wiffleball

NFL looking to go 18 games ?

Or expanded playoffs in next cba.

I can see expanded playoffs long before I see a 18 game schedule.

But whichever, they're going to have to allow for a larger roster. I don't honestly know how the owners feel about that.

Expanding playoffs worsens the sport. It made sense for baseball, but it's overdone in basketball. Half the league makes it. 

I hate the idea of expanded playoffs and an 18 game schedule. The system is not broken so quit trying to tinker with it. The only thing the NFL needs to do is tell a small group of focktards to stand up during the anthem and count their money. 

7 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I hate the idea of expanded playoffs and an 18 game schedule. The system is not broken so quit trying to tinker with it. The only thing the NFL needs to do is tell a small group of focktards to stand up during the anthem and count their money. 

The system is broken in terms of season ticket holders when the 2 pre-season home game tickets are the same cost as the 8 regular season home games.

Moving to an 18 game schedule with 2 preseason games is the most obvious fix

1 minute ago, Meglamaniac said:

The system is broken in terms of season ticket holders when the 2 pre-season home game tickets are the same cost as the 8 regular season home games.

I get that, but at the same time, politely do not care. I enjoy football much more on television and the cost of tickets never enter my mind. 

Would they cut back to two preseason games?  No way the players go for any additional games and the easy answer is "player safety"

Just now, bostonlager said:

I get that, but at the same time politely do not care. I enjoy football much more on television and the cost of tickets never enter my mind. 

I understand your POV but that doesn't change the fact that falling ticket sales due to the disgust around paying for meaningless preseason games is what is driving the move to adjust games and that expanding the playoffs would not address the root cause.  Some people are paying 2K plus for a preseason game and if it's week 4 of preseason at home its a complete waste

2 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

I understand your POV but that doesn't change the fact that falling ticket sales due to the disgust around paying for meaningless preseason games is what is driving the move to adjust games and that expanding the playoffs would not address the root cause.  Some people are paying 2K plus for a preseason game and if it's week 4 of preseason at home its a complete waste

Until they keep all games on US soil I don't want to hear a single owner complain about ticket sales. London/Mexico games are bullshiit and the owners could put an end to it quickly if they chose to. Look at Tampa's schedule this year. They go I believe a stretch of week 3 to week 10 without playing a game at Raymond James. 

Expand to 18 games but players can only play 16. Expand rosters. Give them pot. Boom! CBA done.  

Just now, bostonlager said:

Until they keep all games on US soil I don't want to hear a single owner complain about ticket sales. London/Mexico games are bullshiit and the owners could put an end to it quickly if they chose to. Look at Tampa's schedule this year. They go I believe a stretch of week 3 to week 10 without playing a game at Raymond James. 

The London game for us is a big part of keeping the team in Jax, it's a necessary evil at this time.  Hopefully at some point there will be enough of a fan base (legacy fans) that it wont be needed, but for now I'm OK with it

Just now, Meglamaniac said:

The London game for us is a big part of keeping the team in Jax, it's a necessary evil at this time.  Hopefully at some point there will be enough of a fan base (legacy fans) that it wont be needed, but for now I'm OK with it

That is interesting to me. How does that work exactly? Does the "home" team in those situations get the ticket sales in euros?

5 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

That is interesting to me. How does that work exactly? Does the "home" team in those situations get the ticket sales in euros?

LOL, don't know, we are always the home team as per our agreement with the NFL to play multiple years and that one game brings in as much revenue as 2.5 home games in Jax.

4 minutes ago, posty said:

Two more weeks that I wouldn't watch...

:first:

• Like 1

The NFL is so hypocritical when it comes to player safety. Any big hit or hit on a QB at all is a 15-yard flag. But the league has no problem asking teams to play on 3 days rest everybody Thursday night or play “home” games in foreign countries. Now they want an 18-game schedule? Dumb.

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Expand to 18 games but players can only play 16. Expand rosters. Give them pot. Boom! CBA done.  

There is a lot of truth to this.

You give the players weed and they will concede to damn near anything.

39 minutes ago, MDC said:

The NFL is so hypocritical when it comes to player safety. Any big hit or hit on a QB at all is a 15-yard flag. But the league has no problem asking teams to play on 3 days rest everybody Thursday night or play “home” games in foreign countries. Now they want an 18-game schedule? Dumb.

That's how the construction industry is. Wear your damn ear plugs or you're fired. But we can make an exception for trades to work under a suspended load for the sake of progress :doh:

3 hours ago, Meglamaniac said:

Nah that isnt driving it.  NFL could have no one in the stadiums all year and would still mKe tons of money off TV deal.

Money and wanting more is driving it.

Who cares. It will be like every other sport and I won't give a sh1t soon.

