Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2019 US Open Thread**

5 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

You should not be able to spray it 20 yards off-line on your drives into "deep" rough and still be able to get it on the green from 150+ in a US Open. Multiple times. #notmyusopen

Any US Open where he winners is more than 1 or 2 under par is a failure. 

37 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

You should not be able to spray it 20 yards off-line on your drives into "deep" rough and still be able to get it on the green from 150+ in a US Open. Multiple times. #notmyusopen

It was the weather more than anything.  The conditions were perfect for going low all 4 days. The greens were holding shots they normally wouldn't.   Plus, these guys are pretty good. 

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

It was the weather more than anything.  The conditions were perfect for going low all 4 days. The greens were holding shots they normally wouldn't.   Plus, these guys are pretty good. 

I agree the weather helped. Is graduated rough a thing anymore? The more you miss the fairway by, the deeper the rough. These guys would spray it a mile off-line and still be able to hack it onto the green. That's not how it should be in a US Open.

1 minute ago, dain11279 said:

I agree the weather helped. Is graduated rough a thing anymore? The more you miss the fairway by, the deeper the rough. These guys would spray it a mile off-line and still be able to hack it onto the green. That's not how it should be in a US Open.

Back to weather for a second.  If it is sunny and warm, -2 wins it.  Not only were the greens holding from the rough, they were holding from the traps. Made putts manageable. The rough looked plenty deep to me, I don't know the type of grass, but maybe length didn't matter.  Plus it encouraged players to go for the green, they still had to make the shots.  I found it enjoyable. 

I'll say it again:

You give these guys a short 7000 layout, with NO wind, NO sun, 60* temps and seaside moisture - they're gonna go low, period.........They're that good.

* PB is a phenomenal track and one of the top 3 best US Open venues we have.

* The USGA did an incredible job in setting up this course.

* For once we had a clean National championship - no rules controversies, no video replay bullshiit, no player mutiny, no officials hijacking the tournament and making the story about them.

* Nobody remembers Y.E Yang standing up to Tiger... but they will remember Woodland staring down and taking it to a charging Koepka... What an Open - great stuff.  

Post Analysis:

The US Open has become the major of studs. Like, physically fit, strong as an ox kind of golfers. Just look at the last four years of winners: Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Koepka again, and Gary Woodland. The new breed of golfer is owning this championship of late. Will the trend continue at Winged Foot? We shall see...

About half of my picks were accurate. I called half of the top ten and missed on the other half. Not bad. Ironically, I said back in April that Woodland would be winning a major soon, but I didn't call this one. What an incredible performance by him both scrambling and around the greens. Deserving winner. And Koepka? Geez, that guy brings it in majors. Putted like crap for three days and still nearly won. He's dangerous...every time out. 

Portrush should be fascinating. I love the Open Championship. Rory has to be the favorite right now, but does he want it too much? As for Tiger, if he doesn't play between now and Portrush, he's got no shot. You can't take five weeks off before a major and expect good results. You'll be knocking off rust for 27 holes at least. 

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

I'll say it again:

You give these guys a short 7000 layout, with NO wind, NO sun, 60* temps and seaside moisture - they're gonna go low, period.........They're that good.

* PB is a phenomenal track and one of the top 3 best US Open venues we have.

* The USGA did an incredible job in setting up this venue.

* For once we had a clean National championship - no rules controversies, no video replay bullshiit, no player mutiny, no officials hijacking the tournament and making the story about them.

* Nobody remembers Y.E Yang standing up to Tiger... but they will remember Woodland standing down and taking it a charging Koepka... What an Open - great stuff.  

I remember Yang. That was a remarkable performance given Tiger's invincibility at majors up until that point. 

Jon Rahm next year

next time at pebble they should ban drivers, it is too short