-
1. Remove membrane on the back.

2. Rub some type of dry rub on ribs.

3. Take a pan at least 2" tall and fill with either some type of berry juice (used to use apple juice then one day sub'd one of my my daughter's juice boxes...worked out great). Place this on the grill rack closest to the heat source. Then put your ribs on the grill rack the farthest possible distance away from the heat source.

4. Get some wood chips/chunks. Soak them in water for several hours before you grill. Then take some heavy duty aluminum foil and break off a piece approximately 18" long. Put some wood chips in the middle and fold the foil up. Poke some holes at each end, then lay the foil DIRECTLY on your heat source. This will create the "smoke" you need to add to the flavor of the ribs. I HIGHLY recommend apple wood for this, though you can also use hickory or oak.

5. Sometimes we will do the 2/1/1 method of cooking babybacks. This means 2 hours on the grill/smoker, then wrap in foil for 1 hour, then unwrapped for the last hour. That one hour in the foil really keeps the moisture in. Then that last hour you add your BBQ sauce. I would NOT add sauce any sooner than that: most times the sugar in the sauce will burn on the ribs, which creates that charred crust on the outside of the ribs.

6. Mccormicks has a few good bbq rubs. You may want to grab some BBQ cookbooks from the bookstore and make your own rubs/sauces. You can really get some different and distinct flavors, plus it is a heck of a lot more fun to experiment with different spices and will help you understand what each flavor can do. Also, DO NOT apply your rub until about 20 minutes before grill time. The spices in rub tend to try out the meat if you try to marinate overnight with it, and you honestly do not really gain any penetration into the meat overnight. By rubbing it shortly before, the spices are more vibrant on the meat, IMO.

B-
take off membrane
pat on some type of rub
bake for about 3 hours at temp of 215
finish with sauce to glaze at temp of 425 for about 10 min

C-
when i don't have time for longer term grilling (also used to live in the mountains and often could not access the grill due to snow).....
i will create a flavorful water mixture and boil them for 45min - 1hr (naturally cooks off a lot of bad fat). i'll then pat them down with some type of rub. into a low heat oven for about an hour or so (basting with sauce the last 30 min. and then i'll just finish them on the grill (when i could get to it) to get more of a glaze and grill flavor.

When i do ribs, i season the bottom side with a salt pepper garlic mix and the top with my bbq rub that has some brown sugar in it.  When you bite into it, you get the pepper garlic first then the sweet second. 

2 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

When i do ribs, i season the bottom side with a salt pepper garlic mix and the top with my bbq rub that has some brown sugar in it.  When you bite into it, you get the pepper garlic first then the sweet second. 

you should season anything you cook with fresh salt/pepper as a base then apply your rub/sauce/mop

11 hours ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

You're turning your ribs into pulled pork, why?

A simple bend test is all you need to check for doneness in ribs

Pick them up in the middle, if they bend 45 % then they are done, if they break apart they are overcooked

17 hours ago, remote controller said:

tri-tip!!!

This is the one cut of meat I have never attempted. Is it comparible/easier/harder to do than a brisket?

9 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

This is the one cut of meat I have never attempted. Is it comparible/easier/harder to do than a brisket?

much easier and unless you are on or near the West Coast you will have a hard time finding it

38 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

you should season anything you cook with fresh salt/pepper as a base then apply your rub/sauce/mop

First thing you taught me many moons ago!

17 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Much easier.  I marinade for a day then dry rub for a day.  Take it out and let it set at room temp for a few hours, add some more rub, then put on smoker for about 6 hours (250 degrees).  My new Bullseye allows me to have a pan beneath it which I fill with beef broth and one pack of au jus.  I baste every half hour the last few hours then use the aj jus as a tasty compliment.

12 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

much easier and unless you are on or near the West Coast you will have a hard time finding it

I'm in Ohio. Probably why I have never tried this cut. 

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I'm in Ohio. Probably why I have never tried this cut. 

It has two distinct grains (it changes) to cut against when you serve.  It changes.....you will see it.  Being ready for this allows you to cut it correctly and serve a more tender finished product.

This next weekend is gonna be a chicken wing weekend.  I will have 120 big brined wings ready to smoke.  I'm gonna toss them 5 or 6 different ways depending on what my guests want.  I have a new pineapple habenero flavor to drop on them.  Always a fun backyard get together, and we will be watching Pebble Beach!

26 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

not a challenge in my neck of the woods.

did a small one a couple of weeks ago

3 minutes ago, remote controller said:

This next weekend is gonna be a chicken wing weekend.  I will have 120 big brined wings ready to smoke.  I'm gonna toss them 5 or 6 different ways depending on what my guests want.  I have a new pineapple habenero flavor to drop on them.  Always a fun backyard get together, and we will be watching Pebble Beach!

Absolutely love this on smoked and or grilled wings

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=sNT3XP-aNubF_Qa0m7LQBA&q=mango+ginger+habanero+sauce&oq=mango+ginger+ha&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l5j0i22i30l5.1645.9074..11786...0.0..0.359.1585.13j2j0j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..35i39j0i131j0i67j0i131i67j0i20i263.Los0XJ3XzLc

Also love a good blackened or Cajun smoked wing

Also also really enjoy a smoked/fried wing just make sure to use a low sugar rub when making them