Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2019 US Open Thread**

Alright, Ed, here you go:

The US Open is set to begin next week. In response, here's the usual thread to get discussion going. Pebble Beach is the host site of this year's Open on a course in which length isn't necessarily the primary factor in gaining a victory. 

Top Ten:

1. Adam Scott- Having watched Scott at the Memorial and Masters, I just think this set-up is going to fit his strengths right now. Small greens, narrow fairways. Give me Adam to survive that gauntlet and claim his second major title. 

2. Dustin Johnson- Great history at Pebble and even though I'm a bit concerned about his split with his coach, he'll look to do what he couldn't in 2010- that is, close out an Open at the venue. 

3. Brooks Koepka- Only an idiot doesn't have Koepka in their top three. Enough said. 

4. Rory McIlroy

- Performance at Canadian Open was simply spectacular. Back in the top five for the likely favortie at Portrush. 

5. Paul Casey- Played very well at the 2010 US Open at Pebble Beach and is enjoying a very good, very consistent season. Seems like a good fit to remain in contention next week until the very end of the tournament. 

6. Patrick Cantlay- While many of my predictions over the past two years have fizzled in majors, Cantlay's rise has been foreseen. Had him in my top six last US Open and he's been top ten in both majors this year so far. Future US Open champion at some point, I think, if his back holds up. 

7. Xander Schauffele- Much like Koepka, I think it foolish to leave Xander out of top ten lists at majors. Seems to play his best when it means the most. 

8. Hideki Matsuyama- Quietly, Matsuyama is starting to play very good golf again. Tee to green, he looks like a great fit for Pebble, but ultimately he'll fall short due to his putting. 

9. Tiger Woods- Success during the past two Opens here speaks for itself. Look for a solid bounce-back after a lackluster PGA. 

10. Brandt Snedeker- I like Brandt at West Coast venues and his lack of length won't hurt him too bad at Pebble. Expect a back-door top ten. 

Players outside of the top ten who have a very legitimate shot at winning: Justin Rose, Francesco Molinari, Matt Kuchar, Tommy Fleetwood, Jon Rahm

Players who have shown good form at times throughout the year and could again: Webb Simpson, Sergio Garcia, Kevin Na, Tony Finau, Rickie Fowler, Billy Horschel, Phil Mickelson, Marc Leishman, Gary Woodland, Jim Furyk, Kevin Kisner, Shane Lowry, Keith Mitchell, Ian Poulter, Matt Wallace, Emiliano Grillo 

Highly ranked players who have been inconsistent or below expecations in 2019, but have the talent to win: Jordan Spieth, Patrick Reed, Henrik Stenson, Jason Day, Justin Thomas, Bryson DeChambeau, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Branden Grace, Louis Oosthuzien

Darkhorses, but with plenty of game: Danny Willett, Jimmy Walker, Si Woo Kim, Daniel Berger, Tyrell Hatton, Cameron Smith, Kyle Stanley, Aaron Wise, Byeong Hun-An, Abraham Ancer, Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Lucas Bjerregaard, Rafa Cabrera-Bello, Justin Harding, J.B. Holmes, Charles Howell III, Haotang Li, Luke List, Alex Noren, Thorbjorn Olesen, C.T. Pan, Chez Reavie, Andrew Putnam 

Other past major winners in the field: Lucas Glover, Martin Kaymer, Graeme McDowell, Zach Johnson, Keegan Bradley, Bubba Watson

Sectional Qualifiers Worth Watching: Thomas Pieters, Aaron Baddeley, Luke Donald, Jason Dufner, Chesson Hadley, Rory Sabbatini, Erik Van Rooyen, Jhonatthan Vegas, Scottie Scheffler

2 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Alright, Ed, here you go:

3. Brooks Koepka- Only an idiot doesn't have Koepka in their top three.#1. Enough said. 

:D 

Just can't see a guy winning three US Opens in a row. I think that's gotta be near impossible. 

I am on Justin Thomas for the US Open.  I think he has been tuning in for it.  He, DJ, and Brooks are my favorites in that order.  Spieth loses much of his strokes gained putting on these smallish greens and he can't buy a fairway.  Tiger shot his load already.  Furyk and Kooch will contend for 3 rounds then fall apart.  Lefy has the game if he could just contain himself and hit a few more fairways.  I agree , Adam Scott has been playing golf, but he just can' t get over.  Ricky leading the first round would not surprise me a bit. 

I can't see BK winning 3 in a row either.. But Scott has missed his last 2 US Open cuts, and missed it back in 2010 when last played at PB.