Bruins in the stanley cup and I go to sleep at 9:30 still, don't give a and I used to love hockey

3 hours ago, Meglamaniac said:

On first point - Just out of curiosity, are you a season ticket holder?  The Broncos charge me a lot less for the preseason games than regular season.  They also differentiate the price of regular season games depending on the opponent:

http://go.denverbroncos.com/docs/2019/190510_tickets_pricing_map.pdf

On second point - Agree 100%.  No reason for 4 preseason games.  Swap 2 as regular season games. 

10 minutes ago, Strike said:

On first point - Just out of curiosity, are you a season ticket holder?  The Broncos charge me a lot less for the preseason games than regular season.  They also differentiate the price of regular season games depending on the opponent:

http://go.denverbroncos.com/docs/2019/190510_tickets_pricing_map.pdf

On second point - Agree 100%.  No reason for 4 preseason games.  Swap 2 as regular season games. 

Yes, season tickets are sold at a flat rate depending on seat assignment so each game ticket costs the same regardless to opponent.

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/jaguars/EN/buy/details/19F

Just hover over the section you are interested in and it will give you the yearly cost

27 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Nah that isnt driving it.  NFL could have no one in the stadiums all year and would still mKe tons of money off TV deal.

Money and wanting more is driving it.

OK

You don't know much about what is shared revenue and what is not do  you

30 minutes ago, edjr said:

Who cares. It will be like every other sport and I won't give a sh1t soon.

Bruins in the stanley cup and I go to sleep at 9:30 still, don't give a and I used to love hockey

I find this to be the case as I get older. I used to watch/listen to sports talk every waking moment. I have found myself the last couple years enjoying aspects of life outside of sports and going to bed much earlier. I must say, dinner at 4:00 kicks a$$

Gotta love penny pinching billionaires. Yes to 18 games, (that equals more $ in their pockets) no to expanded rosters (that takes $ out of their pockets) would be my guess.

maybe Tommy Maddox will be able to throw for 50,000 yards finally.

28 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

maybe Tommy Maddox will be able to throw for 50,000 yards finally.

go away

6 hours ago, Meglamaniac said:

Actually, it's not really broke - from this point of view.  The argument you made holds absolutely no water what-so-ever.  If a team charges $1,000 per seat for 10 games ($100 per game), and they stop charging for the preseason games... they're going to increase the cost of the other 8 games to $125 per ticket.  The team will get $1,000 per seat over the course of the season whether they do it in 8 game or 10 game increments.  They're not going to stick with $100 per game, they're going to stick with $1,000 per seat / per season.  In fact, I think teams are doing fans a favor by spreading the cost out over 10 games.  If you want to sell your tickets to friends/family, you don't have to charge them more than you would have to if you had only 8 games to pay for the season.

Now, if you want to look at it from the players' perspective, then that's a different argument... but one I don't really support that much.  The players are saying that they play 20 games but get paid for only 16.  Now, we all know the players really don't play 20 games.  Most starters play 2 to 4 quarters, total, over the 4 games.  Even still, they are getting paid.  They're essentially like teachers.  They get paid while they're "in session".  For players, it's the regular season and for teachers, it's the fall, winter, and spring.  Just because the players don't get a "pay check" during August, it doesn't mean they won't get paid during the season.  I mean really, a simple alteration to the pay out system is all they need.  Just cut the checks starting August 1st.  If a guy makes $5M per year, instead of giving him $312.5k 16 times, give him $227.3k over 22 weeks.  Problem solved.

Man, with all the whining and complaining going on here, I'd have thought this was a political thread.

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Actually, it's not really broke - from this point of view.  The argument you made holds absolutely no water what-so-ever.  If a team charges $1,000 per seat for 10 games ($100 per game), and they stop charging for the preseason games... they're going to increase the cost of the other 8 games to $125 per ticket.  The team will get $1,000 per seat over the course of the season whether they do it in 8 game or 10 game increments.  They're not going to stick with $100 per game, they're going to stick with $1,000 per seat / per season.  In fact, I think teams are doing fans a favor by spreading the cost out over 10 games.  If you want to sell your tickets to friends/family, you don't have to charge them more than you would have to if you had only 8 games to pay for the season.

Now, if you want to look at it from the players' perspective, then that's a different argument... but one I don't really support that much.  The players are saying that they play 20 games but get paid for only 16.  Now, we all know the players really don't play 20 games.  Most starters play 2 to 4 quarters, total, over the 4 games.  Even still, they are getting paid.  They're essentially like teachers.  They get paid while they're "in session".  For players, it's the regular season and for teachers, it's the fall, winter, and spring.  Just because the players don't get a "pay check" during August, it doesn't mean they won't get paid during the season.  I mean really, a simple alteration to the pay out system is all they need.  Just cut the checks starting August 1st.  If a guy makes $5M per year, instead of giving him $312.5k 16 times, give him $227.3k over 22 weeks.  Problem solved.

