Sign in to follow this  
bostonlager

I support hazing 100%

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

This would never, ever have happened at our house. 

We had a freshman (read: very underaged) girl come to a party.  Not unusual for that era except this one was on chemo for cancer and wasn't supposed to drink, but decided dadblammit I'm going to get my party on tonight!  Unfortunately, this was a rare occasion where we served a grain alcohol punch; usually we stuck with beer only for big parties.  Anyway, she ended up going unconscious, and instead of dumping her on the lawn, we got her to the hospital and figured out how to contact her parents.  

We probably could have lost our charter over this but luckily her parents recognized that we likely saved their daughter's life and were very appreciative of our help.

You don't hear these stories because, well, see TBay's post above.

So you had a party that provided access to alcohol for underage students? How is that legal? I get it that people drink underage, but to be the supplier of the booze to multiple people, how is that a good thing?

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

This would never, ever have happened at our house. 

We had a freshman (read: very underaged) girl come to a party.  Not unusual for that era except this one was on chemo for cancer and wasn't supposed to drink, but decided dadblammit I'm going to get my party on tonight!  Unfortunately, this was a rare occasion where we served a grain alcohol punch; usually we stuck with beer only for big parties.  Anyway, she ended up going unconscious, and instead of dumping her on the lawn, we got her to the hospital and figured out how to contact her parents.  

We probably could have lost our charter over this but luckily her parents recognized that we likely saved their daughter's life and were very appreciative of our help.

You don't hear these stories because, well, see TBay's post above.

Maybe things have changed....like Ive been saying.  Im closer to college age than you guys.  

As someone never in a frat I experienced frat bros at their parties or making pledges do humiliating things across campus.  I realize community work is a staple in what they are supposed to be.  Id bet that is less the case now.  People join to fit in rather than to perform community service.  As someone who wasnt in one maybe I just didnt come across rhe community helpers of the frat community nearly as much I did the big headed frat bros.  

14 minutes ago, sderk said:

So you had a party that provided access to alcohol for underage students? How is that legal? I get it that people drink underage, but to be the supplier of the booze to multiple people, how is that a good thing?

Lol

10 minutes ago, sderk said:

Dood, this was the 80s.  It wasn't legal, it just... was.  We had several campus policemen (also deputized police officers) who were friends of our house and attended the same parties, and drank with said underage girls.  It was a different time.  

If I have to tell you why it is a good thing to get 18 yr old girls drunk... :dunno:

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Dood, this was the 80s.  It wasn't legal, it just... was.  We had several campus policemen (also deputized police officers) who were friends of our house and attended the same parties, and drank with said underage girls.  It was a different time.  

If I have to tell you why it is a good thing to get 18 yr old girls drunk... :dunno:

I used to drink when I was underage, but I never needed to try to get chicks drunk  to get with them. In fact I preferred they weren''t drunk. All I'm saying is, you were using your example as a frat being responsible. But in fact, it was the opposite. I was never against frats, they just held no appeal to me.

1 minute ago, sderk said:

I used to drink when I was underage, but I never needed to try to get chicks drunk  to get with them. In fact I preferred they weren''t drunk. All I'm saying is, you were using your example as a frat being responsible. But in fact, it was the opposite. I was never against frats, they just held no appeal to me.

Same here. Always felt girls being drunk was actually a turn off. 

2 hours ago, Meglamaniac said:

This coming from the guy who hates everything, but yea it's usually the root of any angst, someone somewhere told you no or just never showed interest in you.  Sorry you got left out

I have no dog in this fight, but this statement is 100% correct. Jealousy is the root of most angst.

6 minutes ago, sderk said:

You are somewhere on the autism scale, I'm increasingly convinced.  Are we to believe you had sober girls lined up around the corner to bang you in college?

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

You are somewhere on the autism scale, I'm increasingly convinced.  Are we to believe you had sober girls lined up around the corner to bang you in college?

