Sign in to follow this  
The Observer

Cleveland Browns- Most overhyped sports team in my lifetime

Anyone else tired of hearing about the awesomeness of a team who still hasn't even finished at .500 in the last 12 seasons?

I realize they are much improved from being the worst team in the league two years ago, but to hear some people talk, you'd think they are a dynasty now.  Mayfield might be a good one. We'll see. He has one career win against a winning team. Let's slow the roll a little bit and let them become good before we start talking about them like they're the 60's packers.  I predict a playoff birth (largely because of Pittsburgh's decline and a weak division) and eliminated in one game.

Until #12 retires or has some sort of drastic decline in play I don't see much point in talking about any of the other 15 teams in the AFC. 

3 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Until #12 retires or has some sort of drastic decline in play I don't see much point in talking about any of the other 15 teams in the AFC. 

At least that team has accomplished something. Listening to Cleveland fans, you'd never know they finished below 500 last season. You'd think they already arrived.

5-11

My friend is one of these people and I made a $200 bet with him Cleveland would miss the playoffs. 

• Like 1

And their schedule isn’t doing them any favors either.  Two of my best friends are browns fans, they’re cautiously optimistic, because, you know, Browns gonna brown

Piss off haters!!!   Its called BTSD...we all suffer from these delusions...the slightest hope makes us superbowl champs!!!

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

5-11

My friend is one of these people and I made a $200 bet with him Cleveland would miss the playoffs. 

Even money?

You can currently get them offshore to not make the playoffs at +105

What is the over/under on wins in Vegas?

Just now, edjr said:

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

5-11

Wager?  5 wins is a push.  You give me $X for every win over 5 and I will give you $3X for every win under 5.  X = some dollar amount we can agree upon.

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

1000 on the under

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Vegas has them at 9.5.  Cleveland fans have them at 14. And the refs screwed them in the other two games.

Just now, The Observer said:

Vegas has them at 9.5.  Cleveland fans have them at 14. And the refs screwed them in the other two games.

8 and 8

5 minutes ago, The Observer said:

They opened at 9.5 and have been bet down to 9. 

https://nj.us.williamhill.com/betting/en-us/football#/

• Like 1

Odell Stickem 5 years in the NFL. 1 season over .500 

31 and 49 record :lol:

Division winner, battling NE and KC for the AFC title. Mayfield is the read deal.

6 minutes ago, edjr said:

Odell Stickem 5 years in the NFL. 1 season over .500 

31 and 49 record :lol:

They also brought in Kareem Hunt. They're going down a path of big names with no regard for character. Another reason why their fans are so overly excited. But another reason it could go horribly wrong.

Just now, lod001 said:

Division winner, battling NE and KC for the AFC title. Mayfield is the read deal.

Mayfield shows promise. I need more than one win against a winning team before I'm going to call him the real deal.

23 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Even money?

You can currently get them offshore to not make the playoffs at +105

It was just a friendly wager. He’s one of those people that loves to hop on the hype train every off season and I finally got tired of him talking about it, so I just said they’ll miss the playoffs and I’ll put $200 on it.  He accepted.

23 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

Wager?  5 wins is a push.  You give me $X for every win over 5 and I will give you $3X for every win under 5.  X = some dollar amount we can agree upon.

The bet was that they would miss the playoffs, I just think their record will be 5-11 or 6-10

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

The bet was that they would miss the playoffs, I just think their record will be 5-11 or 6-10

Fair enough.  I would have given you same wager on 6-10 as well.  No worries.

2 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

Fair enough.  I would have given you same wager on 6-10 as well.  No worries.

8 and 8?

27 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Let them have it.

This is what I say.

That fan base has been put thru the ringer -  I'm happy they finally have some sun shining on them... I'd love to see the Lions have their day too.

Pat, I'll do $50 each (to me) for every loss under 8 and I'll give you $30 for each win over 8.  8 and 8 is a push

or we can do 9 and 7 as a push and go 50 each way

8 minutes ago, edjr said:

8 and 8?

8-8?  I sure as hell hope they do better than that. They've had top draft picks for the last dozen years. And now they supposedly have the second coming of Drew Brees. Plus Beckham. They were 7-8-1 last season.  Pittsburgh lost Antonio Brown. Anything under 10 wins is a huge flop season.

26 minutes ago, edjr said:

8 and 8?

I think that's right about where they finish.  We can find something else to wager on, I am sure....  :lol:

2 hours ago, The Observer said:

Anyone else tired of hearing about the awesomeness of a team who still hasn't even finished at .500 in the last 12 seasons?

I realize they are much improved from being the worst team in the league two years ago, but to hear some people talk, you'd think they are a dynasty now.  Mayfield might be a good one. We'll see. He has one career win against a winning team. Let's slow the roll a little bit and let them become good before we start talking about them like they're the 60's packers.  I predict a playoff birth (largely because of Pittsburgh's decline and a weak division) and eliminated in one game.

My guess is that you watch a lot of MSNBC Sports, a.k.a., ESPN.  I listen to NFL Radio (SiriusXM), and watch NFL Network, so when it comes to over hyped, I have no idea what you're talking about.  They're represented no more than other teams.  The teams most often talked about when it comes to satellite radio and NFL Network are generally the Raiders, Cowboys, Packers, Jets, Giants, and Steelers.