Ummm, no, the point is that season tickets sales NFL wide are down and much of it has to do with the fact that fans don't value the preseason games as they do regular season games so they are moving to more game packs and/or single game ticket purchases.  Adding a 9th regular season home game would be a concession to those fans and could derail the current trend of moving away from season ticket purchases.

Who said anything about not charging for pre-season games??

7 hours ago, bostonlager said:

more cheerleaders?

49 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

Ummm, no, the point is that season tickets sales NFL wide are down and much of it has to do with the fact that fans don't value the preseason games as they do regular season games so they are moving to more game packs and/or single game ticket purchases.  Adding a 9th regular season home game would be a concession to those fans and could derail the current trend of moving away from season ticket purchases.

Who said anything about not charging for pre-season games??

Wrong.  Ticket sales being down has about 0% to do with the cost of preseason tickets.  You know what, maybe 5%.  Any more than that and you're just making things up.  Ticket sales are down predominantly because of the player protests, more access to watching the games at home, and gambling from multiple platforms outside of Vegas.  There's also the over protective parents/faux outrage of the violence of the sport, not generating as much interest from past younger generations.  Those things are about 95-100% of the reasons why ticket sales are down.  The rest, I'll let you pretend it's the $60 each for 2 pre-season games.

Who said anything about not charging for pre-season games?  There are some, but that wasn't my point.  My point was, the cost of pre-season games means absolutely NOTHING.  The teams are going to charge "X" amount for the whole season, so it's irrelevant on how much each individual game costs whether it's a regular season or not.

This is just to give the Browns a shot at winning  7 games. 

48 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Wrong.  Ticket sales being down has about 0% to do with the cost of preseason tickets.  You know what, maybe 5%.  Any more than that and you're just making things up.  Ticket sales are down predominantly because of the player protests, more access to watching the games at home, and gambling from multiple platforms outside of Vegas.  There's also the over protective parents/faux outrage of the violence of the sport, not generating as much interest from past younger generations.  Those things are about 95-100% of the reasons why ticket sales are down.  The rest, I'll let you pretend it's the $60 each for 2 pre-season games.

Who said anything about not charging for pre-season games?  There are some, but that wasn't my point.  My point was, the cost of pre-season games means absolutely NOTHING.  The teams are going to charge "X" amount for the whole season, so it's irrelevant on how much each individual game costs whether it's a regular season or not.

It has everything to do with it, and ticket sales aren't down that much, its season ticket sells that are down and it has everything to do with pre-season games being lumped into the cost.

"The teams are going to charge "X" amount for the whole season, so it's irrelevant on how much each individual game costs whether it's a regular season or not."

This might be one of the dumbest things Ive ever read, yea I'll keep pretending.

52 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Just curious have you ever had season tickets 

On 5/31/2019 at 2:42 PM, Meglamaniac said:

I have, back in the old skool days of the Cards playing in Sun Devil Stadium.  So I paid good money for preseason games to sit on an aluminum bench when it was 110+ degrees, and piss in a trough when needed.

That being said, IMO the NFLPA would be stoopid to agree to 18 regular season games.  80% of starters are known going into the season; the preseason is to determine the remaining 20%.  In this model the top athletes need to destroy their bodies for 2 additional games.  As a former season ticket holder, I understand that the cost of preseason games was built into the overall structure.  I didn't mind going and watching the young guys compete for a spot on the roster; I understood the purpose.  :dunno:

On 5/31/2019 at 5:41 PM, Meglamaniac said:

It has everything to do with it, and ticket sales aren't down that much, its season ticket sells that are down and it has everything to do with pre-season games being lumped into the cost.

"The teams are going to charge "X" amount for the whole season, so it's irrelevant on how much each individual game costs whether it's a regular season or not."

This might be one of the dumbest things Ive ever read, yea I'll keep pretending.

Get out of here.  People aren't getting season tickets because they don't want to pay the personal seat licenses, or stadium building licenses, or what have you AND the cost of the tickets... NOT because they have to spend $120 to $200 for two preseason games.  If they're willing to pay the "X" thousand dollars for the seat licenses and the "X" thousand dollars for the regular season games, the $120-$200 for the two pre-preseason games are not going to be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Seriously, are you implying that IF the NFL teams would give you the pre-season games for free, that the regular season game prices would stay the same?  G.T.F.O.H.!   If the pre-season games were free, the cost of the season ticket plan would stay exactly the same, just the cost of the regular season ticket costs would go up 25% each.  A 10-game plan that cost $1,000 will still cost $1,000 as an 8-game plan, just that the face value price of the 8 games would go up from $100 to $125.  If you think anything different, then you are VERY naive.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:42 PM, Meglamaniac said:

Yes I did.  At Veterans Stadium, for many years, my dad had 3 seats (eventually, it was my brother and I who paid for them), up until the Eagles moved into Lincoln Financial.  If I remember correctly, our seats were $75 each the last year we had them.