Nope. Just said that the girls I was with was not because of the result of them being drunk. How is that being autistic? 

5 minutes ago, sderk said:

Nope. Just said that the girls I was with was not because of the result of them being drunk. How is that being autistic? 

How many girls have you been with, and how did you meet them if not in the presence of alcohol?

1 hour ago, porkbutt said:

you called me dooshbag first :(

not very greek brother of you

my apologies if I did

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

Because kids, students...in general have gotten crappier.  

Ask any teacher that has taught for years.

Can only speak for myself and what I experience but I have not seen this is the setting where I went to school.  I still leave in the same city as the college I went to and I still regularly attend Alumni functions of both the school and my Chapter.  They are both thriving and seem as stable as we were if not more so.

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

How many girls have you been with, and how did you meet them if not in the presence of alcohol?

Not everyone is drunk in the presence of alcohol. 

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

It really wasnt hard to pull sober tail in college.  I mean fatties or slump buster type girls were very plentiful.

The hotter...good girls....you are right alcohol was a jump starter.  

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

They won't listen Megla, they've got a preconceived notion and will never understand.  My wife was similar until our son joined a fraternity and she saw the good it did for him.

My experience is a bit unique, because at MIT fraternities were where a lot of the guys with social skills ended up.  Also, when I was there they had about 40% of the men living in fraternities so there was a working relationship with the school, because they needed us.  We also lived in the house all 4 years; I can't think of a single person who moved into some shiothole Cambridge apartment.  It was affordable, in fact cheaper than the dorm including meals, so one could argue that the dorm people were "paying for friends."

We hazed bigly, but never physical or forced drinking, it was all mental.  We did it for a few reasons.  One, when I was there we basically gave out bids the second day that kids arrived, so we needed to make sure they were going to contribute to the house and not just hang around for parties (that has since changed).  We ran our house, from cleaning to treasury to maintenance to food ordering etc.  It was a lot of work.  We learned a lot of life lessons doing that.  We needed to make sure people wanted to be there.

The other main reason was unit integrity.  Not unlike the military, our pledge training process bonded the pledge class together.  My pledge brothers are still some of my best friends; in fact this weekend is our college's 30 year reunion and about half of our class is going; unfortunately I couldn't make the trip.

It just dumbfounds me, I know the root cause of most is rejection of some sort and thats too bad.  A missed opportunity by all involved, oh well

The best reason to join a frat is for the networking post graduation oppportunities. As a matter of fact, it's the only good reason to join one. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The best reason to join a frat is for the networking post graduation oppportunities. As a matter of fact, it's the only good reason to join one. 

Maybe for you, I learned a lot about my self and others with my time in a Frat.  I was also a scholarship athlete so I also learned to prioritize things, time management and diplomacy.  I got better at conflict resolution and learned Roberts Rules or Order, made life long friends that I still socialize with to this day on top of creating a great professional network as you mentioned

Just now, Meglamaniac said:

Maybe for you, I learned a lot about my self and others with my time in a Frat.  I was also a scholarship athlete so I also learned to prioritize things, time management and diplomacy.  I got better at conflict resolution and learned Roberts Rules or Order, made life long friends that I still socialize with to this day on top of creating a great professional network as you mentioned

I wasn't in that kind of fraternity. My fraternity had a three month hazing on Parris Island. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I wasn't in that kind of fraternity. My fraternity had a three month hazing on Parris Island. 

Thanks for your service

10 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

Thanks for your service

I owe this country more than it well ever owe me. Thanks 

Not being goofy.  Maybe I will learn something.

What type of community things did your frats do specifically?  

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

Not being goofy.  Maybe I will learn something.

What type of community things did your frats do specifically?  

Google Derby Days and you can see a major function that benefits Charities across the nation.

We did River Coast Clean ups monthly

We raised money for local Athletic Associations

Many of us Coached/volunteered football and baseball