The formula for success in the NFL is

1. Gut the team and have tons of cap space.

2.  Draft a franchise QB.

3.  Surround him with as much talent as possible while the QB is still on his rookie contract.

That's it.  The Browns are super hyped because they are following this blueprint.  Once the QB signs a new deal, then you start having to cut talent and its harder to win.  The window is right now from 2018-2021.  The window will still be there of course after that, but the Browns best chance to win is here.

30 minutes ago, riversco said:

The formula for success in the NFL is

1. Gut the team and have tons of cap space.

2.  Draft a franchise QB.

3.  Surround him with as much talent as possible while the QB is still on his rookie contract.

That's it.  The Browns are super hyped because they are following this blueprint.  Once the QB signs a new deal, then you start having to cut talent and its harder to win.  The window is right now from 2018-2021.  The window will still be there of course after that, but the Browns best chance to win is here.

I really think the NFL needs to address the cap in some way. Specifically the QB impact. Two ideas...

1. Your starting QB only has a certain amount of his salary count towards the cap.

And, or...

2. Players drafted by your franchise can be resigned for a lesser cap hit. Say 75% or whatever. Free agents cost full boat.

I just hate seeing star QBs with sh!t teams around them because they cost so much, or taking a hometown discount like Brady, which is a competitive imbalance. I also hate when teams have to let homegrown talent walk. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

5-11

I bet the over on 5 wins. How much we wagering? 

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I really think the NFL needs to address the cap in some way. Specifically the QB impact. Two ideas...

1. Your starting QB only has a certain amount of his salary count towards the cap.

And, or...

2. Players drafted by your franchise can be resigned for a lesser cap hit. Say 75% or whatever. Free agents cost full boat.

I just hate seeing star QBs with sh!t teams around them because they cost so much, or taking a hometown discount like Brady, which is a competitive imbalance. I also hate when teams have to let homegrown talent walk. 

The Brady hometown discount is overrated.  Russell Wilson is now the highest paid QB in the NFL.  His cap hit is $26mm in 2019 and $31mm in 2020.  Brady is the 18th highest paid QB in the NFL and his cap hits are $22mm in 2019 and $27mm in 2020.  So its $4 million in savings compared to the highest paid QB.  $4 million isn't going to bring in even one top free agent.

Baker's cap hits are $6mm in 2019, $7mm in 2020, $9mm in 2021, and $10mm in 2022.  So you could bring in 2 top free agents with the savings.

If you want to see stupid money, the Broncos cap hit for Flacco is $18.5mm in 2019, $20mm in 2020, and $24mm in 2021.  LOL.

5 hours ago, riversco said:

The Brady hometown discount is overrated.  Russell Wilson is now the highest paid QB in the NFL.  His cap hit is $26mm in 2019 and $31mm in 2020.  Brady is the 18th highest paid QB in the NFL and his cap hits are $22mm in 2019 and $27mm in 2020.  So its $4 million in savings compared to the highest paid QB.  $4 million isn't going to bring in even one top free agent.

Baker's cap hits are $6mm in 2019, $7mm in 2020, $9mm in 2021, and $10mm in 2022.  So you could bring in 2 top free agents with the savings.

If you want to see stupid money, the Broncos cap hit for Flacco is $18.5mm in 2019, $20mm in 2020, and $24mm in 2021.  LOL.

Maybe not a consensus top free agent, but a good one that everyone else has written off. The Pats are excellent at that. 

A rookie deal QB playing well and surrounded by talent is certainly the formula.  

But a FA here or there is overrated a bit. Im sure other teams have their stories.  But the Packers end up with half their roster on IR by seasons end.

The Pats do well with depth.   They realize it isnt a sprint.  That is why they are fine with a bunch of mid round picks.  They also seem to find cheap vet depth in key spots.

What your roster looks like in September doesnt matter.  I have learned this over the last few years.  

1 eample last year for the Packers.

I thought Muhammad Wilkerson was a great pick up.  1 year prove it deal reunited with Mike Pettine.  Well he went down in week 3 and had no impact on the season.

So a nice FA grab to a waste of cap dollars by week 3.   

FAs are nice.  Staying some what healthy is better.

5 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

1 eample last year for the Packers.

I thought Muhammad Wilkerson was a great pick up.  1 year prove it deal reunited with Mike Pettine.  Well he went down in week 3 and had no impact on the season.

So a nice FA grab to a waste of cap dollars by week 3.   

FAs are nice.  Staying some what healthy is better.

Yes the key is to stay healthy.  I picked the Saints to win the Super Bowl last year but when Sheldon Rankins was lost for the year late in the Eagles playoff game, I switched to the Patriots to win the Super Bowl.  Its so hard to repeat even as conference champs because injuries can destroy you so easily.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:59 PM, The Observer said:

They also brought in Kareem Hunt. They're going down a path of big names with no regard for character. Another reason why their fans are so overly excited. But another reason it could go horribly wrong.

Racist

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:52 PM, Gladiators said:

Racist

Would it help if I said the Raiders made a mistake signing bad character Richie Incognito?