Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Spelling Bee...not sure what to think

8 winners....evidently 7 elevens across the country are going to be giving free slurpees away this week.

Its worse than the Koreans taking over the LPGA. 

Knowing how to spell obscure words if definitely going to come in handy for them when they are answering phones for their future company's IT help desk.

I was watching some highlights this morning on the news and one of their winning words was 'historic'.  I know there are some tricky words, as I've watched it in the past, but historic? In the championship round?  How would you even misspell that?  Drobs?

2 minutes ago, The Observer said:

I was watching some highlights this morning on the news and one of their winning words was 'historic'.  I know there are some tricky words, as I've watched it in the past, but historic? In the championship round?  How would you even misspell that?  Drobs?

Indians (dots, not feathers)  usually have problems with the letter "H" and pronounce it "esh"

I could see where it might throw them off. 

I have to teach Friday afternoon babysitting at the china boarding school. Out of 10,000 students, maybe 50 are still there on Friday afternoon. The ones who's parents can't be bothered to pick them up.

So today, the Chinese teacher was being a ######. She wouldn't let the kids who haven't finished their work go play basketball. One kid had spelling. Basically, he has to spell ten words correctly. Perfect score only.

He failed like 10 times, and was almost in tears. So she left, and I tried with him a couple times. He kept switching letters around. It was plain as day that the kid is focking dyslexic. But that doesn't exist in china, so he'll get tormented for another decade or so. 

Next up is Shin Ping Guan Dong from, .... Nebraska.

Slanteyes should have their own spelling bees.

18 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Must suck being out of work :(

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I have to teach Friday afternoon babysitting at the china boarding school. Out of 10,000 students, maybe 50 are still there on Friday afternoon. The ones who's parents can't be bothered to pick them up.

So today, the Chinese teacher was being a ######. She wouldn't let the kids who haven't finished their work go play basketball. One kid had spelling. Basically, he has to spell ten words correctly. Perfect score only.

He failed like 10 times, and was almost in tears. So she left, and I tried with him a couple times. He kept switching letters around. It was plain as day that the kid is focking dyslexic. But that doesn't exist in china, so he'll get tormented for another decade or so. 

My alma mater (Miami U) has in recent years had an influx of Chinese students. Whenever I go back to a football or hockey game I come across them speaking Chinese and constantly saying "nigga." Does that have a different meaning in Chinese or have they picked that up here and think its cool?

2 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

Must suck being out of work :(

I wish.  Nice week's vacation coming in three weeks. And another in late November.  :happydance:

29 minutes ago, The Observer said:

I wish.  Nice week's vacation coming in three weeks. And another in late November.  :happydance:

Enjoying Baltimore again? :(

• Haha 1

Should have had only one winner...3 days later laying in a pile of monster cans and skittles packs.  There can be only one!!!

To make it more entertaining they should have them spell words from the Urban Dictionary.

2 minutes ago, fandandy said:

To make it more entertaining they should have them spell words from the Urban Dictionary.

These little nerds wouldn't know what a bukakke was if one splattered all over their face. 

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

These little nerds wouldn't know what a bukakke was if one splattered all over their face. 

Can you use that in a sentence, please?

• Haha 1

I heard on the radio this morning that the kids have access to a list of the words, in which case its just a memorization contest.  I didnt research to prove or disprove this.

Over under on the % of these kids that are homeschooled?

2 hours ago, bostonlager said:

My alma mater (Miami U) has in recent years had an influx of Chinese students. Whenever I go back to a football or hockey game I come across them speaking Chinese and constantly saying "nigga." Does that have a different meaning in Chinese or have they picked that up here and think its cool?

They are saying nage. It means "that one." Zhege (pronounced jigga) means this one.

A couple years ago, some black guy from America heard people saying nage on the bus. He thought they were saying nigga and kicked their ass. He's probably still in Chinese jail. 

2 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Tiebreaker round should just be trying to spell each other's names.

or  "Customer Service"  and "Technical Support"

3 hours ago, fandandy said:

On 5/31/2019 at 7:05 AM, patweisers44 said:

I heard on the radio this morning that the kids have access to a list of the words, in which case its just a memorization contest.  I didnt research to prove or disprove this.

Over under on the % of these kids that are homeschooled?

Its always been that way.  They used to be a handed a booklet a couple weeks before the event with every word in it so they can study.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:40 PM, riversco said:

Its always been that way.  They used to be a handed a booklet a couple weeks before the event with every word in it so they can study.

So its a memorization contest more that a spelling bee?  I have always wondered why the Indians and various other Asians did so well. 

6 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

So its a memorization contest more that a spelling bee?  I have always wondered why the Indians and various other Asians did so well. 

There is the factor that they do not pickup language phonetically, but instead focus on the letter construction of words.

29 minutes ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

There is the factor that they do not pickup language phonetically, but instead focus on the letter construction of words.

I was coming more from the somewhat tyrannical parent aspect.

38 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

I was coming more from the somewhat tyrannical parent aspect.

I would not discount this factor.  Asian cultures push their kids pretty hard, which is why they exceed so regularly....even though they are minorities here in the US....how about that?