Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Put in for 7 jobs...

All in the same field, but doing different aspects.  We got new management a year and a half ago.. no bueno... many of us are looking.

Montana, Minnesota, & DC.... hoping for DC for several reasons.

4 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Damn bro that sucks. New management always hacks everything up 

Yeah... been with my current agency 16 years... being force transferred across country the second time in 3 years.  Welp... since I'm moving anyway... maybe it's time to see whats out there.

5 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Yeah... been with my current agency 16 years... being force transferred across country the second time in 3 years.  Welp... since I'm moving anyway... maybe it's time to see whats out there.

Good luck beer. 

My daughter just changed jobs. At the start of the interview the lady tells her 'Just letting you know we already have two strong candidates for the jobs posted'. My daughter kept her composure and reacted positively. She ended up getting the job and as it turns out the lady was testing all the candidates with that statement to see how they react.

Stay positive and confident man.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Good luck. Name dropping typically helps. Feel free to use my name. 👍

'You like movies with Gladiators in them?"

"As a matter of fact, I KNOW a Gladiator!"

• Haha 1

Best of luck, been through the new management deal a few times. Not always awesome. We only get one shot at this life deal, no point in being miserable any longer than you have to.

You are dumping those tools. Good for you. :thumbsup:

You put your life on the line, and do not deserve to get jerked around. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Good luck beer. 

My daughter just changed jobs. At the start of the interview the lady tells her 'Just letting you know we already have two strong candidates for the jobs posted'. My daughter kept her composure and reacted positively. She ended up getting the job and as it turns out the lady was testing all the candidates with that statement to see how they react.

This is  also a tactic to drive her salary request down or increase the likelihood that she takes their first offer without countering. My company did it to me.

15 hours ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Good luck beer. 

The response is, that's fine. I am already weighing two offers from good companies. I just wanted to meet with you because I have heard good things about this company. 

23 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

The response is, that's fine. I am already weighing two offers from good companies. I just wanted to meet with you because I have heard good things about this company. 

What did Waffle House say when you gave them that line?

1 hour ago, The PosterFormerlyKnownAs said:

Why the fock would you want to come to DC?  I’d love to get out of here.  Horrible traffic, work-a-holics, crazy expensive housing.

I was thinking similar although I haven't lived there.  Based on his prior locations I'd pick Montana or Minnesota.  :cheers:

1 hour ago, The PosterFormerlyKnownAs said:

Why the fock would you want to come to DC?  I’d love to get out of here.  Horrible traffic, work-a-holics, crazy expensive housing.

So...  I can retire in a bit over 5 years.

The job I've been transferred to in Montana... I'll supervise initially about 155 employees, growing to about 330 in 4 years.  Because of the locality pay decrease from Portland and the addition of state income tax, I'll lose about 20k.  Also this job gets callouts on nights, weekends, and holidays a lot.  Like my buddy doing it now is glued to his phone.  Plus, there is always a chance they move me again in the next few years, really focking with my kids education/friends.  I'd stay with the same agency... same bosses whom I feel are seriously out to get several of us older guys as we tell them "no" when we have to instead of blindly following.

Going to DC... I'd gain about 22k and it's non-supervisory.  Never callouts... pretty chill policy type job.  All holidays and weekends with the fam.  Relatively stress free other than traffic.  And a new agency with some pretty relaxed folks.

So we retire at a percentage of our high 3...  in the next five years my GS level would max in DC... so somewhere around >+7k a year diffference for life after retirement.

Looking at the Stafford, VA area to live if I get it... 1 - 1.5 hour commute... decent houses for $350k... cheaper than here in PDX area rinnow.  Stafford (right next to Quantico) is mostly military and cops... have some agent friends live there now.

After retirement in 5-7 years theres a really good chance we roll to Puerto Rico on the beach someplace... I'm not planning on living out there for good.

2 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

The job I've been transferred to in Montana... I'll supervise initially about 155 employees, growing to about 330 in 4 years.  Because of the locality pay decrease from Portland and the addition of state income tax, I'll lose about 20k.  Alsi this job gets callouts on nights, weekends, and holidays a lot.  Like my buddy doing it now is glued to his phone.  Plus, there is always a chance they move me again in the next few years, really focking with my kids education/friends/friends.  I'd stay with the same agency... same bosses whom I feel arenseriously out to get several of us older guys as we tell them "no" when we have to instead of blindly following.

Going to DC... I'd gain about 22k and it's non-supervisory.  Never callouts... pretty chill pokicy type job.  All holidays and weekends with the fam.  Relatively stress free other than traffic.  And a new agency with some pretty relaxed folks.

So we retire at a percentage of our high 3...  in the next five years my GS level would max in DC... so somewhere around >+7k a year diffference for life after retirement.

After retirement in 5-7 years theres a really good chance we roll to Puerto Rico on the beach someplace... I'm not planning on living out there for good.

Well, that's more info!  DC it is$#@!  :cheers:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Well, that's more info!  DC it is$#@!  :cheers:

Still have to make the certication list and get selected!  I'm hoping!

3 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Still have to make the certication list and get selected!  I'm hoping!