Tom Kite and Graeme McDowell have won it here - I think we just might get surprised by another short hitting Cinderella. There are 50 guys who could win it this time instead of the recent 25.

29 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I can't see BK winning 3 in a row either.. But Scott has missed his last 2 US Open cuts, and missed it back in 2010 when last played at PB.

Tom Kite and Graeme McDowell have won it here - I think we just might get surprised by another short hitting Cinderella. There are 50 guys who could win it this time instead of the recent 25.

True and I love that. At Bethpage, there were really only 8-10 guys in contention. Moreso here. And, I hear you on Scott, but I think his ball striking right now is just on a different level. I think he'll play very, very well even if he doesn't win. Johnson and Koepka are the safer bets, though. 

12 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

True and I love that. At Bethpage, there were really only 8-10 guys in contention. Moreso here. And, I hear you on Scott, but I think his ball striking right now is just on a different level. I think he'll play very, very well even if he doesn't win. Johnson and Koepka are the safer bets, though. 

Don't get me wrong, if Scott is there in the 2nd, I'm taking his ass. :D 

On 6/4/2019 at 3:15 PM, remote controller said:

I am on Justin Thomas for the US Open.  I think he has been tuning in for it.  He, DJ, and Brooks are my favorites in that order.  Spieth loses much of his strokes gained putting on these smallish greens and he can't buy a fairway.  Tiger shot his load already.  Furyk and Kooch will contend for 3 rounds then fall apart.  Lefy has the game if he could just contain himself and hit a few more fairways.  I agree , Adam Scott has been playing golf, but he just can' t get over.  Ricky leading the first round would not surprise me a bit. 

edex has your name on it. next year!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, remote controller said:

Haven't got to see any of it yet but Pebble must have toughened up bigtime as the day went on.  

What are you talking about old man?? :lol:

6 minutes ago, remote controller said:

oh hell.........I see now..... NEVERMIND!

CANADIAN OPEN!!! :lol:

7 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Paul Casey is out

??????

17 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Paul Casey is out

Of the Canadian Open? :unsure:

12 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Of the Canadian Open? :unsure:

Hey Cruz... wanna fire up the draft thread?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fumbleweed said:

Hey Cruz... wanna fire up the draft thread?

Ed started it already

Actually, what Ed and Cruzer do are two different things.

1 hour ago, Fumbleweed said:

Actually, what Ed and Cruzer do are two different things.

Yeah I figured that, that’s normally the case. Ed put “DRAFT” in the title. Figured that was gonna be the official :dunno:

On 6/7/2019 at 7:07 PM, dain11279 said:

Yeah I figured that, that’s normally the case. Ed put “DRAFT” in the title. Figured that was gonna be the official :dunno:

Draft July 10

:nono:

Ummmm....Rory moves into the top five after absolutely CRUSHING it at the Canadian Open.

10 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Ummmm....Rory moves into the top five after absolutely CRUSHING it at the Canadian Open.

Kiss of depth

If Rory wanted to shoot 59 today, he blew it by starting off so well. This feels like a case of Rory peaking too early.  He probably comes back down to Earth late in this round and doesn’t shoot the best round of all time. 

Overt/under on how many times we here the word Poa Annua this week: 7,500

I'll take the over...

Koepka: shut up, hit the fairways, put it on the green, you pusses. We are all playing the same course.

😀

43 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Koepka: shut up, hit the fairways, put it on the green, you pusses. We are all playing the same course.

😀

We should start the draft Wednesday morning

For golf's sake, I'm hoping the NBA Finals ends tomorrow night. Would be nice to have the sports world focused on golf over the weekend vs. non-stop NBA talk. 

Futures I like

Xander Schauffele +2500

Justin Thomas +2800

Rickie Fowler +2800

Tommy Fleetwood +3300

33 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Futures I like

Xander Schauffele +2500

Justin Thomas +2800

Rickie Fowler +2800

Tommy Fleetwood +3300

It's like you can read my mind. I've got JT and Fleetwood, and Rickie FRL 😮

It's the US Open, it will be some stiff like Lucas Glover or Webb Simpson or Geoff Ogilvy r or Michael Campbell or Steve Jones or Corey Pavin

You can't lump Pavin in with that group. Webb, either, for that matter. Campbell and Jones came out of nowhere...Glover was definitely a surprise winner, too. But, Ogilvy was a world-class player for a number of years kind of like Webb is now. 

Webb 5 career wins/  

Ogilvy 8 career wins and the only major because 5 other people gagged on 18.

World class? C'mon now 

Kaymer has 3 career wins, 2 majors. he should be there too

Pavin fine, he can be removed. he lead the tour in money once