So... why would there be 155 growing to 330 people in your line of work in Montana?  :unsure:

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

So... why would there be 155 growing to 330 people in your line of work in Montana?  :unsure:

Just opening a new facility in stages... first stage is I think 50 new employees very soon.

Just now, mmmmm...beer said:

Just opening a new facility in stages... first stage is I think 50 new employees very soon.

Dumping migrants?  :dunno:

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Naw... just shutting down a few small jails and opening up a large regional facility.

Larger areas we're also in charge of corrections.

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Those filthy 3rd world shitbirds refuse to put toilet paper in the focking toilet and flush no matter how many focking times you explain it. They throw the paper on the floor and don't flush. Nasty motherfockers

2 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Naw... just shutting down a few small jails and opening up a large regional facility.

So you'd be the warden of... what offenses?

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

So you'd be the warden of... what offenses?

The warden's boss's boss rather, of a misdemeaner facility.  All felonies go fed and end up in fed DOC custody.

6 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Kill the inmates. Keeps costs down and you don't need as many people.

23 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

Your are dumping those tools. Good for you. :thumbsup:

You put your life on the line, and do not deserve to get jerked around. 

Well... I used to... not so much anymore.  Out of the stack and on a desk.  

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2019 at 12:42 AM, mmmmm...beer said:

Looking at the Stafford, VA area to live if I get it... 1 - 1.5 hour commute... decent houses for $350k... cheaper than here in PDX area rinnow.  Stafford (right next to Quantico) is mostly military and cops... have some agent friends live there now.

Look around carefully. If you are actually working in D.C. proper that commute is going to kill you. Seriously. And that traffic is there everyday to go anywhere. Northen Virginia is very difficult to navigate. 

On 5/28/2019 at 12:42 AM, mmmmm...beer said:

The job I've been transferred to in Montana... I'll supervise initially about 155 employees, growing to about 330 in 4 years.  Because of the locality pay decrease from Portland and the addition of state income tax, I'll lose about 20k.  Also this job gets callouts on nights, weekends, and holidays a lot.  Like my buddy doing it now is glued to his phone.  Plus, there is always a chance they move me again in the next few years, really focking with my kids education/friends.  I'd stay with the same agency... same bosses whom I feel are seriously out to get several of us older guys as we tell them "no" when we have to instead of blindly following.

Going to DC... I'd gain about 22k and it's non-supervisory.  Never callouts... pretty chill policy type job.  All holidays and weekends with the fam.  Relatively stress free other than traffic.  And a new agency with some pretty relaxed folks.

Sound thinking.  There are plenty of commuter options from Stafford up to DC, and if you have regular hours, can work pretty well.  Virginia has great schools, and if your kids still have college ahead, smart to position them for in-state tuition.  

But check cost of living value on that added 22k ... may not have the buying power you’d imagine.  

Good luck!!

On 5/26/2019 at 10:54 PM, mmmmm...beer said:

All in the same field, but doing different aspects.  We got new management a year and a half ago.. no bueno... many of us are looking.

Montana, Minnesota, & DC.... hoping for DC for several reasons.

If you're a white straight male, good luck on that diversity train.  Slim chance in DC.

3 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Look around carefully. If you are actually working in D.C. proper that commute is going to kill you. Seriously. And that traffic is there everyday to go anywhere. Northen Virginia is very difficult to navigate. 

Where else do you suggest?  I looked at a few areas in Maryland... then looked up the demographics... uhhhh... hey kids... wanna be 3% of the population at school and get jumped every day?

Good luck, buddy.  I'm out in the DC area a few times a year.  If you end up there, the first beer is on me.

Just now, mmmmm...beer said:

Where else do you suggest?

This is assuming you would be working in downtown DC.  Just to look around.  I suppose you'll get more house and more yard down there, but that traffic is no joke.  There is tons of traffic around here, but that is the worst.   If this is a temporary assignment of 5-7 years,  and then you are out, I would look in MD, also.  I could be downtown in 30 minutes, and that includes a 10 minute walk to Metro from my front door. No car needed.  350K will not buy the same house in Rockville or Gaithersburg or Silver Spring or in PG, but a 350K house can be had in those areas, and all are 10-15 minutes from Metro, which is 30 minutes from downtown.  There is also the Orange Line in VA, which is convenient, but I don't know the neighborhoods as well.  

Newbies always seem to be moving the VA, which does have benefits over MD.  Transportation isn't one of them.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

This is assuming you would be working in downtown DC.  Just to look around.  I suppose you'll get more house and more yard down there, but that traffic is no joke.  There is tons of traffic around here, but that is the worst.   If this is a temporary assignment of 5-7 years,  and then you are out, I would look in MD, also.  I could be downtown in 30 minutes, and that includes a 10 minute walk to Metro from my front door. No car needed.  350K will not buy the same house in Rockville or Gaithersburg or Silver Spring or in PG, but a 350K house can be had in those areas, and all are 10-15 minutes from Metro, which is 30 minutes from downtown.  There is also the Orange Line in VA, which is convenient, but I don't know the neighborhoods as well.  

Newbies always seem to be moving the VA, which does have benefits over MD.  Transportation isn't one of them.

I appreciate it man.  I have friends live in the area, but I'd rather not have an 1-2 hour commute.